Electric Socket on Kia Sportage

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Well we have jumped in the deep end and ordered our first caravan, a Swift Challenger 570, delivery in May 2010. We are probably going to link this to a Kia Sportage 'Titan' Diesel 4WD, however I have a question. The Towbar offered by Kia shows a 12N & 12S Electrical connector. From what I have read the latest is a 13 pin socket. Should I be looking to have a tow bar with the 13 pin electrics or am I OK with the Kia option.

During our extended deliberations I have gained valuable knowledge from the Forum that assisted our decision making and will appreciate any advice you experienced guys can offer me.

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi George Your new caravan will have a 13 pin plug - get your KIa fitted to match - much easier to connect and more reliable connections too. I initially used an adapter "lead" to connect my Bailey California (13pin) to my Mazda (12N&S) and that really was unreliable. Have now changed to 13pin. Mike

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
Make sure you tell the Kia dealer you want the socket "fully wired" in writing or you may find they just plug into the vehicle loom for road lights and you'll have no power for the fridge, battery charging, ATC etc.

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
I fully endorse what Chrisbee said, I am still tryng to get my 13 pin socket sorted on my Audi. Make sure you are absolutely explicit, car dealers in my past experience are just not up to speed on towing (especially caravan it seems) requirements even though they have been offering tow bars/electrics as an option for years. (And as I know, expensive 'factory fitted' is no guarantee either)

Bill D.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Hello everyone, thanks for all this invaluable information, I am having a prolonged test drive on the Sportage on Saturday and will now be able to ask the correct questions.

Appreciate all your help and information

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The Kia towbar that was fitted to our Sportage a couple of years ago turned out to be a cheap looking nasty piece of kit which rusted at the welds within 3 months.

I replaced it with a Witter detachable soon after. (the only reason I had the Kia bar was that it was thrown in as part of the deal when I bought the car.

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
Hello everyone, thanks for all this invaluable information, I am having a prolonged test drive on the Sportage on Saturday and will now be able to ask the correct questions.

Appreciate all your help and information
HI! Bedford George i have a 08 plate sportage XS DCI 2.0 LTR great tow car i tow a Swift Charisma 550 1500KGS with no problems great lowdown torque can get 60 mph on motorway in 6th gear even in strong winds . fuel, get 25/27 towing 42/44 solo. The vehicle starts off in 4WD up until 18mph then reverts automatically into 2WD then when you reduce speed it then reverts back to 4WD again under 18mph OR you can press the 4WD switch and it will stay in 4WD .great to drive solo also just like a car i found NO roll in the corners like some 4x4,s PLUS 7frs warrenty would highly recommend it for what you pay and the speck & finish is very good .hope this helps have a ggod test drive .Servise every year OR every 12500mls whatever comes

cheers Duggiefirst

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts