Elddis caravan front panels

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
We have recently brought a brand new Elddis caravan and I have to say I am very disappointed with how flimsy the front and rear panels appear to be, despite being told by the salesman that they were stone chip resistant. I used to have a Swift and the panels were alot stronger. Has anyone out there had any issues with there new Elddis caravan panels.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Can’t comment on Eldiss but suspect the panels are ABS, like on our Coachman. They are thin and flexible but remember they only keep the rain out, there is an inner wall that provides the strength. They will stone chip and can scratch or crack. They are repairable. They are supposed to be able to take quite an impact but can be susceptible to stress fractures.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Swift started to use grp for the front around MY 2012. They are more robust than ABS but more difficult to keep a shine on as the gel coat was quite thin.

As said above ABS are thinner (lighter) but do have a tendency to crack either due to poor manufacture/ assembly or because of flexure. I’ve had three ABS panels replaced on two caravans under warranty because of cracks. On another thread re Lunar the OP had a cracked panel on a new Lunar. So most makes seem to be affected. Such is progress in the caravan industry, but eh we get microwaves, heating apps, self levelling etc whilst the fundamentals are poor. A new panel would set someone back over £2000 plus any damp repairs caused by its failure.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Eldiss did have a major problem with front panels cracking at one time, but I have not seen any reports of problems on the newer ones. Given what the problem must have cost them I would think they should be far better now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts