Electricity usage

Mar 1, 2020
Visit site
I have been caravanning for several years and camping before that but have always had an electric hook-up and often other services.
I'm contemplating booking a pitch at a small music festival but there is no electric. I can use gas for the fridge. cooking and hot water. Toilet is manual. It's only me in a small 2 berth van in July so lighting requirements will be minimal. I can easily get some AA battery powered lights to save the caravan battery. I'll put the fridge on at home a day or so before I leave even though it will be on gas and I'll have to forget using the motor movers on arrival if I can't drive/reverse on to a pitch. I'm sure someone will help if necessary. It would deplete the battery.
That really leaves the pump, tv and radio, and charging my phone and ipad although I can take a fully charged power pack but that won't keep both charged over 5 days.
The caravan battery is a healthy 110ah.
The festival runs from Wednesday to the following Monday.
I can't see that anything I'm going to use will drain the battery over this period but I would appreciate any advice from those in the know.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I have been caravanning for several years and camping before that but have always had an electric hook-up and often other services.
I'm contemplating booking a pitch at a small music festival but there is no electric. I can use gas for the fridge. cooking and hot water. Toilet is manual. It's only me in a small 2 berth van in July so lighting requirements will be minimal. I can easily get some AA battery powered lights to save the caravan battery. I'll put the fridge on at home a day or so before I leave even though it will be on gas and I'll have to forget using the motor movers on arrival if I can't drive/reverse on to a pitch. I'm sure someone will help if necessary. It would deplete the battery.
That really leaves the pump, tv and radio, and charging my phone and ipad although I can take a fully charged power pack but that won't keep both charged over 5 days.
The caravan battery is a healthy 110ah.
The festival runs from Wednesday to the following Monday.
I can't see that anything I'm going to use will drain the battery over this period but I would appreciate any advice from those in the know.
All sounds very sensible and doable. For such occasions, I rigged up a charging system in the boot, and would take the battery for a drive to give it a boost.

Just in case, can you perhaps borrow a spare battery as a backup.

John

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Don't use TV and you should be fine, which shouldn't be problem as you are there to listen to music . Also turn 12V master switch off during day when out as caravan controller still draws some power. We had 4 days off grid with lights, water pump and charging tablets + phones being main power consumption. 100AH battery didn't get to 50%.

Worth changing to 12V LED bulbs where you can, besides power saving should improving the lighting.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You plan seems doable, but whilst the motor mover does need quite a lot of current to make it work, it's used for such short periods that the drain on the battery capacity is much less than you imagine,

In other threads I have done quick calculations about how much battery charge is used and typically to manoeuvre a caravan from driving across the end of a pitch, uncoupling and using the mover to turn the caravan through 90degrees and reversing onto the pitch will only use between 1 and 2 Ah of battery charge.

So unless you have a really long way to move the caravan, I think you should be fine to use the mover.

Feb 23, 2024
Visit site
I suppose it depends on how belts and braces you want to be and what price you put on convenience.

Perhaps overkill for me and my better half who insists on straightening her hair and I like to chill watching tv at night sometimes so we bought a 300w inverter and stuck a 170w solar panel on the roof.

Before anyone shouts me down, no I hadn't ever done this before and know little about electricity etc more than if it works well enough I am happy.

All the same, it does work for us - the idea came when we went to The Torchlight Festival last year and the split electric hook-up they used meant all the air fryer use, tv and lights etc drained the 110ah battery so much the motormover didnt work when we packed up to come home :). Silly rookie mistake but hey you only learn by failing and learning.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
These generator American design and manufactured in China seem to get good reviews. There is also a dual fuel version. https://www.championpowerequipment.co.uk/products/champion-2200-watt-inverter-generator-92001i
Have to check if campground allows use of generators.
A simpler solution is portable solar panel which can be placed in front window when out or setup outside when owner is around.
The advantages of portable is they can be placed to face sun for max output unlike fixed roof top panels which rarely produce max power.

Reactions: Deejuk
Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
A 100 watt (or greater) suitcase style solar panel will keep your battery well topped up including your desire for the TV.

When going to sites with EHU leave it at home.

Mar 1, 2020
Visit site
Many thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I can certainly do without the tv provided it doesn't rain every day. The suitcase type solar panel could be worthwhile.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts