Easy way to convert your van to a single 13pin plug

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Got a car with a 13 pin socket and a van with 2x7 pin plugs? Have to use an adaptor? Hate all that extra length you have to accomadate somehow? Then consider this, with an adaptor lead you basically have a grey and black lead going into a 13 pin plug.

So all I did was remove the 13 pin plug from the adaptor lead, remove the grey and black plugs from the caravan leads and fitted the 13pin plug straight onto the caravan leads!

Voila! No new parts required and whole thing only took an hour. Do remember to note lead positions in 13 pin plug whilst removing it from 13 pin lead. Prior to fitting 13 pin plug I fitted a length of heat shrink over the 2 caravan leads to make it into 1 lead(ish)! If you dont have access to heat shrink/gun then insulating tape will do just as well! Also took the oppertunity to shorten van leads slightly as I always find them too long!

Hope this helps

Andy 5Z

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Andy i tried that, coudn't do it, as the lead on the converter was smaller than that on the caravan, but i did buy a new 13pin socket for around

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes the grey lead on van is slightly larger than the one on the adaptor lead but with a touch of fairy liquid to guide it through the grommet I had no problems - nor any waterproofing issues - after all your using what was on your adaptor lead anyway!

Advantage of using original leads with adaptor plug is you still have correct size earth on fridge! Andy5Z

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Also there are different brand adaptors available, which is probably why i couldn't get the cables through the grommet, the core size on mine was smaller, not good for voltage drop, not impressed with adaptors, so i never used it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts