electrics????????

Jun 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all,

Have purchased our 1st van and we are chuffed to bits with it.

the van has 2 skts and 1 fused spur for fridge. is it possible to add more skts or better still can you use a double plug/ extensions etc.??

Also can someone explain why lights are 12v, it seems crazy to have to use up 1 socket for the batt charger to keep batt charged to power lights???

Hope someone can help, happy holidays

stuart

Abi Marauder 1993

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Stuart, you don't say the age of your van so I will have to generalise. You could addd extra sockets but you must ensure that the items you are connecting to them do not exceed the current rating of the MCB (fuse) in the consumer unit. You can use adaptors or extension leads but again make sure they are not overloaded or trip, scald hazards etc.

The battery charger is normally connected via a fused spur or even directly to the consumer unit where it has its own MCB.so If yours is connnected vai a normal socket that would be available for other items then it suggests it was not fitted at manufacture.

The reason there are 12v lights, and water pump etc. is so that you do not need electric hookup and somehow in the stone age we all managed to caravan without it. Incedentally the battery will not require charging very often if you are using 12v tube type lights but spot lights draw a lot more current.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Stuart, sorry I see it is a 93 Maurauder. my comment still apply and I would have thought that the mains electric installation was put in by the manufacturer. If so I'm surprised that they used a socket to powewr the charger that is available for other things and is not in a bed box / wardrobe etc.

Jun 14, 2005
Visit site
Stuart, sorry I see it is a 93 Maurauder. my comment still apply and I would have thought that the mains electric installation was put in by the manufacturer. If so I'm surprised that they used a socket to powewr the charger that is available for other things and is not in a bed box / wardrobe etc.
Hi Ray, thanks for your post. The electrics are indeed oe. But the charger is a halfords unit as i said plugged into normal skt.

i take it i could run a fused spur to its current location which is near the mcb etc anyway under a bed.

I take it the mains is a radial type system not a ring main??

Would i spur from another socket or direct from box?

thanks for your help

stuart

Jun 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ray, thanks for your post. The electrics are indeed oe. But the charger is a halfords unit as i said plugged into normal skt.

i take it i could run a fused spur to its current location which is near the mcb etc anyway under a bed.

I take it the mains is a radial type system not a ring main??

Would i spur from another socket or direct from box?

thanks for your help

stuart

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Stuart, I have 16th edition electrical cert so I must warn you not to carry out any additions to your system unless you are competent to do so. Electricity is a good servant but bad master!

Lecture over: The system is radial and most vans have 3 to 4 sockets on a single 10A circuit. The fridge and water heater are sometimes on another 10A circuit. You could put either a socket or fused spur for the battery charger to free up the socket you are using at the moment.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Stuart, I have 16th edition electrical cert so I must warn you not to carry out any additions to your system unless you are competent to do so. Electricity is a good servant but bad master!

Lecture over: The system is radial and most vans have 3 to 4 sockets on a single 10A circuit. The fridge and water heater are sometimes on another 10A circuit. You could put either a socket or fused spur for the battery charger to free up the socket you are using at the moment.
Stuart, meant to say you could insert this in the radial circuit no need for a seperate supply. Just ensure you don't overload the radial circuit by drawing more current than the MBCB rating.

Jun 14, 2005
Visit site

Cheers ray, succesful conclusion. Installed Fused spur today which works fine. Done a bit of alrm/immobiliser fitting years ago just unsure of mix of 12v and 240v and caravans.

Thankyou for sharing your knowledge.

happy holidays

stuart

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts