End bed caravan stowage

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Buckman, You should know by now that I don't joke about technical matters.

If you had checked the other threads about measuring nose loads you would know I don't suggest using sticks with bathroom scales. you raise the scales to the required height. And becasue the bathroom scales barely changes its height when loaded it provides a far more consistent result. They also have a more granular scale markings and reduce or even eliminate the parallax errors of trying to read loose fitting sliding pillar.

Please check the other threads for more details.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hello Buckman, You should know by now that I don't joke about technical matters.

If you had checked the other threads about measuring nose loads you would know I don't suggest using sticks with bathroom scales. you raise the scales to the required height. And becasue the bathroom scales barely changes its height when loaded it provides a far more consistent result. They also have a more granular scale markings and reduce or even eliminate the parallax errors of trying to read loose fitting sliding pillar.

Please check the other threads for more details.
Okay so you put the scales on a box and then lower the hitch onto it? :ROFLMAO:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Okay so you put the scales on a box and then lower the hitch onto it? :ROFLMAO:
I'm not sure what game you're playing here Buckman.
You are fully aware of how to measure noseweight on bathroom scales or by using your Milenco gauge.
You were commenting about it all in 2018, and possibly long before that under a different forum username which I'm aware of.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I'm not sure what game you're playing here Buckman.
You are fully aware of how to measure noseweight on bathroom scales or by using your Milenco gauge.
You were commenting about it all in 2018, and possibly long before that under a different forum username which I'm aware of.
I apologise. Thought I was adding a bit of humour on a dull day. I have been aware for sometime that you are aware of my previous username. Just to add that previously I left of my own accord and was not banned etc. :)

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I apologise. Thought I was adding a bit of humour on a dull day. I have been aware for sometime that you are aware of my previous username. Just to add that previously I left of my own accord and was not banned etc. :)
I've been aware of your previous identity since the day that you returned.
It's standard practice for us to check out new members.
I know that you weren't banned, it's not a problem changing your forum username but we check to determine if a person is running two memberships.
Obviously you haven't done that or you wouldn't be here now.
Humour is fine, but the topic of caravan noseweight and its methods of measurement have stirred up lengthy heated forum discussions in the past.
I've no intention in monitoring any future discussion on this topic, life's too short and if such a debate were to result from your injection of humour I'd lose my sense of humour and lock the topic.
We all like a laugh, but don't be a wind up merchant.

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
The majority of caravans with the rear island bed have the bathroom in the middle or over the rear axle. I would think that most caravans with a rear island bed are twin axles however I think there are a few exceptions.
Also most people with a rear island bed will travel with it made up i.e. pillows, blankets, duvets etc which all contribute towards weight at the rear so adding anything under the bed may aggravate the problem unless you can counterbalance by having an awning, etc in the front of the caravan to increase the nose weight.

Sorry but I need to comment...
First many, many end bed caravans are single axle. Weve looked at many, none of them twin axles.

Second I really would not advocate counterbalancing weight at the back by adding weight at the front, this is a recipe for a snaking caravan, weight should be as close to the axle as possible.

There's a nice video I can't find at the moment showing the disastrous effect of loading the front and rear of any trailer.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There's a nice video I can't find at the moment showing the disastrous effect of loading the front and rear of any trailer.
Is this the video your referring to?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFzrWHTG5e8&t=2s

There is no doubt it demonstrates the principle of how yaw inertia affects caravan stability, and the message its sends about avoiding end loading is valid, but the actual demonstration model is not representative of a real car and caravan outfit.

In real life about 80% or more of the caravan total weight is already deployed in the caravans structure and permanent fittings. Generally owners can only add and alter the position of up to about 20% of the caravan total mass, consequently there is no way you could recreate the extreme examples in the video.

Please don't think i'm arguing for end loading, except that as I expressed in an earlier comment there s perhaps more latitude than some comments have suggested.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Our scales are not consistent for some people and it does seem to vary if used in different positions despite them all looking flat. Personally I would rust Milenco more although checking a selection of makes might make an interesting article for the magazine.

I agree the video is an extreme example and would say it is nothing more than a demonstration of the principle.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts