Easter Weekend

Jan 16, 2008
Visit site
Is anyone caravanning Easter weekend. The 5 day weather forecast gives wind speeds of 29 mph. Does anyone know if that is likely to continue over the weekend and/or is 29 mph OK for towing?

Many thanks

Cathie

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Cathie

According to the Beaufort scale for land a wind speed of 29mph 10 metres above the ground is a strong breeze. Results in large branches in motion; whistling heard in telegraph wires; umbrellas used with difficulty.

Yes I would tow but at a reduced speed and be prepared to stop if the conditions worsen.

The next level up is 32 -38 mph "Near Gale", I would not tow in these conditions.

Cheers

Alan

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
I reckon 25Mph is about my limit and then I don't go above 50. When they start closing bridges to high side vehicles its just not sensible to go out and become another hazard on the road. And don't forget its not just you, there will always be the nutter in the 38 tonner who wants to overtake you and the extra buffeting can swerve you all over the place.

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
We are planning on heading to Sandringham on Easter Monday, so I hope the wind has eased off by then. They are also predicting up to 10cm snow just to add to the "fun". Perhaps a skiing holiday would make more sense....must remember to pack the sledge...

David

Feb 25, 2008
Visit site
Will Birmingham Airport be closed?

I hate landing in windy weather.

Cheers

Alan
We are off to Hawthorne Farm CC site on Easter Monday. What's this about snow being forecast? As we were mainly going to try out the 'van before travelling to France in April I am now wondering if it's a wise move.

Still it all adds to the fun(?) of camping.

Michael

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
The Met office are predicting strong winds of 29mph gusting to 47mph across the midlands and east Anglia on Good Friday through Sunday, hopefully easing for Monday.

The further North you go, the stronger the winds become.

Thursday will be Windy, but not as bad.

Taken straight from the Met office this afternoon

"UK Outlook for Saturday 22 Mar 2008 to Monday 31 Mar 2008:

The whole of the Easter Weekend looks like being cold. There will be some sunshine at times by day, but also showers, and some of these will be heavy and wintry, with snow over high ground, and perhaps to lower levels at times in some regions, especially the north and east. Winds are likely to reach gale force at times, perhaps even with severe gales for exposed eastern parts at first. Blizzard conditions are possible over the Scottish mountains. Winds should ease on Sunday or Monday, bringing an increasing risk of overnight frost. During next week, the weather should be quieter for a time with sunshine by day and overnight frost, before, less cold but still breezy and showery weather spreads southeastwards by midweek."

Lets hope the got it wrong!

David

Jan 16, 2008
Visit site
The Met office are predicting strong winds of 29mph gusting to 47mph across the midlands and east Anglia on Good Friday through Sunday, hopefully easing for Monday.

The whole of the Easter Weekend looks like being cold. There will be some sunshine at times by day, but also showers, and some of these will be heavy and wintry, with snow over high ground, and perhaps to lower levels at times in some regions, especially the north and east. Winds are likely to reach gale force at times, perhaps even with severe gales for exposed eastern parts at first. Blizzard conditions are possible over the Scottish mountains. Winds should ease on Sunday or Monday, bringing an increasing risk of overnight frost. During next week, the weather should be quieter for a time with sunshine by day and overnight frost, before, less cold but still breezy and showery weather spreads southeastwards by midweek."

David
Let's hope they got it wrong I am in desperate need of a break!!

Aug 30, 2007
Visit site

David
may be the the west may be best. I might delay by a day or two to see what the weather is like

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
I found a long term (10 day) forecast that suggests that the weather improves on Monday for the rest of the week. Much less windy, some sun and only a 20% chance of rain(snow), but still pretty cold.

David

Mar 14, 2008
Visit site
Pleased to see the forecast wind speeds are dropping for this weekend. As we are travelling from Aberdeen to Keswick on Friday I am pleased about this. Don't mind the rain, quite like the snow but gale force winds are a different matter.

All the best

Gordon

Sep 10, 2007
Visit site
We're going to the Park resorts site at Withernsea. It's only 20 minutes drive with the van (about 12 without!) and you can;t really top 40mph on that road anyway so I;m not too bothered about the winds (within sensible limits) Its the predicted snow that bothers me - not that it will be 'snow' cos we don't get it anymore!

Anyone have any tips for setting up an awning in the wind? tried to set up a lightweight tent in a moderate wind last year with my (then 6 months pregnant) wife which proved to be almost impossible!

Mar 14, 2008
Visit site
Gavin, should be okay - just watch your speed and be ready to stop on route if things get a bit hairy. I'm going the opposite way and the wind forecast is up to 35mph around Perth / Fife area, I drive a 4x4 so not too worried about the 2" of snow that may appear. Common sense and if you see any vans going over pull over!

Gordon

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Hi Gavin

We went to Wareham in Dorset,was very windy but site quite well protected although the awning did bang and blow a bit.Only rained once in the early morning,wind was cold but didnt stop us going places and walking with the dogs,pleased we went away.

Jan 8, 2007
Visit site
we went to york c&cc (sherff hutton ) , it was a bit windy driving up just took our time . the weather was fine, we had snow on sunday morning about 3 inchs, us and the kids loved it snowballing and making snowmen .glad we didn't cancel due to weather forcast .

dave & ang

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
We've returned home today from our Easter trip to Dunstan Hill in Northumberland. The weather left a lot to be desired and towing on Good Friday was quite a trial - sunshine, rain, sleet, snow and strong wind and all this on only our second caravan outing! Claire did all the towing and seems to have become the designated tower now - mind you, Rob did a smashing job parking the caravan back into it's storage spot with the motor mover! (slight sarcasm here!)

Didn't sleep very well the first night - hailstones on the van roof sounded like marbles but nothing kept us awake after that. Lots of fresh air, nice family time and a warm, well insulated caravan - bliss!!! Glad Easter won't be this early again for quite some time though! Liked the site at Dundatn Hill but needed heating in the toilet block especially at this time of year.

Can't wait for May day when we're off to Filey Brigg.

Claire & Rob

Jan 16, 2007
Visit site
We went to Keswick on the thursday. Very windy going over the hills but took it at about 50mph max. Added a bit of time but we got there safely. Keswick site is lovely, well kept and very picturesque, especially with the snow on staurday night sunday morning. The weight of the snow made my sunn camp 260 awning buckle under the weight, but went back into shape as soon as I pushed the snow off. Glad we went, will be going back again next easter again.

Ian Mc

G

I was in Huntly in Aberdeenshire since the 17th just came back yesterday, the bad weather started on Thursday through to Monday we had about 10cm of snow but we had a good time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts