Dunkerque down to Gerona

Feb 3, 2009
Visit site
Hi campers,
Looking for some help in choosing the best route from the ferry port down thru France to the Gerona region in Spain. Would appreciate any contributions for campsites in France that are open all year, near the main routes. Intention is to average 250/300 miles per day, hopefully to arrive at the campsite before dark. Estimate at least 3 stops.
Intended start trip is mid February, and yes we have toured extensively in France for years, mainly in the Pays de La Loire region of France, however never south into the Poitou-Charentes areas.
We are so fed up with the weather here, that we have decided to 'get up and go', unfortunately cannot find any previous links on the site that could help. Many thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm sure you will get plenty of alternatives, but nhere's a starter
Avoid Paris area. Port to Lille to Reims to Troyes. Night stop at Eaux Puisseaux south west of Troyes just off N77 excellent OAY site with good facilities, quiet. In CC and other books.
Next day go direction Auxerre but through Chablis and onto A6 direction Macon, Lyons.
There is a big OAY site just off the autoroute just north of Lyons. Forgotten the name but will be in various books. Frome there you should make the border area with a good choice of sites and 4 night at Gerona.
This route is mainly 4 lane including toll sections but there are non toll alternatives following much the samr course. Google maps give the distance as around 800 miles depending on which alternatives you choose.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Merlin53 .........you of course can decide for yourself but I would plan carefully.

In mid February the weather down through France and Northern Spain can get quite bad, roads could be treacherous ......you have to be prepared for this possibility.
Some routes rise to over 1500 meters and can have snow for instance.
I personally would not think the area you are aiming for would be the best destination unless you have a specific reason for going.
I would head further south to Andalusia or Murcia for better weather where it will be more like our June.

I will be using this route from Dunkerque at the end of January down to Andalusia......it is tried and tested and well used and some of the stops may be of use to you. :)

Dunkerque to.......www.campinglafontainedesclercs.fr/
to........................ http://www.camping-le-futuriste.fr/index.php#
to.........................http://www.larrouleta.com/campsite-france-basque-country.html
to.........................www.campingaranjuez.co.uk/
............................then on to our destination.

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
We travel regularly to Catalonia, the route we take is via Rouen,Nonancourt,Chartre, from Chartre pick up N154 to join up at Junction 12/13 of the Autoroute North of Orleans
First stop = Salbris
2nd = Severac le Chateau or Millau
From Milau it takes us circa 4 hours to get to our destination at L'Estartit

Feb 3, 2009
Visit site
Many thanks guys, all good information. We are looking at staying on the ACSI site 2619 at L'Estartit. Preferred route looks to be A26 to Troyes, then down on to the A6 Lyon, then the A9. Have heard that the route thru the A75 is very hilly, so would guess it might be wise to give this a miss at this time of year.
Again many thanks for all the contributions.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My route was influenced by Starting from Dunkerque, but I agree with Gaffer about weather risks and also on going a bit further south in Spain.
Write this from Mojacar area via Plymouth to Roscoff overnight, first stop on the Gironde, second night south of Zaragoza and third night at site. Beautiful weather all through Spain, very little traffic (very few HGV between Christmas and New Year). Have the advantage that this was 12th consecutive year so know where to go and stop and two drivers.

Suggest you study the French weather forecast sites and be prepared to divert to a more western route if necessary. Gaffer's stops at Poitier and St Jean de Luz are fine, if coming over to Eastern Spain suggest Border to Pamplona N 121A, then direction Zaragoza to Magalon and La Alumina to sto at Sabinan. Next day get onto Zaragoza to Valencia autoroute, round Valencia and then choice depending where you are going. Far less traffic on this route out of holiday times than main auto via down east coast round Barcelona.

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
Merlin53 said:
Many thanks guys, all good information. We are looking at staying on the ACSI site 2619 at L'Estartit. Preferred route looks to be A26 to Troyes, then down on to the A6 Lyon, then the A9. Have heard that the route thru the A75 is very hilly, so would guess it might be wise to give this a miss at this time of year.
Again many thanks for all the contributions.

Merlin, 2619 is the site we stay at and have done for 20 years, you need to go further South in February as the weather is not that warm, Google "L'Estartit Web Cam" that will give you a complete picture of the weather on an hourly basis, the camera looks out over the Isles de Medes.

May 21, 2016
Visit site
Bojeryng Do you use your route in the winter months, We are thinking of going down to Valencia or thereabouts in Feb next year using A75 route. I do know the A75 but not in the winter months.
We were thinking of stopping near fontainblue 1st night and near Clerment Ferrand 2nd night

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts