Electrical Issue - Any Advice Appreciated

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Any clue from the following please:

1. Changed battery on caravan.
2. Connected mains lead to van - 230 volts systems fine in van (sockets/lights etc) all working.
3. Pushed black button in on under-seat fuse/charger etc box but no green charger light. Amber heating/hot water lights when pushed in and battery showing 13.6 v on over door panel.

When I push the charger light switch in the reverse polarity indicator flashed briefly and a light appears next to the relevant fuse (25 amp) as shown in pic. I've checked fuse and ok - even swapped it for another to be sure.

Question please.

1. I understand that the charger light should illuminate even if no charge is required by battery - i.e. it stays lit up constantly? Is this the case? Not something I've ever noticed but certainly the over door panel shows no 230 v coming into van when just charger set to operate.

2. I've never before noticed the bright green light illuminated against the charger fuse before - does it indicate anything?

Any further advice.

Strange thing is van was serviced a couple of weeks ago and all well then I presume.

Attachments

• charger.jpg
    charger.jpg
    782.1 KB · Views: 11
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I had similar symptoms on our Swift when I changed the battery,the reversed polarity light flashing is normal according to handbook,I changed my mains hook up lead for another one, and all was well by which I mean the charger light andthe heating light both stayed lit, then I changed back to the original hook up lead and all worked fine again, can't explain it but it just worked. Also find the black push button seems to be a bit intermittent from new, but our service man can't find any fault with it after 4 years. Hope this helps

Reactions: Dustydog
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am not sufficiently ofay with the detail operation of more recent charger systems, but, many caravan manufacturers add an inline fuse in the positive wire from the battery. If that has blown it might produce some of the effects you have seen.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Physically measure the voltage on the battery posts, if that is over 13 volts then the fuse the prof mentioned is okay, plus the charging system is working.
If it is 12.8 volts or less then in combination with the inboard panel showing, as you say 13.6volts we know the fuse is blown or there is some other break in the battery's connection. Plus, that 13.6 volts hints the charger is probably okay.

Reactions: Dustydog
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Beginning to wonder if I've lost the plot!

Maybe because it's getting darker but I can now see a glow in the green charger button! I seem to remember it glowing really brightly in the past but beginning to doubt my sanity!

However if I check the panel over the door there is no indication of AC current draw. I would have expected some since now solar giving nothing but surely, although battery charged with CTec when bought a couple of days ago, it will have lost a tad and need some small charge? If I switch lights etc on then AC draw shows as expected.

Is it possible battery fully charged so although charger working currently no demand thus no AC draw? And will no demand change the green light from bright to dim (I rather think not but would be pleased if that's the case)

Have checked all fuses as suggested earlier. Checked battery before installing it with multi-meter (13.6 v). Checked any wired I might have disturbed fitting new battery. Relieved to hear reverse polarity light does flash unexpectedly!

Will stop worrying now. Plan tomorrow is to check motor-mover working correctly - if it can push van up dropped curb (yes, you've guessed, now new battery!) and check if then depleted battery is demanding and getting a charge.

Don't go away may still want/need further hints.

But sincere thanks for help so far.

Reactions: Hutch
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Progress.

This morning green charger light still glowing, battery at 13.6 v and no AC input showing to suggest charger charging.

Used mover to climb up and down simulated dropped curbs and no issues at all. Previously with former battery mover was cutting out every few seconds and certainly would not mount curb.

Looks like new battery has made difference.

As for charger. Without EHU battery before using mover was showing 13.6 v and after mover 13.0 v.

Plugged in mains to van and charger light on switch still glowing but panel over door now showing battery initially at 14.0 v and a current indicated on the AC Input showing a draw for the charger. Phew!

In my case the green charger switch still only glowing but wife and I firmly believe it used to shine as brightly as the heater switch next to it. Strange!

Again in my case fully charged battery was not showing any AC draw yesterday and voltage was stable at 13.6 v. Switching charger on and off made no difference.

Today after using the mover battery charging and draw on AC showing.

Bit of a faff for nowt I guess.
:ph34r:

Sorry for wasting your time although maybe some other poor soul will have greater faith than I if experiencing similar issues.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Like I commented on the other forum, ours glows very dimly, BUT as you have said, I'm convinced that previous caravans had it glowing just as bright as the heating switch.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
In reality it was only the dim charging light that initially suggested something was wrong. I could think of no reason simply changing a battery would mess up anything else so the lack of a bright green button immediately concerned me. The rest is history.

May 10, 2020
Visit site
Regarding the glowing green switch, probably just a dicky “bulb” in the switch. The one in our home shower switch is the same. Was bright now dim.

Reactions: Johnb

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts