Electric coolboxes

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Have been looking at electric coolboxes to supplement the fridge in the van. Have seen a waeco box at £140 which runs on 12v/240v/gas and also another weaco at £200 which only runs on 240v but can be used as a freezer too.

Question is which one to go for or should i look at another make?

Cheers for any advice

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Hi Cris,

Thats brill info, I am off to France this summer. Did you get your boxes from a caravan dealer while overthere or can you get them in a hypermarket??

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Hypermarket and the likes of Leroy Merlin and Castorama DIY.

Over the years are camping gear had been replaced and updated in France with quality gear at the end of August after the French holiday!

Even hose and connections is cheaper and better quality normally.

Our buckets, bowls and virtually everything we carry is French sourced, even a multi fit 12 volt supply for many uses at 3 euros and

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Hypermarket and the likes of Leroy Merlin and Castorama DIY.

Over the years are camping gear had been replaced and updated in France with quality gear at the end of August after the French holiday!

Even hose and connections is cheaper and better quality normally.

Our buckets, bowls and virtually everything we carry is French sourced, even a multi fit 12 volt supply for many uses at 3 euros and

G

Just one small caveat. All French electrical goods will come fitted with a French style plug. Not a big problem as you can cut it off and install a 3 pin UK plug, using the correct fuse of course. However, by doing so you immediately invalidate any guarantee, assuming you did wish to return the goods if faulty. Alternatively, use an adapter. I agree the risk is samll, and I also buy do goods abroad, but the bargain may not seem such a good deal, if it fails back here in the UK. You can at least return it to Towsure.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Scotch Lad. Makes a valid point.

I travel to France a lot and have a French address that I could use if I have any problems with goods.

I bought yet another 12volt cool box for a friend a few months ago for about

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Altavista Babel Fish site will translate the french web site!

"LE WA MUURLON" as the French say "Leroy Merlin" is a regular haunt when in France.

Their cafes normally do very reasonably priced good food and coffee as well!

"Quality" Fencing and wire for bird and Poultry cages is a generally a fraction of the cost here.

If worried about gas price hike and looking for a wood burner, they are another good buy if you can cope with he weight!

A well known UK internet retailer of woodburners, trailers them and fancy sinks direct from French DIY stores where he bays at the retail price ;-)

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Mike, thanks for the website, I have had a look at it but my French is poor and I cannot find electric coolboxes. Do you know the actual page that the boxes are on?

Cheers

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Cris,

Many thanks. I have tried babel and it worked really well but as you say a bit early to purchase a coolbox. I will have a look later in the year. Many many thanks.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Baz, if you can wait you will find that not on Leroy Merlin, Castoeama and Bricomarche DIY style stores, but the large Hypermarkets such as E L'Clerc, Auchan and others have large camping sections in the summer and you can find very good leisure coolers on offer in most of them as well as other leisure shops.

The danger is spending half the hol in the shops ! Towards the end of August when the French hols are over and the Brits are heading towards home and schools you find some nice gear on offer in the bigger stores, but being in the right one at the right time and grabbibg whilst its there can be tricky.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Baz, if you can wait you will find that not on Leroy Merlin, Castoeama and Bricomarche DIY style stores, but the large Hypermarkets such as E L'Clerc, Auchan and others have large camping sections in the summer and you can find very good leisure coolers on offer in most of them as well as other leisure shops.

The danger is spending half the hol in the shops ! Towards the end of August when the French hols are over and the Brits are heading towards home and schools you find some nice gear on offer in the bigger stores, but being in the right one at the right time and grabbibg whilst its there can be tricky.
"not only"

Mar 8, 2006
Visit site
New to this forum but have lots of experience of camping and some of caravaning. Was reading the articles on cool boxes and I really don't know why you would want to bother. One of the joys of being away is going out choosing fresh produce daily, thereby negating any need for a cool box. Aws for keeping your beer cold here's a little trick someone from the army taught me. Put the bottle, tin or carton in a sock keep it wet and everything will stay as cool as a cucumber. I don't bother with a fridge even. Save your self the

Aug 8, 2005
Visit site
nice thought Winifred - but when temps are up in the 40s plus and you can't shop every day I tend to worry a little about food safety.

Even in the car I enjoy being able to have cold water available.

I have even had to add an extra fan for cooling to my fridge at times - not to mention shielding it from the sun

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am watching this with intrest, we never go to France but we are considering a 12/240 volt fridge freezer which we can power in the back of the car or in the van so recomendations would be well appreciated.

Jun 9, 2005
Visit site
Baz, to answer your original question, I bought a small Waeco (Tropicool Bord Bar)for in car use on journeys. It is exceptionally well made of good quality materials and is quiet running.

By contrast I also have a Camping Gaz unit (Power Box)for awning use, which, although cheaper and larger is irritating noisy. Its the usual story-you get what you pay for, and Waeco is head and shoulders above the rest IMHO.

Mar 8, 2006
Visit site
THe sock was tested out in the gulf at the start the current conflict in Kuwait summer by my partner. The water doesn't have to be cold to begin with, it works on evaporation and it was how the soldiers kept the milk fresh!

It works for me every time and it means I make my little contribution to helping the environment but not running a fridge at home (which I turn off anyway whilst on holiday) and wasting yet more energy in a caravan. Really you want to use a caravan to enjoy the environment rather than destroying it by burning aviation fuel flying off to some foriegn destination all the time.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
THe sock was tested out in the gulf at the start the current conflict in Kuwait summer by my partner. The water doesn't have to be cold to begin with, it works on evaporation and it was how the soldiers kept the milk fresh!

It works for me every time and it means I make my little contribution to helping the environment but not running a fridge at home (which I turn off anyway whilst on holiday) and wasting yet more energy in a caravan. Really you want to use a caravan to enjoy the environment rather than destroying it by burning aviation fuel flying off to some foriegn destination all the time.
Hi Winifred

I was told of this years ago in the Scouts. It works well and as you say costs us or the environment nothing.

Do not worry about this Kanga idiot - hell hath no fury like a child who is told he is not liked or wanted.

G

I have also thought about one of the new little box fridges. However, I currently have a Camping Gaz Groenland CTL175P box fridge which I bought in France nearly 20 years ago. It is still working perfectly on all 3 power sources, and although it is cumbersome compared to the new ones I keep thinking. What the h..l? It currently sits in my dining room providing very cold beers and supplements the kitchen fridge. When the hot summer starts it will sit in the awning. I know one of these days it will give up the ghost, but they certainly knew how to make 'em back then.

Mar 8, 2006
Visit site
Hi Winifred

I was told of this years ago in the Scouts. It works well and as you say costs us or the environment nothing.

Do not worry about this Kanga idiot - hell hath no fury like a child who is told he is not liked or wanted.
Thanks for your kind comments. The way he went on I thought I must have been dreaming it. Every forum seems to have its joker. I like to have a bit of a laugh intermingled with good discussion where talk about a range of ideas and thoughts from all the diffrerent perspectives that we come from.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts