Electrics, Wheelclamps

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My husband and I are about to take delivery of a new Bailey Ranger, and we are totally new to caravanning. We are confused about 2 things. 1. Electrics. We are having a detachable towbar fitted with a twin socket which I understand allows us to power the van's appliances whilst on the road. However car is 12V and site is 240V ? Dont understand how the van can run off both 12 and 240 and do we use ordinary TV, microwave, VCR etc ? 2. Does anyone know whether fitting a wheelclamp such as Bulldog QD44 would interfere with the levellers (ramps) we may use on uneven sites. The QD44 looks as though it might not work if we are using levellers. Hope I have made myself clear..!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
All elextrical appliances in a caravan are designed so as to run off either 12 or 240 volt electrics. The fridge has a three way switch whereby it is powered to run by either 12,240 volts or gas. The lights will also be either voltage. Water heating, pump and blower to fire are likewise so designed. This is built into the appliance so do not worry about the technicalities as long as you are aware that they can be switched accordingly.

As far as wheel site levellers are concerned in over 30 years of caravning I have never used them so I cannot reply to this part of your question. Make the most of your new purchase and enjoy caravaning. Good luck.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just to get you started, the 12v power through the grey socket on the vehicle is mainly used to power the fridge while mobile, on site it will be powered by 240v or gas. you then have the option of 12,240v,or gas to power other appliances assuming you use sites with 240v hook up, generally speaking, 240v only, tele's ect are some what cheaper than dual voltage appliances.

you will find mains hook up quite useful for the dual fuel water heater and van heating. If you intend to use sites without 240v hook up, a lot more needs to be cosidered for your list of equiptment

The wheel clamp can be put on the oppsite side to the levelling aid. I took delivery of a new Ranger 460/2 this year so if I can be of further help please let me know.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The van has two separate systems which join via a transformer/charger when you are on 230V hook up.You use normal 230 V appliances in the 230V sockets in the van but it is advisable to get a 230V low wattage kettle as a normal one will trip out the electrics on some sites.The van lights will mostly work on 12V so that you can use them when no 230V hook up is available.The water pump will also work on 12V.You will need a good leisure battery fitted to the van.Wheelclamps and hitch locks are demanded by most insurance companies even on site.Hope that helps--Happy Caravaning

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I use lumps of wood if I need to level the van from side to side. As for the QD44 wheel clamp don't buy one they are currently removed from vans in about 15 seconds by team touring the country. Go for the Buldog Titan. Yes I know it is heavy but it does the job and it is worth it on a new van. Mine does not get in the way of my leveling blocks or I use it on the other side. Hope this helps.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Andy

All the info given is tops but suggest you join the caravan club and go to the members only page and download the technical info sheets on electrics etc. this will tell you all you need to know particularly what each socket on your car serves. Good luck

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts