Electric hook up in France

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm aware of the haphazard wiring in France and in fact spent 2 weeks on a site this year where the polarity was reversed. (I have a polarity tester.) However everything worked ok and neither I or my wife received any electric shock from anything so my question is does it matter? If it does then can you buy a device that reverses the wiring? (I don't want to have to reverse wires at every site.)If not is this a gap in the market and should I rush out and patent it?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a change over switch made by Crusader quite a few years ago but probably no longer available.The simplest way is to make up a short lead with the Euro blue plug and socket on each end but reverse the blue and brown wires in one of them (MARK IT CLEARLY).When you arrive at the site you simply plug in the long lead (if its the French socket with the raised earth pin then use a French adaptor first) Check the polarity and if its reversed fit the short reversed polarity lead at one end.If you buy the French connection lead at UK caravan shops it will have the advantage that it is suitable for the French raised pin earth and the German earth on the side so if you travel to other European countries that use that system you will be OK

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I asume you have a short adapter cable for the continental elect points, Make up a second one that that is cross wired. Problem solved

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Pete, In a modern caravan the dnagers of reversed polarity are actually minimal, as most 230V equiepment is fitted with double pole switches and breakers. There are some exceptions, and then the danger is increased. I do not advocate knowingly working with reversed polarity. Now the solution, it requires a short piece of 2.5 mm mains cable fitted with an external blue plug and socket. The wiring is switched between the plug and socket so it reverses the polarity. If reveresed polarity is detected when you use the normal cable, simply unplug the caravan and fit the short piece, which corrects the polarity. If in doubt about how to wire the plugs etc consult an electrician.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Pete, yes it does matter. On the continent, domestic sockets & switches are double pole switched. Basically, when you switch one off, both feed & return cables are isolated. In the UK, only the live is isolated. Hence if you encounter reversed polarity, switching the switch off will stop the appliance working (because the "return" is isolated) BUT there will still be a supply into the appliance.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Pete, If the Live & Neutral are reversed then most, but not all, equipment will still work. The point to note is that when you switch a mains socket off is that you would be switching the Neutral off and not the Live.

You do not need to reverese the wiring from site to site. Buy another connector lead that connects French type sockets to the caravan mains lead and swop Live & Neutral at one end. Mark the connector accordingly. you will not get rich with this invention, or any other related to it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
just to add; some euro sites have the standard eu blue socket, but can be still reversed. best thing is to make up a short (1 foot) reversed lead using a blue socket and plug. patch in between the hook up supply (or fernch adapter) and your hook up cable if the polarity is reversed. i keep mine on the van all year round, saves rewiring. even with some vans having double pole brakers its better to keep the live live, who knows your van's braker may develope a fault even after you have tested it and how many people check the trip using the test button?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Domestic equipment on the Continent is not generally double pole switched. In fact, the majority of smaller electrical appliances are not even fitted with an earthed plug. Electric safety is then ensured by providing adequate insulation.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. I have made up a short reversed lead using the standard blue sockets. This way I can use it at a site in France that uses the modern blue sockets or I can use it with my french connector. Total cost

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts