Drop Plate

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have got a Suzuki Grand Vitara 3 Door 2.0TD Aug 2005. Do I need to use a drop plate to stop the tow ball from obscuring the number plate. I might have to use one because the vans A Frame is quite low.

Has anyone put a towbar on a Vitara before.

Many Thanks

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
If the towball obscures the number plate, move the number plate not the towball!

Only use a drop plate if your towball is mounted too high and causes the caravan to tow nose up.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi David I have a 2003 suzuki td which I have towed with for 3years now tow ball has to stay in normal position .Number plate is partly covered but have not had any problems with police etc. I remove the tow ball during winter months just take two bolts out & ball & bracket slips off.. IF you fit drop plate it will be to low . If your caravan has alko hitch you may need to fit 1" spacer behind ball to help you hook up or get new handle for alko as spare wheel can be a problem . PS. suzuki is a good tow car no problems atall . happy touring.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Is the drawbar and coupling on your caravan really that low? With the caravan level and fully laden, the centre of the coupling should be between 395 and 465mm above the ground.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I towed with a Suzuki 2.5 and had the same problem. The guy that fitted it said I would have to remove the towball if I was not towing, then winked and said "But if I was you I wouldn't bother". I didn't and after two years of towing never got my collar felt for not removing it. It might be that the police have bigger and better things to do round here than pick up on such a small violation, so if I was you, I wouldn't worry either ;o)

TRENDING THREADS