EHU cable

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi all,
I may be in a minority but in way this is understandable as this is a caravan forum, I bet if the same question came up on the motorhome forum there would be a more balanced view as it is easier to see the whole picture from both sides of the fence, not just one.
I also may be in a minority in other respects, but it does not mean I am wrong, just have a different view, while some believe it is everyone's responsibility to protect their kids, I do not "sorry" that's what parents are for.
we caravan'ed for over 40 years, bought our first one the year we married, brought up 3 kids in caravan holidays from babies to teenagers, and no they were not allowed to ride their bikes and play on someone else's pitch, or hang round the toilet block, play near the lake, climb trees, or generally make too much noise around the site, while we sat in the deckchairs enjoying the view slowing getting baked in the sun,
if the kids went to play they were supervised at all times, either in the play area or on the beach. my kids are/were my responsibility not someone else's. if we could do it why not everyone is parenting really so hard now,
the problem seems to be kids as no adult would go play with a hook up cable, :whistle: keep them off others pitches vacant or not and no harm can possibly come to them.
lastly, earlier in a post I posed the question on a safety issue, how many members turn off the MCB at the bollard before attaching the EHU and when connected test the circuit with test button, my hands up is yours.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

At the risk of being shot down in flames for supporting a reasonable approach to Health and Safety, I would make the following comment.

Even though the standard EHU cable and IEC plugs and sockets are classed as IP44 splash proof, they are not classed as waterproof. (You can obtain IP67 waterproof versions but they are only waterproof if mated or sealed with a plug, socket or cover of the same IP rating)

It is worth noting that when a blue CeForm plug or sockets is uncoupled the physical distance that water would need to penetrate the connector to make a conductive path to the outside is shorter compared to when the connectors are coupled. Its the depth of the interlocking skirts that increases the surface distance thus improving the the splash resistance and making them suitable for caravan and other recreational use where some additional rain protection is offered.

So if an standard EHU is disconnected from the caravan/motorhome and just laid on the ground but left connected to the bollard, there is a real danger that if it gets heavily rained on, or it drops in a puddle, there is a significant risk the phase (live) could track to the outside of the free socket producing a shock hazard.

It would be highly irresponsible of any owner to leave a live EHU cable un terminated on the ground. This would be a danger not only to adults and children should they touch it, but also animals. It may even be illegal as no one is permitted to leave and electrical supply system in a hazardous condition.

The EHU should always be connected last and disconnected first from the bollard to minimise risk.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Hi
It would be highly irresponsible of any owner to leave a live EHU cable un terminated on the ground. This would be a danger not only to adults and children should they touch it, but also animals. It may even be illegal as no one is permitted to leave and electrical supply system in a hazardous condition.

The EHU should always be connected last and disconnected first from the bollard to minimise risk.
neither of which apply if the MCB is turned off, up to now no one has proved the cable was live just connected.
not the same thing, but hey a cable is a cable live or not "Right! !!!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
It seems to me the reason a motorhome user leaves the EHU cable on the ground is either to say , hey this is my pitch I'll be back later or he / she is too lazy to remove it and wind it up..
On the Club sites you choose your pitch first then tell the warden. At that point if the warden sees you have pitched on a motorhomes pitch you will be asked to move.
So why is the EHU cable left lying around in the first place :) :( B)

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
colin-yorkshire said:
neither of which apply if the MCB is turned off, up to now no one has proved the cable was live just connected.
not the same thing, but hey a cable is a cable live or not "Right! !!!

Don't think anyone in particular is objecting to a cable being left plugged in if it's switched off at the bollard. I'm not, certainly (and I have said that).

In response to your question about switching off at the pillar when plugging in- the difference is that as an adult plugging your lead in you are choosing to create or avoid a momentary risk that affects only you, not generating an unnecessary and persistent risk to anyone or anything who happens to find themselves infringing on 'your turf'. It's not comparable.

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Ok let's look at the MCB then, great turn it of if you can but I have been on many sites and many of them do not allow access to the MCB for the motorhome/caravanner.
So what does a responsible person do in this situation?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
intransient1 said:
Ok let's look at the MCB then, great turn it of if you can but I have been on many sites and many of them do not allow access to the MCB for the motorhome/caravanner.
So what does a responsible person do in this situation?

The only sensible and correct thing to do is to disconnect the EHU from the bollard. The problem with leaving it connected and using the MCB/RCD in the bollard, is you generally you cannot easily see if the they have been switched of or not. Children animals and most adults would not check first.

Remove the potential hazard, then there is no doubt and no one will get hurt.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Currently (sic) on CC site. Their four page pamphlet specifically makes it clear to Motorhomes not to leave their EHU cable connected or lying about when not on site .
There are more Motorhomes than caravans here at the moment.
Rules are rules. :)
Then we move onto dogs kids noise and so on.
As I said before Colin is fully entitled to his view but it does seem very clear the CC don't agree.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
you mean you read the pamphlets, thought they were for lighting the BBQ :cheer: :cheer:
I seem to be in minority of one. so it is probably time to retire, not that it is of any consequence you understand as I don't frequent CC sites anymore however if I do ever decide to buy another camper, I will need another means to discourage interlopers may be a barbed wire fence around the pitch or a dozen of those fake dog poos to scatter round, I will let you all know what I come up with,
ps. there you go DD managed to mention dogs poo as it had not been covered before.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
In many years of handling insurance claims and investigating the accidents are remote if it can happen it will eventually. It is just a matter of time and I would not want the electrocution of a child on my conscience.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
Raywood said:
In many years of handling insurance claims and investigating the accidents are remote if it can happen it will eventually. It is just a matter of time and I would not want the electrocution of a child on my conscience.
yeah, and that's the real sad problem Ray, eventually. there are so many things that could go wrong, so many trip and obsticle hazards on site not to mention ponds, lakes, roaming dogs, speeding cars, wet grass. broken glass ect ,ect,
although it seems to fall on deaf ears the only way to keep your kids safe is to keep them close. educate them from an early age what not to go near, and how to behave, and not depend on someone else, to do it for you.
parental responsibility seems overlooked in all this debate, and that's sad, but hey there is always someone else to blame if something goes wrong they were only playing after all.
that my last bit I stand by everything I wrote, if other don't agree well that's for them , remember though, as you let them loose because they are on holiday. so is that old fart in the corner where they like to play.
I have learn a lot in 40years caravanning and this was the most important one, keep your kids safe because I won't.
roger and out,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts