Electric tow cars or The elephant in the room

Page 5 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Just read that Lithium is classed as a rare element.
The major producers are Bolivia, Chile and Argentina.The boffins reckon there is enough to maintain supplies through to 2050. Let’s hope the South Americans don’t hold the world to ransom when we go full EV :whistle:

You make a good point, and whilst high energy density batteries use Lithium, countries with the raw material might choose to profit from their fortune, However, the present research into batteries is finding other combinations of chemicals, some of which may eclipse Lithium's dominance. I remember reading about a technology that uses silicon in the form of glass which had some very promising characteristics, which could revolutionise charging, 80% in 5 min or less, and have a much higher energy density. Sand isn't likely to run out soon!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Dustydog said:
Just read that Lithium is classed as a rare element.
The major producers are Bolivia, Chile and Argentina.The boffins reckon there is enough to maintain supplies through to 2050. Let’s hope the South Americans don’t hold the world to ransom when we go full EV :whistle:

You make a good point, and whilst high energy density batteries use Lithium, countries with the raw material might choose to profit from their fortune, However, the present research into batteries is finding other combinations of chemicals, some of which may eclipse Lithium's dominance. I remember reading about a technology that uses silicon in the form of glass which had some very promising characteristics, which could revolutionise charging, 80% in 5 min or less, and have a much higher energy density. Sand isn't likely to run out soon!

There will be lithium recycled from old batteries. The world has lived for years with a situation where oil has been used as a key bargaining commodity. Viz OPEC. But the world didn’t end, although there were a few wars and invasions in that time.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Clive,

As you suggest Lithium, like a significant amount of the other components of the present LiFeO batteries can and will be recycled. The Lithium doesn't become degraded when it used in batteries so it's very worthwhile to recycle it.

However in the context of DD's comment, the world presently only has a small percentage of EV's and other battery derived storage solutions, and as the percentage grows the demand for raw materials will increase, so if sources are limited the greed of whomever controls the source is likely to push prices up.

I don't know how extensive or wide spread natural Lithium is across the world, but when prices are pushed artificially higher by a controlling company or country it begins to make extraction from more difficult places or lower purity more attractive, oil is a prime example.

Shortages of key raw materials or political or commercial pressures are a common catalyst for developments of alternative solutions. Sometimes the new solutions are better than the original, and we know there are many different organisations who are presently looking at more efficient ways of storing energy, not just electrical energy. LiFeO is not the only solution!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Hello Clive,

As you suggest Lithium, like a significant amount of the other components of the present LiFeO batteries can and will be recycled. The Lithium doesn't become degraded when it used in batteries so it's very worthwhile to recycle it.

However in the context of DD's comment, the world presently only has a small percentage of EV's and other battery derived storage solutions, and as the percentage grows the demand for raw materials will increase, so if sources are limited the greed of whomever controls the source is likely to push prices up.

I don't know how extensive or wide spread natural Lithium is across the world, but when prices are pushed artificially higher by a controlling company or country it begins to make extraction from more difficult places or lower purity more attractive, oil is a prime example.

Shortages of key raw materials or political or commercial pressures are a common catalyst for developments of alternative solutions. Sometimes the new solutions are better than the original, and we know there are many different organisations who are presently looking at more efficient ways of storing energy, not just electrical energy. LiFeO is not the only solution!

I’ve been out of action this last week which has given me a chance to read more about EVs.
The silicon application is a good point Prof. They will use it as the anodes which apparently increase the battery charge discharge x3.
The following article is an eye opener and very exciting. If these advanced charging rates can be achieved,the sky is the limit.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/gadgets/news/130380-future-batteries-coming-soon-charge-in-seconds-last-months-and-power-over-the-air

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Found this little bit in our wonderful governments information, that the unladen weight of an EV Does not include the weight of the Batteries,

Screenshot-2019-11-22-20-23-02.png

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Found this little bit in our wonderful governments information, that the unladen weight of an EV Does not include the weight of the Batteries,

Screenshot-2019-11-22-20-23-02.png

Wonder if the designers of Prince of Wales bridge et al allowed for that possibility in 2050 with Bank Holiday traffic loading it? :)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Buckman said:
Unladen, kerb weight and MIRO all seem to have different meanings in the UK.

I'm not sure what you're trying to compare them to? Just to be clear the terms you have identified all refer to different measurements, they are not measuring the same thing. Or are you suggesting that the definitions we use in the UK differ to definitions used elsewhere in the EU?

We know that kerbweight seems to be a movable feast, but both ULW and MIRO are defined in EU wide regulations and as far as I know the definitions are common throughout the EU. EU regs will differ compared to other parts of the world.

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
It was the EU that forced our Labour Government to promote diesel vehicles.
It is the EU that are forcing the pace on pollution from road vehicles.
Yet heating by wood and gas produces more pollution.
But, that would not be an easy target.
Once we leave the EU, we can forget all their idiot regulations.

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
The Earth moves round the Sun in an eliptical spiral, it takes 750,000 years to complete and return to where we are now. For the past 22,000 years we have been gradually moving from the last ice age, as we do the Earth is gradually getting hotter. There is nothing we can do to change this.
Eventually, the Sun will engulf the Earth. Long before that happens, life on Earth will cease.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Perry525 said:
It was the EU that forced our Labour Government to promote diesel vehicles.
It is the EU that are forcing the pace on pollution from road vehicles.
Yet heating by wood and gas produces more pollution.
But, that would not be an easy target.
Once we leave the EU, we can forget all their idiot regulations.

