Elddis Crusader supercyclone

May 20, 2009
Visit site
Hello All, does anybody out there own this years Elddis Crusader supercyclone.

We have been away in it twice , the second time the 2 grand children came with us. Any way we tried to sit down for the first meal and low and behold we could only seat 2 comfotable at the dinning table, at a squeeze we managed 3 and my wife had to sit on one of the fixed beds for her meal.

I should have mentioned earlier for those who are lucky enough not to own one of Elddis's top of the range vans at nearly £20000, that the lounge is an "L" shape and it is supposidly a 4 birth van, yes it sleeps 4 ok but 4 can't eat together.

I look forward to any suggestions or comment on my delema, Explorer Groupe are on holiday at the moment and when I contacted their customer support yesterday there was nobody in the office capable of answering my question so I have to waite 2 weeks before I can get an answer to how to sit 4 around a table in an "L" shaped lounge.

Would I be wrong in saying this van is not fit for purpose?

Arthur

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Arthur,

L shaped lounges have always been more difficult to seat four people for a meal.This problem has existed ever since L shaped lounges came about, and is why we would never have one untill we were sure most of the time only the 2 of us would be caravanning. We now have an L shape in our Swift Conqueror 655 and like it. We can fit 3 comfortably at meal time, 4 is a bit tight. However from many years experience from friends caravans with L shaped lounges we knew what to expect.

Yes it is a 4 berth caravan, but all caravans are a compromise.

I would say it definitly is fit for purpose.This is why some caravans are L shape. and some have parallel bunks.

We have helped quite a few people to buy caravans, and we always say to them to spend time in the caravan before purchase and work out storage, seating, eating and sleeping arrangements.

We almost made the same mistake as yourself a good many years ago, but luckily cravanning friends stopped us just in time.

Friends of ours with an L shape and 2 sons mostly eat in the awning. They bought an L shape knowing that most of the time only the 2 of them would now be in the caravan, and therefore decided on the L shape as the best compromise.

Hamer

May 20, 2009
Visit site
Arthur,

L shaped lounges have always been more difficult to seat four people for a meal.This problem has existed ever since L shaped lounges came about, and is why we would never have one untill we were sure most of the time only the 2 of us would be caravanning. We now have an L shape in our Swift Conqueror 655 and like it. We can fit 3 comfortably at meal time, 4 is a bit tight. However from many years experience from friends caravans with L shaped lounges we knew what to expect.

Yes it is a 4 berth caravan, but all caravans are a compromise.

I would say it definitly is fit for purpose.This is why some caravans are L shape. and some have parallel bunks.

We have helped quite a few people to buy caravans, and we always say to them to spend time in the caravan before purchase and work out storage, seating, eating and sleeping arrangements.

We almost made the same mistake as yourself a good many years ago, but luckily cravanning friends stopped us just in time.

Friends of ours with an L shape and 2 sons mostly eat in the awning. They bought an L shape knowing that most of the time only the 2 of them would now be in the caravan, and therefore decided on the L shape as the best compromise.

Hamer
Hamer thanks for your reply and your comments.

I just thought a 4 berth should cater for all needs including eating, everything else is ok.

Probably a fold up stool or chair would be the answer, but I think Elddis should provide this.

We spend most of the time on our own now and probably will only be in this situation the odd times.

We have already had to purchase a fold up table because there is no were to put a cup or glass down.

Thanks again

Arthur

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Arthur,

You have hit on another problem with an L shaped lounge. To save putting up the main table we use a 2 foot by 1 foot approx plastic camping table about 2 feet high.

About 3 years ago one manufacturer, i think it was Fleetwood (no longer made), had a circular table 20inches diameter which fixed onto a chrome single pole which slotted into a hole in the caravan floor. It was easily removed, stored away, and the main table erected if required.

I mention this because i have seen the same thing in a couple of motorhomes. It may be possible to purchase one from a motorhone manufacturer or a caravan dealer who sells motorhomes.

We have thought about one of these tables as it would be far more stable than the plastic table.

Hamer

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
We've got an L shaped lounge in our Bailey Provence. My wife likes it, I don't. The main problem is where do you put your G&T and olives etc.

Problem solved, we've just got a small circular folding table, (

Jan 12, 2007
Visit site
We have a 2 year old Crusader Superstorm with the same L shaped lounge and issues when eating at the front of the van.

It suits us as there are only 3 of us and the second parallel lounge at the rear can be used as fixed single beds like your Super Cyclone or to resolve the seating problems on the few occasions where there have been more than the 3 of us at meal times. Our compromise being the end bathroom, but on the plus side the central location of the bathroom in the Superstorm means there is less disruption if someone at the front of the van needs to use the toilet during the night.

However, we have used the L shaped lounge for eating on a number of occasions with 4 on board. We resolve the seating problem by taking a small collapsible stool, i.e. 2 sitting length wise at the front window with the stool opposite between the tv cabinet and kitchen units and the 4th person to the left. Not ideal as it means only 3 sides of the table can be used but there was ample room with 3 adults and fortunately my daughter always wants the stool!! We keep meaning to pick up a cheap lightweight deckchair as this would also fit in the floor space between the units and would be more comfortable than a stool.

With a little more thought the small cushioned area under the right hand window could have been made wider to allow use as a proper seat. The water heater could then have been located below - thus freeing up space under the front bed boxes which are at a premium due to the water heater and on board water tank.

Have to admit that for us this is only a minor gripe but for larger families with the Superstorm I can only assume they use both seating areas at mealtimes, or as others have said the awning.

Can't fault the van otherwise, only other gripe being the pull up window which are okay when you master the technique .Hope you enjoy yours and hopefully the summer this year will mean we will all be able to eat alfresco anyway!! (Have to dream!!!)

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
I have a Super Sirocco and my previous van was a Superstorm,we love the L shape and we have 3-4 people,a little tricky at feeding time but as we only eat a little every day the extra space and social bits outway this very easily.

Much better to cuddele and watch the tv with the over half i think.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
I have a Super Sirocco and my previous van was a Superstorm,we love the L shape and we have 3-4 people,a little tricky at feeding time but as we only eat a little every day the extra space and social bits outway this very easily.

Much better to cuddle and watch the tv with the over half i think.

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
hi Arthur, I own a 2007 super cyclone and it is my first l shaped lounge, but i find it overall better due to the extra space it gives especially for my dog on the floor. Meal times for us are usually in the awning, but when in doors we use a small folding chair at one end of the table and four is no problem.

May 20, 2009
Visit site
hi Arthur, I own a 2007 super cyclone and it is my first l shaped lounge, but i find it overall better due to the extra space it gives especially for my dog on the floor. Meal times for us are usually in the awning, but when in doors we use a small folding chair at one end of the table and four is no problem.
Yes I agree about the folding chair, it does help to get 4 around the table but don't you think Elddis should supply a chair?

I now have problems with customer support @ Explorer Group, can't get anybody to give me an answer, it's always we will take your name & number and get back to you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts