Elddis Avante 868

Aug 13, 2020
Visit site
Dear all

I am new to this forum and looking for advice if possible please.

My name is Cat and I am mum to two boys aged 7 and 5. As a child all I knew were weeks on end and frequent weekends in our Monzo caravan and I couldnt have wished for better holidays as a child. I want the same for my kids now and they are excited by the prospect of bunk beds!

My husband and I are looking to change our car within the next few weeks and we love the Elddis Avante 868, but I recognise that this one is a big tourer. However, it seems to fit our needs in terms of kids bedtimes, not having to take down beds etc. We also know that we have to take the towing test which my husband is looking into as I type this.

My question is, are there any Elddis Avante 868 who could share their opinions on towing cars? Or anyone else who can clear things up for us? We are looking at the Discovery Sport but according to some online tool ive tried it says that it is unsuitable to tow the Elddis caravan?

I would also love recommendations on awnings if at all possible? Between the caravan and the new car we dont want to be spending a ridiclous amount on an awning as we believe its going to cost 1k between us to get the towing test. Having said that, I would like a full awning if possible.

Thank you for any help you can give me in advance!!!

Aug 13, 2020
Visit site
Hi.

You perhaps read the online tool wrong, the disco will hardly notice it has a van on the back. See here.

John
Thank you for getting back to me so quickly John. I have looked at your link, is this true of any bhp and engine size?

thank you once again! The other option we are considering is the Volvo XC60 but the website said the same about that šŸ™ˆ Back to the drawing board!!
Cat

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
OP referred to Discovery Sport, not Discovery.

I do realise that and should have been clearer, but it is covered on the same link and has a 2000 kg towing limit. I think it is just slightly over the 85%. which is 1662 and the Elddis is 1711

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly John. I have looked at your link, is this true of any bhp and engine size?

thank you once again! The other option we are considering is the Volvo XC60 but the website said the same about that šŸ™ˆ Back to the drawing board!!
Cat

Some more info here, seems some of the Sports can do 2200 kg.

The Volvo XC60 is a great tow car I love my V70 and imagine the XC60 is an improvement on that, but on the face of it the Sport, with its higher max load would be most suitable.

But keep researching and take advice from those who use one.

John

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Worth reading the Prac Caravan review of the XC60 testing the R-Design model. (march 2018)
The kerbweight quoted is 1836 and the limit 2400. However it is the actual kerbweight that should be used which means that the max 1711 of the Elddis is actually 93%. The 85% figure is a guideline only. so this higher percentage may well be comfortable doable and safe with the right towcar. A Bailey weighing max 1532 was used for the towing test in the report.
The maximum towing figure is a technical figure that I think is related to a number of unit restarts on a steep incline. The towing limit is a chunk above the kerbweight which is always a good sign.
There is a review of the 868 here (May 2020) :

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
Hi ,
I can vouch for the xc60, we use the wife's to tow out van and it is not a problem at all very stable and comfortable .

1800kg swift we tow.

Aug 13, 2020
Visit site
Thank you all very much for the replies. I think i have become muddled along the way because according to this website that i have been using, different models for the same car differ in their towing capacity and appears to be dependent on engine size or bhp. I am very thankful for all your feedback though.

may i also ask if anyone would recommend towing a van of the eddlis avanteā€™ 868 size as a newbie. I have read a few other posts on forums that say the 8ft caravans, especially twin axles are ā€˜beastsā€™ and perhaps if new to towing to buy a smaller van? The only other one i really like is the elddis 586 but i am worried that would be cramped for 6 people. We are only small family of 4 but i would love to take other family members with us when this pandemic is over.

thank you all once again.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thank you all very much for the replies. I think i have become muddled along the way because according to this website that i have been using, different models for the same car differ in their towing capacity and appears to be dependent on engine size or bhp. I am very thankful for all your feedback though.

may i also ask if anyone would recommend towing a van of the eddlis avanteā€™ 868 size as a newbie. I have read a few other posts on forums that say the 8ft caravans, especially twin axles are ā€˜beastsā€™ and perhaps if new to towing to buy a smaller van? The only other one i really like is the elddis 586 but i am worried that would be cramped for 6 people. We are only small family of 4 but i would love to take other family members with us when this pandemic is over.

Six people in any Caravan is a squeeze. An option would be an awning that has a side sleeping annex. Older kids love them.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
You are correct to say that you will need to research the kerbweight of the specific model that you are considering buying - cars within a model range will vary both in kerbweight and maximum capacity. Any dealer worth his salt should have all these figures at his fingertips especially as some manufacturer brochures and websites are like hunting for needles in haystacks to find the details.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The 868 is a new model with an MTPLM of 1722 kg. This suggests that if the version of the Sports kerb weight is more than 2,000 kg it should be able to handle the caravan. I am assuming you would need the seven seat option and from what I have seen on the LR web site it should be. Anything made by LR is going to be an excellent tow car as that is there forte. They regularly win the towing awards despite being hampered by the price.
The recommended towing ratio is 85% in favour of the car but with any LR I would say this is far too low. This is a very old figure and does not take into account the improvements made in design since then.
Volvos are excellent tow cars as well but I doubt most people would put them in the same class.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

Cat
Hi Cat you look at a
Land rover Discovery Sport
Volvo XC60
What about a BMW X5

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
may i also ask if anyone would recommend towing a van of the eddlis avanteā€™ 868 size as a newbie.

The easy answer is, ā€œitā€™s too bigā€. There is much to learn for the driver when they start towing, even little trailers can be problematic. I think it depends on the drivers experience, capabilities, confidence etc. So very much a personal choice. There are many who have been towing for years who wouldnā€™t dream of it.

So thatā€™s no help then.

Perhaps you know someone who may let you try towing their van just to get the feel.

John

Reactions: RogerL
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

As you are a newbie it to big to start with a elddis avante 868 Twin Axle and i think you would benefit with Towing Courses with the caravan club
i would start of with the Elddis 586 touring caravan the kids could go in the Awning & Annex they would love it but it your choice .

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
To be honest it isn't the width of an 8foot wide van it's the length of the Elddis; we went from an Avondale which was wider than our next van our Bailey Pegasus , I think-and then moved to a Bucanneer-width really isn't an issue-it is only a few inches either side-and your towing mirrors simply give you that guidance but it is quite a long outfit-just do a towing course, and see how you get on-I enjoy our Buc and tbh makes v little difference to me but everyone has different confidences as drivers.

TRENDING THREADS