Elddis Xplore front window insurance

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I recently cracked the front window on my Elddis Xplore 544 2010, I contacted my insurance company who promptly sent out an assessor, they the declined this due to wear and tear, as you can understand I was not very amused as the caravan is only two and half years old, has anybody had a similar problem and can you please give me some advice as I wish to make an official complaint to the ombudsman.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Dave,

I'm sorry you have damaged your window.

The first thing to do is to very carefully read the terms and conditions of the insurance policy. This is what drives your policy, and it is what you have signed up to. You will also find the instructions on how to access the companies complaints procedure, which must be exhausted before the ombudsman will even look at a complaint.

Don't assume that your caravan policy has the same type of accidental cover as your household policies might for fixtures and fittings.

What you don't tell us is where exactly the crack is and how it was caused. In your posting you imply that you caused the crack, and that may affect how an insurer views their liability.

There are places on caravan windows that can be subject to considerable stress that can lead to crazing and possibly cracking of the plastic materials: the fixing points of the stays, hinges and window clips are such areas. Often such crazing and cracks are unsightly and whilst they do weaken the plastic, they often don't prevent the window from being used. Such damage is wear and tear and not accidental.

Without seeing your policy details it is impossible to know whether the Insurance company has acted correctly or not. However I know that many policies exclude liability for wear and tear as such matters should normally be either prevented or repaired through the normal servicing and maintenance of a caravan.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dave
In addition to The Prof's words of wisdom.
Your Elddis is less than 3 years old so presumably the windows are covered by Elddis Warranty against premature failure
smiley-undecided.gif

Both you and the Insurers need to be in agreement on causation.

The Insurer must spell out in plain English exactly why they are rejecting your claim and exactly what they mean by "wear and tear". I've not heard of a crack in a newish window being called that before.

Could a stone or some object have struck the window?

Let us have a few more facts and we can put our thinking caps on.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
At Easter 2012 when I arrived at a rally venue, I noticed a large crack on my front window, Sprite Alpine 4, 6 years old. I put it down to a stone thrown up on the A 64 near York we did hear a rattle alongside the car when I overtook a HGV. I contacted my insurance company and explained what had happened and give them an approximate price for repair, had contacted dealer already for price. They said the loss adjuster would contact me, which he did, I told him I had a photo, which was e-mailed to him, next day I was told to get a written quote from dealer and send it in.
All sorted within a week and a confirmation letter sent to dealer for repair, all I had to do was book the caravan in when the window was delivered to them. £950.00, I paid the £50.00 access, very good service from Caravan Guard.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Before you can complain to the ombudsman you have to make a formal complaint to the insurer and only if they reject the complaint can you go to the ombudsman. The reply from the insurer will give you details of mhow to complain to him or at least it should. Without knowing exactly what the damage is or hw it was causded it is difficult to say if the repair is covered, indeed you may have to look at the exact wording of the policy to see how they define accidental damage.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
The poster clearly stated that they had cracked the front window and gave no indication it was a fault due to manufacture. It seems they are saying it is accidental damage and they wish to claim?

TRENDING THREADS