Perry525 said:
......t takes 750,000 years to complete and return to where we are now. For the past 22,000 years we have been gradually moving from the last ice age, as we do the Earth is gradually getting hotter. There is nothing we can do to change this.
Eventually, the Sun will engulf the Earth. Long before that happens, life on Earth will cease.

I'm guessing that you'd be in favour of air con units being fitted as standard to British caravans then? B)
Seriously, we don't encourage the airing of political opinion on our message boards and we try to stick to relevant points which are connected with our hobby.
This is a caravan forum Perry, if you want to impose your political opinions on others please use a more appropriate website ;)

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
When you drive round London, you see thousands of roads where there are cars parked nose to tail 24 hours a day. People cannot park outside their homes, many homes have several cars. There is no way that there can be enough electric points for all these cars. Are these people to be deprived of their cars and to be made unemployed, because they cannot get to their place of work.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Perry525 said:
When you drive round London, you see thousands of roads where there are cars parked nose to tail 24 hours a day. People cannot park outside their homes, many homes have several cars. There is no way that there can be enough electric points for all these cars. Are these people to be deprived of their cars and to be made unemployed, because they cannot get to their place of work.

None of us have a dedicated petrol/diesel pump either, yet we manage. I'm not suggesting using an EV is as convenient as a conventional car, they will require different habits, and EV's may not be the only solution. There are already alternatives, such as Hydrogen power, and I'm sure other solutions will also be found. What I am certain about is whatever alternatives are used there will different pros and cons, and users will have to work out new use and storage strategies.

Incidentally, when/if we leave the EU, don't expect a sudden or significant relaxation of regulations. The vast majority are or will be written into UK law and regulations en mass without change.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Perry525 said:
The Earth moves round the Sun in an eliptical spiral, it takes 750,000 years to complete and return to where we are now. For the past 22,000 years we have been gradually moving from the last ice age, as we do the Earth is gradually getting hotter. There is nothing we can do to change this.

If your astrophysics is correct then the earths orbit must have changed somewhat to allow for the “ recent” rapid increase in global warming if it’s not contributed to by human influence.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Buckman said:

I'm not sure what you're trying to compare them to? Just to be clear the terms you have identified all refer to different measurements, they are not measuring the same thing. Or are you suggesting that the definitions we use in the UK differ to definitions used elsewhere in the EU?

We know that kerbweight seems to be a movable feast, but both ULW and MIRO are defined in EU wide regulations and as far as I know the definitions are common throughout the EU. EU regs will differ compared to other parts of the world.

I made s simple observation and I am at a loss what you do not understand about it? I never mentioned that I was comparing them to anything or are you trying to create discussion to demonstrate that you are more intelligent than any one else? ;)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
As the world will last at least another 2 million years I’ll keep caravanning :whistle:
Tesco Cirencester have this week opened two charging points for customers use. They are free! Only to be used whilst shopping . There will be super fast chargers but a charge will be made.
A step in the right direction.
If the technical development in batteries and chargers continues as per recent articles there may be hope for an electric tow car in my life time. The hybrids have an attraction but for reasons unknown have a very low MTPLM ability.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
As the world will last at least another 2 million years I’ll keep caravanning :whistle:
Tesco Cirencester have this week opened two charging points for customers use. They are free! Only to be used whilst shopping . There will be super fast chargers but a charge will be made.
If the technical development in batteries and chargers continues as per recent articles there may be hope for an electric tow car in my life time. The hybrids have an attraction but for reasons unknown have a very low MTPLM ability.

A new Lidl’s has opened near to us and two charging points have been installed and I think that they too are free to use. Can’t say I’ve seen anyone using them, but heck it’s Lidl not Waitrose. :)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
Dustydog said:

A new Lidl’s has opened near to us and two charging points have been installed and I think that they too are free to use. Can’t say I’ve seen anyone using them, but heck it’s Lidl not Waitrose. :)

I’m now checking out Caravan sites near Tesco and Lidl for my EV tug to Scotland. With time on my hands this could potentially be a real fuel saver :cheer: Exciting times :)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dustydog said:
otherclive said:
Dustydog said:

I’m now checking out Caravan sites near Tesco and Lidl for my EV tug to Scotland. With time on my hands this could potentially be a real fuel saver :cheer: Exciting times :)

But what about all the extra weight you will have from shopping whilst you wait for your car to charge :S ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Buckman said:
ProfJohnL said:
Buckman said:

I made s simple observation and I am at a loss what you do not understand about it? I never mentioned that I was comparing them to anything or are you trying to create discussion to demonstrate that you are more intelligent than any one else? ;)

Until your posting, so far in this thread ULW has been only been mentioned in the link to the Governments description. No one had mentioned MIRO, and no one has suggested or implied that ULW, MIRO or let weight were the same, So I'm wondering what may have prompted your statement, and whether it might need to be clarified or explained.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
From what I know drivers use the stop to have a meal on longer journeys although I suppose a hearty meal means you weigh more, so the cars weight still goes up.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Raywood said:
From what I know drivers use the stop to have a meal on longer journeys although I suppose a hearty meal means you weigh more, so the cars weight still goes up.
Relax boys ;)
Both Tesco and Lidl have customer toilets :whistle: :whistle:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts