Elbow grease and Clay Bar

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Just how difficult is cleaning the car / caravan with the Clay Bar? Is it very aggressive in paint removal going down to the primer😥😥

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
No it’s very gentle as you use a lubricant. I’d shudder at doing a caravan but a car is okay, but it’s still quite hard work. I did my daughter black Focus prior to sale. and it came up very well.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A special lubricant? A days work at our space?
I use demin water with some fairy liquid. Others use light oils. But for some it’s on a par with a religion. A bit like noseweight 😂

PS I only use a piece about the size of a 50 pence coin so takes quite some time to do each car panel. I’d really question why do a caravan. Autoglym would bring it up nice with far less effort.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I use demin water with some fairy liquid. Others use light oils. But for some it’s on a par with a religion. A bit like noseweight 😂

PS I only use a piece about the size of a 50 pence coin so takes quite some time to do each car panel. I’d really question why do a caravan. Autoglym would bring it up nice with far less effort.

Thanks Clive
It’s the cars. The Bailey paint is micron thin and won’t stand the rub!.
So distilled water clay and muscle👍

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
I have used a Bilt Hambler clay bar in the past that only requires water.
It is an arm killing exercise on a SUV, but not too bad on my MG. Wouldn't do a caravan though.
Be wary that any tiny piece of dirt or grit it may pick up can be devistating to the paintwork.
The paint on my MG is 10 years older now, and has some issues with micro blistering and cclear coat lifting so don't bother now, simple wash and polish then wax with some excelent autobright direct products keeps it looking acceptable until I can afford a full restoration.
Caravan gets a wash then polish with autoglym SRP, then their shiny top coat (can't remember the name ) but it lasts well over the winter making the first spring clean a lot easier

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I use demin water with some fairy liquid.
Many, many years ago when still new to washing caravans we made the mistake of cleaning the caravan with Fairy dishwasher liquid. Never again! It looked clean, but with loads of streaks even after washing with normal caravan shampoo. Eventually used car polish to get rid of the streaks.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have used a Bilt Hambler clay bar in the past that only requires water.
It is an arm killing exercise on a SUV, but not too bad on my MG. Wouldn't do a caravan though.
Be wary that any tiny piece of dirt or grit it may pick up can be devistating to the paintwork.
The paint on my MG is 10 years older now, and has some issues with micro blistering and cclear coat lifting so don't bother now, simple wash and polish then wax with some excelent autobright direct products keeps it looking acceptable until I can afford a full restoration.
Caravan gets a wash then polish with autoglym SRP, then their shiny top coat (can't remember the name ) but it lasts well over the winter making the first spring clean a lot easier
It’s Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection. I used it on the caravan, and on the cars. It’s easy to apply and polish up, and keeps the cars looking good with only a wash and shampoo.

Reactions: Bluetonic
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
When my Touareg was built it came direct from the factory via a central PDI centre rather than through the dealership - I'd pre-arranged for it to be professionally prepared and ceramic coated a couple of days after delivery - on initial inspection the guy reckoned it was the best paint job he'd seen in years with no swirl marks from a poor PDI - he's valeted the car regularly ever since and say's it's the best 8-year old car he gets to clean, thanks to the original preparation, the ceramic coating and the regular attention.

If only caravans were so well painted !

Reactions: Bluetonic
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
When my Touareg was built it came direct from the factory via a central PDI centre rather than through the dealership - I'd pre-arranged for it to be professionally prepared and ceramic coated a couple of days after delivery - on initial inspection the guy reckoned it was the best paint job he'd seen in years with no swirl marks from a poor PDI - he's valeted the car regularly ever since and say's it's the best 8-year old car he gets to clean, thanks to the original preparation, the ceramic coating and the regular attention.

If only caravans were so well painted !
Our caravan was the Paintseal ceramic coating and 6 years later still looks like new.

TRENDING THREADS