Electric Hook Ups - Why ?????

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Bill

Each persons wishes or needs may be different and equally valid for their own reasons, so what others think of sites with EHU is not really of any great value to me. It is of value to site owners and caravan manufactures who have to decide if they want to incorporate EHU's in there products or sites.

There has been a growing need for EHU sites, as over the years the aspirations of caravanner's have changed. Gone are the days of roughing it in what was basically a hard tent, to the current crops of homes with everything on wheels.

Manufacturers have sought to gain new customers by continually trying to offer just that little bit more than their competitors, so as a result what may have been seen as a luxury in years gone by, is now considered a piece of basic kit.

Caravans have become heavier because of the extra equipment that is now fitted as standard, and where as Gas used to be the main power source especially for heating and cooking, the appliances that use gas tend to be significantly heavier and more complex to manufacture than the equivalent electric only appliance. So weight saving is beginning to be taken seriously by the caravan manufactures.

Also, the items that people want to take with them on holiday, have also multiplied, and in line with current trends, they all seem to be hungry for electricity (Televisions, Computers, Games consuls) etc. It is no longer practical to rely just on the lead acid battery to provide all the electrical power needed if all these items are to be used, and in many cases they work best with 230Vac then the availability of a EHU is highly attractive proposition.

A fully charged 110Ah lead acid battery can provide about 1.3kWh of power, compare that to potentially (230 Vac16A EHU for 24 Hours) 88kWh!

I believe the all electric caravan is not far away.

May 31, 2007
Visit site
Hi Gerry,

Yes most of your points are quite valid, except I'd take issue with your kettle boiling times (gas seems to take forever!!!) but if Idon't have a 12v Tv 12v DVD etc, don't want to have to go and buy new equipment. But really I don't want to have to worry about it, I would be continually in fear of running out of power, I just don't want the hassle of having to charge up batteries, manage power, just no my idea of fun.

George

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Hear,Hear,Chrissie.

I don't want all the added bits & pieces.I like to choose those for myself.When will the manufacturers give us the option?......instead of having no choice.

Maureen
I agree - let's have the hook-up but choose what to take with us. My current bug is that all the potential replacements for our current (well-loved) van have an eye-level microwave. What's that all about? It's the MOST dangerous place you could put one and there's the potential to cause a facial and full-body scald if anything is dropped. As my son was scalded badly as a three year old it is my worst nightmare!

I would also like to choose whether I require a full size oven, (reducing weight) or more cupboard space, and have a choice of upholstery options.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts