Driving on site using phone

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Looking out my caravan window at about 8,50 last night at Tredegar park i saw a person drive past my van on his mobile , allthough there were no children about on there bikes , there had been kids cycling on previous nights , surely they can put there phone down for a few minuits while they pass reception until they reach there caravan , i also noticed they installed speed humps yesterday , so they must of had a speeding problem as well

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Joeby,
One of my pet hates is drivers using their mobiles whilst behind the wheel, don't know why, it's not as though I've had a bad experience through someone driving while on the phone but it just really annoys me. If drivers use their phones whilst hurtling down the motorway at full speed then they certainly will not think twice about using them when driving on site. My drive to work only takes about 5 or 6 minutes but I normally spot at least one person using the phone, and that's without specifically looking for them. Don't know the answer, seems impossible to police with the number of drivers that seem to think it is acceptable. Bet they all think they are great drivers and wont be involved in an accident.
Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Joeby,
It must have been a big mobile if he was driving it was ita 'Motorroller'
smiley-wink.gif

Seriously driving and phoning even at a slow speed is highly dangerous.

Hi Rob.
Drivers who use phones whilst driving will NEVER be involved in an accident. for the simple reason that having an accident implies no one is to blame!
smiley-undecided.gif

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Hi Joeby,
It must have been a big mobile if he was driving it was ita 'Motorroller'
smiley-wink.gif

Seriously driving and phoning even at a slow speed is highly dangerous.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
yes ur right Prof ,i should have written using his cell phone , to make or recieve a call whilst driving

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Although I don't agree with it, it is not an offence to use a mobile phone while driving on private land. By the same token other people who use the road on the site shoudl be paying attention to wher theya re going. those kids cycling did they have lights on their bikes that worked? Hope fully you do not belong to the twitchers brigade?
smiley-laughing.gif

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I've lost count of the number of people using a mobile while driving.
I used to think they were posers with no brains.
Now i think well maybe they cant afford blue tooth?
What i can't understand is why every new car isn't fitted by law with blue tooth.
Like wise ever new phone.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Ray,
Cost! why fit it as standard in cars when they can charge an extortionate amount to fit it as an extra.

Until it is made compulsory to fit it- -don't expect is a standard except on the highest spec models

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I quite agree, there should be no exceptions to using a phone and driving.
Even blue tooth phones should be banned. I say that with some knowledge as last year at a cross roads between our site and Leominster was the sceen of a two car pile up. The culprit was driving the company BMW while using a blue tooth phone and he was talking to the office when he missed 7(YES SEVEN) road signs warning of a give way junction ahead. He failed to stop and careered into the car being driven corectly towards Leominster. The impact rolled his BMW over the hedge and into a field.

The poor couple in the car were very shaken up and some months afterwards the driver died of an unknown liver injury.

Another stupid thing phone drivers do,is to park across side road juctions to stop to answer the phone. I must admit when I come across one of these idiots, I simply hold my finger on the horn so that they can't have a conversation and remove themselves to a lay by.
Like 90% of the population I have mobile phones and I don't mind calling the caller back when I've parked legally and safely. After all if the call is important the caller will ring again.

The best case I have been privy to was my Ex boss. He always rang work on his way in, just to get the goss before he walked in , so that he was one step ahead. On the day in question, he rang me (the shift supervisor), he was getting the sp when I heard a loud tapping on his car window. I heard him shout "oh F off"!!!!! Whoops! He'd only shouted that to a copper who was wanting to tell him he'd missed a green light and to nick him for using his phone. He also got done for threatening and abusive language toward a policeman.
The cheecky git tried to get the firm to pay his fines as he said I'd rung him. I got HR to check the phone log and they confirmed I didn't ring him until 2 hours after the offence time. Needless to say it didn't take much time for me to take volentry redundancey to get away from that lying idiot.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I can't agree. Any distraction can cause an accident, even a fly.
With your logic we would have no satnav, no radio, no wife.
What do you suggest drive round in head phones?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
RAY said:
I can't agree. Any distraction can cause an accident, even a fly.
With your logic we would have no satnav, no radio, no wife.
What do you suggest drive round in head phones?
Spot on. Any distraction no matter where it is may cause a death. Whilst not the driver's fault as I understand it the death at Rowntree park the other year may have attracted different attention and judgement if the driver had been off the phone.
For me "don't drive and phone " , forget blue tooth etc, just don't do it!!!!!!
smiley-cool.gif

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I agree with Ray you should turn off the Radio and all music if you dont want to be distracted and also forget about day dreaming if only we could all be so perfect.
Accidents will continue to happen no matter what we do we can do our best to minimise them but lets all be practical here how many of us have travelled a section of road and could not remember it because our minds were otherwise distracted. I am certinaly not condoning the use of mobile phones while driving as it is totally wrong but we are all human
smiley-cool.gif

Barry.

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Sorry Surfer you are wrong about private land
Although it is private land it is open to members of the public, so you can be breathalised & done for using a mobile phone
Just ask any copper

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Just as bad is passengers talking to you especially when you are in a stream of cars and trying to concentrate on what the person in front will do next.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Willi-Wonti said:
Although it is private land it is open to members of the public, so you can be breathalised & done for using a mobile phone
Just ask any copper
It is not open to members of the public as firstly you need to be a member or you have to pay to enter the site. A policeman would have a difficult job enforcing that as in essence you are saying that even if you were parked in a driveway using the phone you could be done. Basically the policeman wouidl be trespassing.

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I thought the issue was driving whilst using the phone not parked on a drive
http://www.solicitorservice.co.uk/drink-drive-issues/
Drink drive offences also rely on the vehicle being driven on a highway or place to which the public have access. So if the offence occurred on private land and it can be shown it is not a place open to the public a defence may be in play. Some land with private land notices are still considered to be public places. For example, car parks, camp sites and hotel forecourts will still be considered open to the public.
I rest my case m'laud

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Surfer said:
Just as bad is passengers talking to you especially when you are in a stream of cars and trying to concentrate on what the person in front will do next.
At least they are not at the communal kitchen washing their greasy cadoc trying to engage you in small talk
smiley-laughing.gif

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I can concur with surfer on chatting being a distraction while driving.
My daughter is a prolific chatterbox. She could talk for england and it is all good conversation, but when your trying to concentrate on driving it can be distracting. I've offended her a few times when I've had to tell her to shut up.

Likewise loud music can be just as distractfull. By that I don't mean your average radio or family CD playing at normal conversation volume, but the base beat noise you hear in some "modern custom cars". When I was on the custom car sceene we built cars that were unique. I had a Moggy minor van in royal mail red (ex post office van), but it was a MGB 1800cc sports car in drag. It went like the clappers back in the 70's. But today mainly due to high insurance premiums, customising has gone electric and it's now the sound system thats the power pack. I've seen Ford Fiesta's literally shaking because of the noise vibration in them, at custom shows. And the best bit is folks still drive them even if the decibell's are close to bursting your ear drums.

Something I used to do years ago before Mc Donalds was famous, was to drive my truck and pour out of my thermos, a cup of coffee to keep me awake. In hind sight I can now see just how dangerous that was. But then isn't it about as dangerous as smoking a *** while driving? Coffee might burn you, but a red hot end of a *** can burn your ride if you drop it.

Another classic example was a retained fireman who also was a carpet fitter. He hit a bus head on in his van just because he tried to pick up a pen he'd dropped while taking a customer address down , on his mobile.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
The paltry fine if caught talking on mobiles isn't worth the effort of the police to tackle it. Make the fine a minimum of £1000 with 6 points on their licence and it will become more cost effective. Watch the number of offenders fall then.
Exactly the same as the point in my 'Dogs on beaches' post. Hit them where it hurts and sod Ken Clarkes softly softly approach to justice.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Surfer said:
Willi-Wonti said:
Just ask any copper
It is not open to members of the public as firstly you need to be a member or you have to pay to enter the site. A policeman would have a difficult job enforcing that as in essence you are saying that even if you were parked in a driveway using the phone you could be done. Basically the policeman wouidl be trespassing.

A woman was arrested and charged with various offences including drink driving and manslaughter after an incident last year on a C&CC certified site in Worcestershire.
Click Here for Details

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Surfer........
Get your facts right before you start laying down the rights and wrongs....I wont bore you with the details, but check up on the Road Traffic Act and you will see that a road may not be what you think it is under certain circumstances
Using the phone whilst driving is as bad as parking on the footpath
smiley-tongue-out.gif

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Parksy - Moderator said:
Surfer said:
Willi-Wonti said:
Just ask any copper

A woman was arrested and charged with various offences including drink driving and manslaughter after an incident last year on a C&CC certified site in Worcestershire.
Click Here for Details
The only charge that they will get to stick woudl be the manslaugter one. Not sure about the other two as I don't think it has ever been an offence to drive a vehicle on private land without insurance.however I think there is a possibility that she is being doned for drink driving and no insurance before she entered the site.. Unfortunately the article does not tell you very much. I guess the answer is not to use C & CC sites due to drunken and uninsure drivers!
smiley-laughing.gif

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,
The LAW is that you must not use a hand held phone while driving, which seems a good enough reason not to do it.. A few months ago, a woman was prosecuted for using a phone while stationary in a supermarket car park. In the event, she was disqualified, but I don't know the exact details. I'm guessing that her engine was running, and she was not in a bay. What exactly is thye offence? Driving? Or being in charge of?
A public place is somewhere to which the general public have access, even if they have to pay to enter. If the place is restricted to certain people, eg: club members only, then it can be regarded as not a public place. A farmer had had a few drinks, drove home using only ROWs ....... Plod was waiting for him when he arrived home. Disqualified, but got his licence back on appeal. They kept his fine. I think he was lucky.
I understand that the police have hired HGV trucks, so they can peer into the windows of other HGVs on motorways, see if the drivers are using phones.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
The site in question doe's have security barriers to get in or out , but you shouldnt need to argue wether legal or unlegal , your own consience should tell you that its not right

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I've just got back from town and in the car park a girl was driving around one handed looking for a space while texting
smiley-yell.gif

The best I've ever seen though was a person driving along in the middle lane of the M5 with a queue of traffic behind her whilst people were overtaking, and some passing her in the inside lane. When I overtook her I could see she was texting and the only way I can see how she was managing it was her phone was velcroed to the centre of the steering wheel. She was totally unaware of the chaos she was causing behind.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
What really annoys me is that you can go on Ebay buy a good hands free kit for less than a tenner which must be alot less than a fine for driving while using your mobile.
Are driivers that stupid ? Only careful answers please to Sir Roger C/o Buggram Hall.
Sir Roger

TRENDING THREADS