driving in Spain

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Hiya guy's, I'm a newbe to this forum.
Can any one advise driving on Spain's motorway during winter months, do they suffer from FOG like we get here, I know it must seem a dumb question but I have a fobia when it comes to driving in fog.
Thanks in advance.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
I've been towing my caravan to southern Spain for more than 20 years - usually out in early November and back at the end of February. Then some years a drive home just by car before Christmas then back again in early January. On none of the journeys have I experienced real fog - maybe just a little bit of mist. Also very rarely have I been delayed by snow, because the Spanish authorities are always ready with gritters and snow ploughs. You see them stationed at motorway junctions all ready to go - even before the snow has started. Driving through France in winter can be unpleasant because of rain and cold and if you choose a route down the centre of the country, you could well be delayed by snow falls. The Spanish motorway system is excellent - well engineered and usually well surfaced. Many of them are free motorways but some are toll roads.

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
The majority of main roads through Spain and France are well maintined and ready for inclement weather, unlike here.
This past winter, there was heavy snowfalls from Atlantic port of Santander across Spain to Barcelona, blocking the road for two days, but that was very rare occurrence. It even snowed in Benecassim one morning.
But authorities were quickly on scene to reassure travellers they would be freed soon.
Have no fear, their preparation for adverse weather are well established.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As others have said - don't worry. For the past 15 years I've towed across Spain from Irun (French Border on Bay of Biscay) to Mojacar area via Valencia and never seen anything we would call fog in UK. A little later in the year there have been some short term delays between Irun and Pamplona using the motorway route which gets quite high but the short cut N174 from memory turning left immediately after crossing into Spain has always been fine.
Generally driving in Spain is a great pleasure - motorways mostly free but toll sections are not too expensive. HGV drivers are generally the long distance guys and helpful and non aggressive. Ring roads round the big cities e/g Valencia can be busy and need attention but nothing to be afraid of.
The only suggestion i would offer is to top up your tank when half full as there can be long distances between filling stations - up to 50 miles in some places, and in busy service areas do not leave your outfit unattended e.g. to pay or get a coffee. Many of the pumps will now take credit cards - these pumps are often marked as 24/24..

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.......you are unlikely to see much fog but it is possible on high ground and don't expect high temperatures until well south of Madrid.
This picture was taken January 30th 2014 just north of Madrid ......it shows snow, mist and temperatures of -4 deg C at a height of 4500 feet.....higher than Ben Nevis.

DSCF1658_zps42d54b4f.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts