Drying Awning When Wet

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Newbie question again. When on holiday, and its time to pack up your awning and if its wet do you pack it away wet or do you try to dry it first. If left wet, how do you dry it? Do you stretch it out on the grass or drive, then wipe down with a towel? Whats the best way to maintain. Thank you. Niki

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Niki

Personally if it is not raining when we are packing up we try and leave it as long as possible before packing the awning away just to give it a chance to dry, but if it is raining we just fold it the best we can and put it in a black bag then hang in over the line in the garden as soon as we get home. Then once it is dry brush it off and fold it properly ready for the next outing.

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
Hi Nikki

If it is not raining when we pack away, I usually try to wipe as much water off as possible, and leave it up as late as I can before packing it away. If the weather permits, I drape it out of the decking in the back garden to finish drying, if not I have it very loosely rolled in the conservatory and put a fan heater on blowing warm air through the roll. I usually have to turn it a couple of times, but after a couple of hours it is bone dry and ready to be packed away. Then the fun starts! Trying to fold up a 9.5m full awning in a room 3m square and you realise just how big an awning is.

Cheers

David

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
HI! NIKI welcome to the caravan world !! What we do if raining when you take your awning down if you have removable sides ,front,back unzip them then dry inside the awning roof with old towel( the awning will still stand its self do not remove poles you should still have the awning frame still standing) then fold up the sides,and front panels ,then remove poles and let awning still attached to awning rail drop to the ground and wipe dry with towel and use a brush or pole with towel wrapped around it to dry along the awning rail then as you fold it up wipe dry as you go .you will never get it all dry but when home i throw mine over my nextdoor neighbours washing line for a few hours to get it dried off .P.S. watch the weather forecast if dry the day before leaving site we try to get awning down as late as possible in the dry hope this is helpfull

cheeeers Duggie

Feb 10, 2009
Visit site
HI! NIKI welcome to the caravan world !! What we do if raining when you take your awning down if you have removable sides ,front,back unzip them then dry inside the awning roof with old towel( the awning will still stand its self do not remove poles you should still have the awning frame still standing) then fold up the sides,and front panels ,then remove poles and let awning still attached to awning rail drop to the ground and wipe dry with towel and use a brush or pole with towel wrapped around it to dry along the awning rail then as you fold it up wipe dry as you go .you will never get it all dry but when home i throw mine over my nextdoor neighbours washing line for a few hours to get it dried off .P.S. watch the weather forecast if dry the day before leaving site we try to get awning down as late as possible in the dry hope this is helpfull

cheeeers Duggie
I do the exact same as you. Take the awning down the day before departure, especially if rain is forecast. Much easier to take down a dry awning, than have to hang it over the washing line in the back garden

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts