Eldiss Affinity 540 awing porch question

Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
We aren't due to pick our new caravan up util the 16th of this month, a Eldiss 540 2014.

Does anybody know A, what the hight of the awing rail is, B, the length of the flat rail. C, any particular porch sizes that give major or no problems concerning covering windows/ locker access.

At first we'd had decided to forgo replacing the awning, and perhaps use windbreaks instead, but thinking more about how practical this really would be with the dogs, we have decided that it would be far better and safer to have a porch awing instead.

We really struggled with our Isabella awing, some was due to weight the other part wash the fixing for the roof poles, so looking at a air porch.

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
I think the Elddis website might give you the dimensions.If not, I'm sure the Elddis Caravan Owners Club would be able to help if you join.

Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
PTA, I did look and checked out the manual available but alas, all I've managed to find, its the size required for a full awning, couldn't see any mention of rail height nor the actual distances between, windows doors etc

Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
Sadly, owners club you pay for membership...

I know if I ask, I can go and measure up but kinda of don't want to be seen as a bit of a nitwit :rolleyes:

I know that we're will be visiting dealer a couple times prior to actually picking up the van, due to have my caravan and basically all my kit stolen back in May, I need to replace everything and not going to be able to load all in the car at one go, and don't fancy loading a caravan up with everything on the day I pick up.

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
Telephone/ email and ask the dealer?
I know Glossop Caravans have a large database of caravan awning sizes.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Most porch awnings have sufficient height variation to fit a range of heights. Some more modern caravans have hit a bit higher but not do much that the porch awning variation wouldn’t cater for it.

Reactions: PTA

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
PTA, I did look and checked out the manual available but alas, all I've managed to find, its the size required for a full awning, couldn't see any mention of rail height nor the actual distances between, windows doors etc
I don’t think any manufacturers give dimensions that would be useful for buying a porch awning. However ring Glossop awnings. As PTA said they have a database that will tell you which awnings won’t cross a window for your model. They were able to tell us which would be suitable for an Elddis we used to have. Turned out it was none of them. 😀
mel

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The distance between our door frame and the front nearside window is so minimal that no porch or midi awning will fit so it is unavoidable that the awning front side has to go across the window. So before erecting it I wash the window using plenty of water and J cloth. Then I wash the side (foam filled) strips that will go across the window. I’ve not noticed and scratches on the window. I also use two small stopper clamps that slide into the awning rail. One each goes up against the awning section within the rail. They then screw firmly into the rail and effectively prevent the awning trying to modify itself into a parallelogram .

Just search for Awning Rail Stoppers.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We have two awnings, both lightweight ones, a poled go outdoors , carbonlite, 360 and a Sunncamp 220 porch Air. The air one is great but the Vango like Mels Is better for my van .
We dont sit outside at night time so just need a cover, for the tables and chairs, they both erect ok, unless you feed them inside out into the awning rail.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We really struggled with our Isabella awing, some was due to weight the other part wash the fixing for the roof poles, so looking at a air porch.

The you are in for a BIG surprise as an air awning is a lot heavier to drag through the awning rail. We have a Isabella Magnum Coal porch awning and it is a lot lighter to drag through the awning rail than our previous Kampa Air Ace 400 as you are dragging along the awning rail a combination of the poles and sides with the awning.
BTW I would think that all Elddis caravans are the same standard height so I don't really see a problem.

Reactions: PTA
Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
Problem solved...

Went out yesterday, and measured an identical Eddie Affinity,

Flat Rail Length 420cm
Height 240cm

(Just incase anybody in the future might find this information useful)

We decided after a lot of debating (also looking at the different awnings on display) to go for Air Porch, we chose a Vango Kalri, as you can take the panels out to lighten the load if necessary. Hopefully we won't. but the option is there

TRENDING THREADS