Elddis Typhoon EX300 hitch damper

Nov 29, 2017
Visit site
Hi all, serious problems I need to replace the damper on my caravan, I brought a new one from leisure shop direct, not convinced it's the right one but it's the one they said was for my caravan.
Started taking it to pieces today because a caravan mechanic said it's a doable job, not so far it's not but I have started so I,ll finish LOL
Have removed front bolts and one rear bolt but it refuses to come out, the sleeve moves in and out with the damper but the actual damper will not be removed, any one had any experience with one of these who could possibly give me some insight or a really big triumph hammer :huh:

Nov 29, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for that, I will go and hopefully find it, cheers

Just been through all ten pages of his post's and sadly not one regarding hitch damper never mind ;)

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
I did a quick search and this topic came up.... it should help as Damian, as well as being one of our moderators has been for many years an experienced and qualified caravan technician and knows exactly how these repairs should be tackled.
https://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/technical/40354-hitch-damper-replacement#304824
Hope this helps, and as always
Happy Caravanning
Regards
paws

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Youtube overrun damper replacement,bpw do good tutorials.Theyre all based on the same idea,good luck,hope you find what you're looking for.

Nov 29, 2017
Visit site
Just as an update, spent 3 hours last night and stripped it all down, as I say still no joy and absolutely refused to be extracted, gave in and had a caravan engineer out, he's been doing it for 25 years and has never seen one that wouldn't come out, today he met his nemesis LOL he's coming back Monday with the new damper and says he want go till he's changed it eeek giving me a fixed price though so not too bad I think, will tell me it tomoz when he gets price for the damper, the one that leisure shop direct sent is definitely not the correct one, way to small but the biggest one they sell which is for 18 + foot caravans.
They are going to give me a full refund and cost of postage so not too sad.
Hopefully it will be ok.
Now got to sort out tyres

Nov 29, 2017
Visit site
So an update on the damper replacement, eventually after speaking to a technical fitter at BPW who in theory thought he recognised the setup of my van, it still wouldn't come off/out, so a further conversation and he very graciously sent numerous pictures that in theory at least one should have been right, it wasnt, by now I'm really glad we are on a fixed amount, another hour and part of the handbrake removed it finally came out, luckily the part that was sent by BPW was the right part, so at last the van was good to go with two days to spare, she towed like a dream and we had a fantastic weekend on Richmond Holiday Park Skegness, everything worked as it should and i am really glad I changed up to a bigger van, now busy getting ready for our next jaunty, hope everyone is well and getting their wheels rolling

TRENDING THREADS