Dyson.......Good or rubbish

May 21, 2007
Visit site
I am asking the question because we have one (animal version now)and we have a problem with the head.It is definately not blocked,but I think that the flexi tube inside has a hole in it,hence hardly any suction with the head on but fantastic suction without.Now should we pay £40.00 for a new head or £75.00 for an equivelent vacuum cleaner?What do you think?

Are Dysons overhyped?

Jul 11, 2005
Visit site
Friend of mine bought a new Dyson, It did not matter how many times she vacumed one section of the carpet it always draged out some fluff[we kept empyting the container]. We recond that it was pulling the guts out of the carpet.

Anyway their carpet is almost thread bare now.

There is a difference to scratching your backside and tearing it apart, as they say.

Choice is yours!

Edd

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Pat,

I have had a couple of dyson vacums, and don't seem to have much luck with them, but i have however just bought a bagless cyclone one from aldi for

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
The Person in charge of driving the Dyson simply won`t use anything else. Now had a couple (even got a rechargeable for the van), and although I did buy her a spiffing new Electrolux ultramegacyclone thinghy, she used it twice (literally), and now sits unloved in the back bedroom. Just doesn`t like it. End of.

Needs a caring home.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have a Dyson Upright Animal thing - and I ABSOLUTELY HATE IT and have done since I bought it. I just making do till I can get another. The top of the handle on ours keeps springing back lowering the suction, and it's tools aren't that good, and as a upright doesn't get into the corners as well.

I might say though I washed the filter in the washing machine (after rinsing most of the muck out under the tap) and it was much improved after that!

G

I've had a coupla Dyson's and I think they are cr*p!!

Two things are for sure...

1 - They are expensive, in fact, overpriced for what they are

2 - They don't last long.

I've since had a cheap normal vac, around

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
The Dyson is no better than the Electrolux, Hoover, or Panasonic equivalents.

Buy a Kirby and then you'll really have the daddy of vacuums.

(No, I'm not connected with Kirby).

May 25, 2005
Visit site
We bought our first Dyson during their first year of production ( 18+ years ago) and it has been going strong ever since! Having had two very hairy GS it had to withstand some stick. However, it has now been relegated to vehicle/caravan cleaning as this month, I decided to replace it with a DC14 Animal. In my opinion, Dyson are the best vacuum cleaners currently on the market, but each to his own.

Dec 23, 2005
Visit site
Our last hoover was a Dyson and after about a year, the motor went up in flames.

We now have a Vax bagless and I reckon that it's just as good.

Matin.

Jul 11, 2005
Visit site
My father in law had a Dyson the motor burnt out after 10 months.

Tried to phone customer services for months, just could not get through at all. The phone was ringing for hours.

The guarantee ran out in the end.

Over priced, over hyped cr@p.

Edd

Sep 3, 2006
Visit site
We have suffered with Dysons for ages but recently threw in the towel and bought a Miele. Expensive but cheaper than a Dyson and far superior.

AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO SHOUT WHEN IT IS ON!!!

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
we must be one of the lucky ones our last dyson lasted over 6 years with no faults untill the motor eventually burnt out but after six years of vacuuming twice a day due to 2 cavalier king charles spaniels i dont think the machine did too bad.

We now have a dc 14 animal and it is absolutely great it came with all the tools including powered mini head for the stairs. again we use it twice a day for about 30 minuites a time and its been fine, plus it came with a 5 year parts and labour guarantee so no worries, it was

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
we are on our 2nd dyson. Our current one is 7 years old. I agree they are expensive, but they are better than anything else on the market and believe me we have tried everything else. I hoover twice a day and have a hairy German Shepherd - so we have to have a good hoover. Nothing picks up dog hairs better than a dyson.

The only problem with them is that they are SO heavy to cart up and down the stairs.

I personally wouldnt buy another type of hoover.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
5 year warranty on products now - ours is great although seems to need frequent emptying - and how does anyone use the tools (extending hose with long fixed pipe) for cleaning the car?

Aug 12, 2005
Visit site
I have a Dyson which I bought about 5 years ago to replace my 20 year old Elecrolux and would never buy another one. It has blocked several times and is impossible to use in the car as it's so unwieldy. I bought a cheap

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We bought our Dyson six years ago. Last year, the electric cable came away from its housing. I mentioned this to a colleague at work, he gave me the number for Dyson. They sent an engineer out and for the pricely sum of

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
My two-pence worth - Go to your local electrical repair shop like I did, see the row of machines waiting for repairs (& parts) - all Dysons!!

Need one say more??

Alan

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
had dysons for years got fed up repairing the bloody things

so brought a cheap vax cleaner from the local diy shop it alot lighter picks up just as well and cost 50 quid

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
Dyson - INMHO the best example in years of a triumph of marketing over substance...who else could "revolutionise" vacuuming by convincing us of the merits of emptying filthy containers in clouds of dust (where do you all dump it, by the way?!), instead of sealed bags? And charge twice as much for the privilege!!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Had two now. First one lasted years, only replaced it because there was a newer one in my late mother's house. Nothing gets dog hair off the rugs like a dyson.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts