Driving Economically

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Tobes, I think you must go into Milton Keynes more than I do, I am only 4 miles from the (city) center, I used to know three free multi storey car parks, and other free parking areas, but not so sure now.

A new place for lunch, The Warbler on the Wharf, at Cambell Park Marina, opens 6th April. And Gullivers land caravan Park a short walk away.
If you have an EV or PHEV (<75g co2/km) you can register for a green permit. Park for free in any purple zone!

Reactions: Hutch
May 7, 2012
Visit site
There is an article on the London live web site looking a driving economically. They say the most economic speed on the motorway is between 55 and 65 mph for a solo car and above this the fuel usage rises quickly and can increase by 40% at 85 mph. No figures given for towing though.

Reactions: Tobes and ProfJohnL
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I feel the slowest you can go without labouring the engine in top is most eco. We can just do 50 mph in top and if you hit road works on a long journey where there are average speed cameras so you're not being annoying mpg raises dramatically. Our current best on a proper mixed road trip with this on the m way is 42.5 mpg. (Lincoln to Leeds)That's a 2.3 twin turbo 190 bhp Navara. Amazing.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I feel the slowest you can go without labouring the engine in top is most eco. We can just do 50 mph in top and if you hit road works on a long journey where there are average speed cameras so you're not being annoying mpg raises dramatically. Our current best on a proper mixed road trip with this on the m way is 42.5 mpg. (Lincoln to Leeds)That's a 2.3 twin turbo 190 bhp Navara. Amazing.
That is so dependent on the car, specifically on the engine - a big engine wouldn't labour at idle rpm in top - my Touareg will do 32 mph in top at idle speed but would be so obstructive on NSL roads.

Reactions: JezzerB
Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
The Vw 1.5 engine in the kodiaq etc has cylinder deactivation as did the 1.4 it succeeded. Clever stuff.

My MB 2litre diesel has a form of free wheeling - https://moba-test.i.mercedes-benz.c...0-9a5057c10ae5e903354ae3652fefacd3-en-GB.html
It's a big car, an e220 D Tourer and is the most economical vehicle of any I have ever had. Just last saturday on a trip to London we averaged 64.1 mpg at 56 mph. Journey was 114 miles.
I'm looking forward to towing with it soon.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I hate acronyms. Anyway back to post. I maybe been wrong about speed and gear. We travelled from Harbury near Leamington Spa to near Poole yesterday ( Back of Beyond) and satnav said we'd be far too early. Early arrivers do annoy me so we slowed down. So as not to be a nuisance we found a lorry travelling at 52mph on the motorway and sat safely behind him. Low loader so not much drag benefit imo. The Navara wouldn't do hills in top at that speed or not happily anyway, so much of the journey was in 5th but even so we broke our mpg record and did an indicated 27mpg for the journey. This will equate to 26.5 on a full to fill calculator basis. Well impressed with that! Towing a 2000kg Bucanneer and all our hols kit Inc large awning in the truck load bed. And we don't travel light !

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I hate acronyms. Anyway back to post. I maybe been wrong about speed and gear. We travelled from Harbury near Leamington Spa to near Poole yesterday ( Back of Beyond) and satnav said we'd be far too early. Early arrivers do annoy me so we slowed down. So as not to be a nuisance we found a lorry travelling at 52mph on the motorway and sat safely behind him. Low loader so not much drag benefit imo. The Navara wouldn't do hills in top at that speed or not happily anyway, so much of the journey was in 5th but even so we broke our mpg record and did an indicated 27mpg for the journey. This will equate to 26.5 on a full to fill calculator basis. Well impressed with that! Towing a 2000kg Bucanneer and all our hols kit Inc large awning in the truck load bed. And we don't travel light !

Excellent. I normally tow around 58 mph. I am happy with 24.5 mpg with a large, (but smaller than a Navara), car and single axle 1500 kg van.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts