Easy alloy or Fibre awning poles?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
When we changed our caravan we decided that it was plenty big enough for the two of us and so we wouldn't bother with an awning, the source of many a harsh word and frayed temper!!! Having seen a good few of the lightweight tunnel type porch awnings we changed our mind and decided to buy an Outdoor Revolution Compactalite 260, this was duly tried out at home to make sure all was ok. Unfortunately the lady of the house decided that she preferred either a larger conventional style porch or even a full awning!!! The compactalite was taken down and packed away pdq, to maintain it's 'new' status and will be finding it's way onto ebay very shortly

So...to get back to my original question...we are thinking of buying a bradcot active but have been given differing advice from dealers - some say leave the easy alloys well alone and go for the fibre, others say the alloys are the best! Has anyone tried a bradcot with the alloy poles? These do seem to be the easiest to put up thus avoiding the aforementioned harsh words and frayed temper.

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
go for fibre, aloy poles can bend easily in high winds & then will not slide in/out expensive to replace,& difficult to locate even from bradcot had to buy 2, 3 piece ridge poles *

May 2, 2006
Visit site
Have used both type but I find the Bradcot alloy supplied with the Antrim very easy to put up and the harsh words and frayed temper are a thing of the past.Graham

Mar 19, 2007
Visit site
Robert,

We bought an active with the alloy poles from the NEC show 2 years ago. We changed the van last year on the condition that it was the smae size awning rail as our last as I was not forking out for another active. I would highly recommend the active with the alloy poles as I put the awning up my self while the wife gets the kettle on it's that easy. I live in Northern Ireland and do a lot of touring near the coast so we get a lot of high winds comming off the the Irish sea and the Atlantic. And I have never had the poles bend in some serious high winds. Good luck.

Barry.

May 5, 2005
Visit site
Have had Dorema with alloy poles and have just bought an Isabella with fibre poles,much easier to put up the poles dont seem to jam as much I can honestly see why Isabella are so dear it is much solider and better shaped.The poles can only go together one way due to the key shape that locks the roof poles into the front frames.I know you asked about Bradcot but we had less 'harsh words' with first time Isabella than many times with the Dorema,an Isabella is much cheaper than a divorce

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Have had Dorema with alloy poles and have just bought an Isabella with fibre poles,much easier to put up the poles dont seem to jam as much I can honestly see why Isabella are so dear it is much solider and better shaped.The poles can only go together one way due to the key shape that locks the roof poles into the front frames.I know you asked about Bradcot but we had less 'harsh words' with first time Isabella than many times with the Dorema,an Isabella is much cheaper than a divorce
Thanks Dave, wise words - a quiet life is beyond price!!

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Robert,

We bought an active with the alloy poles from the NEC show 2 years ago. We changed the van last year on the condition that it was the smae size awning rail as our last as I was not forking out for another active. I would highly recommend the active with the alloy poles as I put the awning up my self while the wife gets the kettle on it's that easy. I live in Northern Ireland and do a lot of touring near the coast so we get a lot of high winds comming off the the Irish sea and the Atlantic. And I have never had the poles bend in some serious high winds. Good luck.

Barry.
Thanks for the reassurance Barry, it looks like the alloy may still be a possibility then.

Feb 14, 2007
Visit site
Personally, I would go for fibre poles. I have a "Classic" with "easy alloy" poles, but last year, in high winds, three bent slightly in v strong gusts, and are now impossible to slide together. Got replacements, v costly, but next time I will definately go for fibre, irrespective of awning make.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
hiya, i wanted a bradcot with the new pole system. The awning was faulty and went back but i hated it didnt like putting it up at all. we put more money to it and bought an isabella capri-lux. Now i know why people want isabell.

jo

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
Personally, I would go for fibre poles. I have a "Classic" with "easy alloy" poles, but last year, in high winds, three bent slightly in v strong gusts, and are now impossible to slide together. Got replacements, v costly, but next time I will definately go for fibre, irrespective of awning make.
Hi David,

I also have had some of my easy alloy poles bend when we were at Conil (Spain)Feb/March, I have not been able to find anywhere to get replacements,Could you please let me know where you got yours.

Grenville.

Feb 14, 2007
Visit site
Hi David,

I also have had some of my easy alloy poles bend when we were at Conil (Spain)Feb/March, I have not been able to find anywhere to get replacements,Could you please let me know where you got yours.

Grenville.
Hi Gren,

I purchased from e-bay supplier 6 months ago. Not sure if they are still active. (s'cus the pun).

I bought 3 off sections, the smaller of the diameters, which slide inside the largest of the poles, and managed to dismantle and reuse the slide clamps. Cost

TRENDING THREADS