Dynamic pricing

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We had a stream of family issues and couldn’t plan any get always so in 2014 sold everything including the car. Then in 2017 we re started caravanning but events once again conspired to make planning very difficult. 2018-19 was down to 2-3 short trips as my father was ill and I had to sort out his house etc place him in cars home and regular long distance visits. Then Covid arrived and we managed a couple of short local trips in Autumn 2020 as things eased. 2021 saw us in Yorkshire in absolutely dire weather with a further lockdown that eased on May 17 th. But the pub next door to the CL decided not to reopen. The dogs were 15 and not able to do longer walks plus tummy upsets meant more time at the local vets. All in all not a good spell. In parallel our daughter was studying for her nursing degree whilst working 35 hrs too, and granddaughter found sixth form difficult. So all in all we decided since we weren’t having much use of the caravan it should go.

Pleased to say we have exited the tunnel. Daughter gained her degree and is now enjoying her job as a mental health nurse, granddaughter took to college studies and has done brilliantly. We have a new dog that gets me out even in dire weather. She comes on holiday with us, and we are training her in kennels so we can go away without her. Our holidays since giving up the caravan have been a mix of hotels, cottages and statics. Three booked between now and end of November including Diwali in Leicester. Currently mulling a trip to India again for February 2025 but need to see how dog settles to kennels. Although granddaughter could move in to look after her.

So it wasn’t an easy decision, fortunately we are both not restricted by medical issues, even my recently diagnosed post TURP prostate cancer is thought to be low grade. Jury still out on that one though. First time in my life I’ve been happy to settle for a low grade!

Do we miss the caravan. Yes, but life has moved on and “ damp or axle anxiety “ isn’t a feature any longer. 😂
Hi Clive lovely update I too miss the caravan but with my mobility issues that was ruled out also not allowed on long trips abroad just wish we could go to New England .

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Or this one
Mel
Thanks Mel, I know this one already when it first opened, the pub The Red lion is very nice, but there is no footpath from the site, just grass and the road is too busy for Elaine's Buggy.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We met someone at Tesco at Bridlington he been stopping on a site called Beacon House Flamborough with the Camping and Caravanning Club for the past 4 weeks it priced from £21 to £26 what i thought was excellent.
That's great , but 187 miles away from me, and a 4.5 hr tow.

• Wow
Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
What are you looking for on a site? Just had a quick look around the St. Neots area and the first 3 CL's I looked at had 5 star reviews. £18-£25 per night.
Looking for a site with maybe 3/4 mile walk to a pub, but with a pavement suitable for a mobility buggy, preferably fsp.
We tend to see these sites 5 star reviews, have a quick drive to them say 1, 1/2 hrs, and then unfortunately find things are not as described,
ie. 5 stars because the fishing is great, sorry I don't fish,
Oh the Red kites are wonderfully, I have them around our house.
I don't particularly like wandering around Stately homes, we have Woburn Abbey 2 miles away.

Sorry maybe I am being too picky.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Looking for a site with maybe 3/4 mile walk to a pub, but with a pavement suitable for a mobility buggy, preferably fsp.
We tend to see these sites 5 star reviews, have a quick drive to them say 1, 1/2 hrs, and then unfortunately find things are not as described,
ie. 5 stars because the fishing is great, sorry I don't fish,
Oh the Red kites are wonderfully, I have them around our house.
I don't particularly like wandering around Stately homes, we have Woburn Abbey 2 miles away.

Sorry maybe I am being too picky.
Sounds like you want a CL/CS at a pub - not that I've got any suggestions.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes, just like the Cl/cs at Hutton Le Hole, in Yorkshire but within 40 miles from us.
.Thats the pub just along the road from the nice CL where we stayed during a dire May two weeks in 2021. The landlord wouldn’t even open on Boris’ Covid Freedom Day on 17 th May 2021 on account of it being too wet and not enough people about ☹️

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
.Thats the pub just along the road from the nice CL where we stayed during a dire May two weeks in 2021. The landlord wouldn’t even open on Boris’ Covid Freedom Day on 17 th May 2021 on account of it being too wet and not enough people about ☹️
What a shame, when we had a week there, they could not be more helpful, even to the point of having ehu's in the carpark, for people. There was a large field behind the pub that had caravans in as well. Before COVID though.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What a shame, when we had a week there, they could not be more helpful, even to the point of having ehu's in the carpark, for people. There was a large field behind the pub that had caravans in as well. Before COVID though.
Yes there was a caravan and tent gathering over one of the weekends in that large field. It’s a lovely area too.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes there was a caravan and tent gathering over one of the weekends in that large field. It’s a lovely area too.
Pretty scary at night time driving, came down from Newcastle, Middlesbrough, and then across the Blakley ridge, into Hutton Le Hole at about 10,pm. Didn't see another car over the moors.

Reactions: otherclive
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Keep up BB😎. Mr and Mrs Hutch aren’t too chipper hence the reason we are trying to find something suitable nearer to their home.
Actually i am not to happy i have been to doctors and hospital for the past 17 weeks but at present enjoying our long weekend in Bridlington

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
We have now and had for many years caravans with every facility we need. Now with the technology of a modern PV solar panel, then throughout the summer we don't need sites as such, along with not needing their current prices.
Whilst in recent years the availability of rallies like the C&CCs THS [temporary holiday site] are not as abundant as previously, we can find & afford to camp for weeks on end, sometimes at £12 pun, with for us the big plus of great company.
One alternative to being priced out of caravanning.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
For us it just a glitch again this year, with hospital appointments, this year for me it has been eye problems since January. And a trapped nerve in my neck, Restricting on how far I could drive at a time.
Then when we were ready to get away I noticed that our favoured places were charging for a caravan and 1 person, 2 nd person was an extra £8 ,

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I have noticed that prices have risen at a lot of sites, but there's still good value around - our average at CLs this year is £19.53 per night, all including electric some with toilets.

At 9 and 11 years old respectively, the costs for car and caravan are both fully amortized so despite the cost of diesel and sites, caravanning is still inexpensive.

Aug 9, 2024
Visit site
Dynamic pricing certainly is still a thing. We tried to book a CAMC site last week to try the new van, phoned on the day to check for cancellations and was offered a road side pitch, which was fine. What was not fine was the £48 fee plus £1.25 per child. I offered £30 which was politely declined.

The site still had a free pitch that night, I'm guessing it never sold. I sent a polite email to the club explaining that being a member of a 'club' should come with benefits, and dynamic pricing just felt like exploitation. I never received a reply.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Dynamic pricing certainly is still a thing. We tried to book a CAMC site last week to try the new van, phoned on the day to check for cancellations and was offered a road side pitch, which was fine. What was not fine was the £48 fee plus £1.25 per child. I offered £30 which was politely declined.

The site still had a free pitch that night, I'm guessing it never sold. I sent a polite email to the club explaining that being a member of a 'club' should come with benefits, and dynamic pricing just felt like exploitation. I never received a reply.
That's dynamic purchasing in action - well done.

Aug 23, 2023
Visit site
That's dynamic purchasing in action - well done.
I made an error when booking a CAMC site. The alteration seemed excessive, when I queried it I was told that had I booked correctly it would have been lsss expensive. It was more because of dynamic pricing. I was not entirely convinced, and never got around to checking, thinking he may have been confused over the definition.
I, personally, don’t think that this is in the spirit of a club.

Reactions: Buckman

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts