dreaded damp

Jul 8, 2005
Visit site
I've just bought my first 2nd hand van and was really pleased with my bargain , bought from a lovely old gent who had lovingly cared for it ( or so he said !). Having been dazzled by the pristine interior and barely used facilities I failed to spot the painted over rot behind the curtains round the front window on the inside of my 1994 ABI Marauder 400. I am now worried sick about the structural integrity of the caravan as it appears that any support has gone all down the side and top right corner of the window. My question is simple - how to remedy the problem, how serious is it ( worst case scenario ) and is the van economically viable ie will repair costs outway it's value - I paid 2250. Silly mistake on my part but I'm determined to go caravanning soon - and enjoy it ,depite the bad start

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Wow - bad luck Keith - Though I must say that when I bought mine I took a damp meter along each time and just walked away from those that gave a reading of any kind.

But I am sure you do not want to hears that. Can I suggest you *** out and buy a Haynes Caravan manual - there are two but I do not know which one would be most beneficial. All I know is that having one has helped me immensly.

There is a section on damp and how a caravan is constructed. Gives a good idea of how repairs can be made.

My other point is that unless you signed a receipt that said "sold as seen" the seller is obliged to describe the object for sale accuratly and not misrepresent anything.

If there is clear evidence of the problem being coverred to dupe you up you could try the small claims court.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Keith,

I am very sorry to read of your problem. Clive has given some advice but I think what he writes only applies to sales by traders. Private sales are not bound by the same regulations. Buyer Beware is the phrase, and as the buyer it is up to you to ask all the relevant questions. If the seller gives you a false answer then there are grounds for action.

If as I suspect you did not ask the seller about damp, the fact that he did not disclose it is not fraud it just expososes your own mistake for not asking.

A sad lesson in life. I hope the repairs will not be too expensive.

Jul 6, 2005
Visit site
Hello Keith,

I am very sorry to read of your problem. Clive has given some advice but I think what he writes only applies to sales by traders. Private sales are not bound by the same regulations. Buyer Beware is the phrase, and as the buyer it is up to you to ask all the relevant questions. If the seller gives you a false answer then there are grounds for action.

If as I suspect you did not ask the seller about damp, the fact that he did not disclose it is not fraud it just expososes your own mistake for not asking.

A sad lesson in life. I hope the repairs will not be too expensive.
Hi i have just discovered i have some damp and i was thinking about repairing it myself but im not sure where to get the wall covering from?

Jul 8, 2005
Visit site
Thanks to you all, for your prompt and sympathetic replies. Sorry about the delay in responding but I've been CARAVANNING ALL WEEKEND! I may be riddled with rot ( well the van not me necessarily) but I've had a great time on a site 5 miles down the road from home ( North Warwickshire Steve and Ruth, thanks for the kind offer) but it couild have been a million miles away.

I'm now completely refreshed and while I am still smarting after being taken for a ride it won't put me off - valuable lessons learned I think. Any more handy hints gratefully received.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Keith, I too was caught out by a private sale of a van riddled by damp and as it was my first, I felt like giving up before I had the chance to begin.I spent my first year of caravan ownership on replacing the whole front wooden frame and sourcing and replacing two broken single glazed plastic windows. I never got anywhere with that tin wreck exept the contempt of my neighbours while it sat on my drive.

Aug 29, 2005
Visit site
Steve_

I read your reply to this subject and others below - my next purchase will be a haynes manual - or two it may seem.

You have suggested the repair to the back of your van was time consuming but not too difficult. Were all the materials easy to come by?

Many Thanks

Carl

Jul 28, 2005
Visit site
Wow - bad luck Keith - Though I must say that when I bought mine I took a damp meter along each time and just walked away from those that gave a reading of any kind.

But I am sure you do not want to hears that. Can I suggest you *** out and buy a Haynes Caravan manual - there are two but I do not know which one would be most beneficial. All I know is that having one has helped me immensly.

There is a section on damp and how a caravan is constructed. Gives a good idea of how repairs can be made.

My other point is that unless you signed a receipt that said "sold as seen" the seller is obliged to describe the object for sale accuratly and not misrepresent anything.

If there is clear evidence of the problem being coverred to dupe you up you could try the small claims court.
Hi Clive,

Even new vans will have damp readings....does this mean you would walk away from it???

The thing about damp is where and how much and is it classed as damp.

Read some of the other treads about damp an damp meters

Cheers Jim.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts