Electrics and water confusion - vintage Buccaneer

Sep 21, 2021
Visit site
Hi all - I am hoping for some help as I am new to owning a vintage Buccaneer (my first caravan).
I have managed to get the gas appliances running which is amazing as she has been in a barn for 30 years.
However - I am confused regarding the electrics (some modifications) and which connector to get for the water inlet (the bit that connects to the caravan and then on to the pump that sits in the water barrel).
I hope some of you will have some knowledge and be able to help - I thank you in advance.
Pictures attached for clarity - any help on anything greatly received.
Thanks!

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    867.9 KB · Views: 30
  • unnamed-1.jpg
    unnamed-1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Tew

Welcome to the forum

My you do have a fairly old system which has been modified by someone. I need to tell you the plastic pipe work looks to be in poor condition, and you ought to consider re plumbing it all with food grade piping as used by all present day caravans and to replace the very unsanitary external hose connection.

Definitely do not drink the water delivered through the system.

What you've got is a manual foot pump,which you will use to prime the electric pump. You may get air in the ppes when you change a water barrel, and that's when you may need to reprime the system.

The system also has a pressure switch (with teh knurled top knob) and that should control the pump switching it off when the taps are closed. Check out WHale Pumps web pages for instructions on how to set the pressure switch.

Sep 21, 2021
Visit site
Hello Tew

Welcome to the forum

My you do have a fairly old system which has been modified by someone. I need to tell you the plastic pipe work looks to be in poor condition, and you ought to consider re plumbing it all with food grade piping as used by all present day caravans and to replace the very unsanitary external hose connection.

Definitely do not drink the water delivered through the system.

What you've got is a manual foot pump,which you will use to prime the electric pump. You may get air in the ppes when you change a water barrel, and that's when you may need to reprime the system.

The system also has a pressure switch (with teh knurled top knob) and that should control the pump switching it off when the taps are closed. Check out WHale Pumps web pages for instructions on how to set the pressure switch.
Thanks so much for the advice - sounds like I have some work to do!

Sep 21, 2021
Visit site
Thanks so much for the advice - sounds like I have some work to do!
Is replacement of these parts straight forward on an old caravan? The external hose connection doesn't seem to fit any fittings I currently have - and doesn't look like anything you would find on a modern caravan ...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Is replacement of these parts straight forward on an old caravan? The external hose connection doesn't seem to fit any fittings I currently have - and doesn't look like anything you would find on a modern caravan ...
That is correct, If you decide to replace it then you would almost certainly need to get a more modern wall mounted connation system.
Approporiate parts can be obtained from caravan dealers, but check out Whale products (Munster Simms Ltd) or Truma.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It may be wise to get an AWS technician to give the caravan a service and a once over for peace of mind before spending too much money on the caravan and taking it out on the road.

Would you mind posting some pictures of the outside and inside layout of the Buccaneer as a few of us have newer Buccaneers and it would be interesting for us.

BTW there is a Buccaneers Owners club where you may be able to get more information about your model of Buccaneer. Also on FB there are two Buccaneer Caravan owners group where you may be able to get some valuable information.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I do agree with Buckman here. Can you tell us the age as with a foot pump it looks to be a 1970's model or earlier. The Retro Caravan Club or the Classic Caravan Club might be able to help. Possibly what you do may depend on if you want to preserve it as it was made or update it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts