Electric hook-up

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would love to hear from some technically minded person about max. wattage allowed on different amperage ratings at campsites. I will be using "camping cheques" this year where electricity is included in the price and offers great value. However, with my limited knowledge in this field, I could end up blowing fuses and no power. All replies appreciated.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Whenever I use my kettle or toaster, I have to ensure that the portable television (which apparently uses 8+ amps!) is switched off otherwise it trips the electric (bit of a pain on a rainy morning when trying to keep the kids quiet while making breakfast!). Also, if you use blow air heating, ensure you reduce it to the slow setting if using your appliances.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
David, as a rule of thumb guide you can take 1Kw (1000 Watts) is 4.5 Amps. If you look at the rating plate on the appliance it should state the Wattage. All you do is make sure you dont exeed the rating of the hookup. Allways aire on the side of caution though and remeber if you trip out the supply, there may be a charge for re energizing it. Good Luck, Bazz

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
well it may be better to talk in amps (watts divided by volts)as that is what most hook ups are quoted in. but this is a max figure at the hook up; not the actual (it may vary from site to site). in other words if everyone pulled the max current (amps) then the supply to the whole site would not go down. the cc advise to draw a max of 5amp per hook up so everyone gets electric. this is particularly inportant if the site is full or nearly full. however at some sites 4 amp is the max load. now calculate the load of each of your items in amps and try not to go to far over the 5 amp rule. it may be that you can only watch tv with the electric water heater off. in the cc handbook a 'amp load per electric item' table can be used as a rough guide.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not really a techie, but if I can help... Current (amps to you and me) is the reslut of watts (usually printed on the side of the appliance) divided by volts (assume 230v but that may vary). For example: low wattage electric kettle says 750w. Assume campsite supply is 230v. 750 divided by 230 equals 3.3 amps. If you turn your caravan heater on at the same time and set it to 1000w you will be drawing an additional 4.3 amps 1000/230 = 4.3). Total is now 7.6 amps. Turn on the electric water heater (750 watts) and you are now up to about 12 amps. And so it goes on. On the perfect campsite you might get a 16 amp supply so there should be no problem. On a French site you might get a 5 or 6 amp supply but I have known it to be as low as 3! When doing your calculations, don't forget the fridge will be cutting in and out (normally less than an amp but it causes a surge when it first cuts in which may take the current consumed to over 2 amps, although only for a second or so). Some people take the kettle from home which is rated at 2500w (at least). That's 10 amps on its own. Remeber that heating usually draws the most current. Lights and fridge alone will be fine on just about any campsite.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Many respondants have already pointed out that watts are the product of Volts x Amps. As volts will be reasonably constant (230V in the UK and most of Europe)you can produce a simple chart.

1A=230W

2A=460W

3A=690W

4A=920W

5A=1150W

6A=1380W

7A=1610W

8A=1840W

9A=2070W

10A=2300W

11A=2530W

12A=2760W

13A=2990W

14A=3220W

15A=3450W

16A=3680W

So when you get on site, check the available current then from the list you will know how many Watts you can use.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I a crib sheet with information extraELECTRICAL LOADS.

CARVER ELEC FAN. MASTER

HEAT 1. 1 KW. 4.0 AMPS

HEAT2 2 KW. 8.0 AMPS.

FAN ONLY. 12 VOLT.

CARVER WATER. HEATER.

ELEC HEAT. 0.6 KW. 3.0 AMPS.

FRIDGE 240 VOLT. 105 WATT. 0.5 AMPS.

cted from the van manuel ie

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I aaaam another techie, but You have been given all that techie stuff.. So this is piure practicle. Ask the site hookup max before booking, then there will be no nasty supprises.. Then when you hookup locat the reset. on some sites its in the office or control shed somewhere but others have it IN the hookup unit. if you have that you don't have to worry to much, keep a torch handy and if the lights go out or the kettle stops etc. swicth off the last thing connected, and go reset the atrip-switch. then decide what you can have and what you can't have together.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My husband and I are about to take delivery of a new Bailey Ranger, and we are totally new to caravanning. We are confused about 2 things.

1. Electrics.

We are having a detachable towbar fitted with a twin socket which I understand allows us to power the van's

appliances whilst on the road. However car is 12V and site is 240V ? Dont understand how the van can run off both 12 and 240 and

do we use ordinary TV, microwave, VCR etc ?

2. Does anyone know whether fitting a wheelclamp such as Bulldog QD44 would interfere with the levellers (ramps) we may use on uneven sites. The QD44 looks as though it might not work if we are using levellers.

Hope I have made myself clear..!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts