E One Eleven - Heatlth Cover in the EU

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There was an article today on the E111 form - or more correctly the new web based version that is called something else.

I only caught the tail end of it but it seems that when you "google" to find the government website to obtain your card, a sponsored link comes up that gets one for you but charges you £15 for the privilege!

Google has I think suspended this site now, but I am sure there will be others.

Advice was to ONLY use the Government website where you card will be issued WITHOUT CHARGE.

Concern was stated that this sponsored site was able to get a great deal of personal information on individuals as well as their credit card details. All the things a scumbag needs to clone your identity.

And people have been paying £15 for the chance of that happening to them!

So if you are travelling to the EU and need a new style E111 - make sure you use only the Government Site.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I did not catch all of the article - it was on "You and Yours" R4 lunchtime today.

They were saying this was a new "Card" that replaced the E111 and the called it something else that I did not catch.

Certainly if they are available from the PO - it is another reason to use it. Least we loose the PO's altogether.

I will have a look at the BBC website tomorrow and see if there is a link.

Feb 5, 2006
Visit site
The card is now called EHIC. Its personally produced, and is like a credit card. They may be available at your PO, but I can't see them having the facility to produce them while you wait. It would probably be a case of collecting an application form there and sending it off.

Easiest way to get one is to fill in some simple details on the Department of Health website. As far as I remember, they only need your name, DOB, address and your national insurance number.

Our cards came in two days.

Their website is www.dh.gov.uk

Cheers, Sue

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The E 111 form went out of use earlier this year and was replaced by a plastic credit card sized thing called the European Health Insurance Card (E.H.I.C.) Type 'e.h.i.c.' into Google and follow instructions for applying on line - even better 'phone direct and get one by return of post. Just remember they have an expiry date, about 5 years. I applied for cards for all my family on line - no problem - but when my son lost his he had to apply in person. My attempt to apply on his behalf was refused - - - it contravened the Data Protection Act since he was over eighteen years old ! I have been aware of his intimate details - date of birth, address, waist, inside leg etc. for some nineteen years but that did not count. So, if applying on behalf of any children, pretend to be them ! Probably illegal but it just lets the devil inside you break out once in a while.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Oh don't you just love the Data Protection Act! That wonderful piece of legislation that stops an airline telling a distraught parent if their son is on the next flight having missed the first!

Barmy - totally Barmy!

But as for the EHIC - the "Your and yours" program flagged up that a sponcored link on google looked like the official site but charged

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Oh don't you just love the Data Protection Act! That wonderful piece of legislation that stops an airline telling a distraught parent if their son is on the next flight having missed the first!

Barmy - totally Barmy!

But as for the EHIC - the "Your and yours" program flagged up that a sponcored link on google looked like the official site but charged

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts