Enough lurking

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
As the title suggests I've been lurking for quite a while and picked up some great information so decided its time to join and hopefully contribute a little.

I'm new to caravanning having bought my first a couple of months ago at the ripe old age of fifty something. Why caravanning? To be completely honest I'm just fed up with the hassle of travelling abroad, waiting around at airports, waiting for shuttles, queuing for check-in, queuing at bagage control, getting ripped of on local tours and being herded round like cattle. Went abroad late last year for the first time since covid and didn't really enjoy it, then earlier this year we stayed in a friend's static which I found much more relaxing. We considered our own static but the overheads after purchase put me off, and being tied to one holiday location doesn't really appeal to me. I quite fancied a motor home but the prices are ridiculous, plus I'd have an extra vehicle to maintain, tax and MOT every year. As I already had a capable tow car a caravan seemed the sensible option to 'dip our toes......'. After travelling several hundred miles looking at different models, and increasing our budget each time we finally dropped on a very clean caravan just 5 miles from home. It's a Lunar Venus so quite a basic model but perfectly adequate for me, the Mrs and our old dog (another reason for caravaning, she can come with us and I don't need to worry about her making a mess or damaging someone elses property ............ the dog, not the Mrs ). Aside from a few bits and pieces (tightening door handles, realigning doors and replacing a couple of bits of internal trim etc.) we've only had one issue. I wasn't comfortable with the way it towed at low speed, especially on uneven roads. It was rock solid at 50-60 mph on the motorway but below 40 I could feel it pushing and pulling the car (1800 kg car and 1175 kg caravan). I towed big green trailers behind big green trucks and landrovers many years ago but being new to caravans I wasn't sure whether this was normal, it just didn't feel right. After a bit of research (googling) I concluded that the hitch damper was to blame. It was quite difficult to push in then instantly came back out. It felt more like a spring than a damper. I replaced it today and adjusted the brakes so hopefully next time out it will feel better (the new damper behaved completely different to the old one when tested off the caravan so it was definitely shot). I ordered the replacement damper from Taunton Trailers on Tuesday and it was delivered on Wednesday at the best price I could find on the Web so I'll be using them for parts in the future.

We've only been away once, a few weeks ago we spent 4 nights at Moorland Farm near Weston-super-Mare. Really enjoyed it, quiet location with wonderful views over one of the two fishing lakes and lovely friendly people running it. I haven't fished for over 40 years but I really felt the urge to have a go, I'm planning on going back next year with some fishing gear. Our plan is to stick to CLs and smaller sites, if they're all as good as this one I'll be happy.

Next trip away in a few weeks time if the weather looks reasonable, probably around the Why Vally / Forrest of Dean area. There are a couple of sites we're looking at but I'll be interested in recommendations from forum members.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As the title suggests I've been lurking for quite a while and picked up some great information so decided its time to join and hopefully contribute a little.

I'm new to caravanning having bought my first a couple of months ago at the ripe old age of fifty something. Why caravanning? To be completely honest I'm just fed up with the hassle of travelling abroad, waiting around at airports, waiting for shuttles, queuing for check-in, queuing at bagage control, getting ripped of on local tours and being herded round like cattle. Went abroad late last year for the first time since covid and didn't really enjoy it, then earlier this year we stayed in a friend's static which I found much more relaxing. We considered our own static but the overheads after purchase put me off, and being tied to one holiday location doesn't really appeal to me. I quite fancied a motor home but the prices are ridiculous, plus I'd have an extra vehicle to maintain, tax and MOT every year. As I already had a capable tow car a caravan seemed the sensible option to 'dip our toes......'. After travelling several hundred miles looking at different models, and increasing our budget each time we finally dropped on a very clean caravan just 5 miles from home. It's a Lunar Venus so quite a basic model but perfectly adequate for me, the Mrs and our old dog (another reason for caravaning, she can come with us and I don't need to worry about her making a mess or damaging someone elses property ............ the dog, not the Mrs ). Aside from a few bits and pieces (tightening door handles, realigning doors and replacing a couple of bits of internal trim etc.) we've only had one issue. I wasn't comfortable with the way it towed at low speed, especially on uneven roads. It was rock solid at 50-60 mph on the motorway but below 40 I could feel it pushing and pulling the car (1800 kg car and 1175 kg caravan). I towed big green trailers behind big green trucks and landrovers many years ago but being new to caravans I wasn't sure whether this was normal, it just didn't feel right. After a bit of research (googling) I concluded that the hitch damper was to blame. It was quite difficult to push in then instantly came back out. It felt more like a spring than a damper. I replaced it today and adjusted the brakes so hopefully next time out it will feel better (the new damper behaved completely different to the old one when tested off the caravan so it was definitely shot). I ordered the replacement damper from Taunton Trailers on Tuesday and it was delivered on Wednesday at the best price I could find on the Web so I'll be using them for parts in the future.

We've only been away once, a few weeks ago we spent 4 nights at Moorland Farm near Weston-super-Mare. Really enjoyed it, quiet location with wonderful views over one of the two fishing lakes and lovely friendly people running it. I haven't fished for over 40 years but I really felt the urge to have a go, I'm planning on going back next year with some fishing gear. Our plan is to stick to CLs and smaller sites, if they're all as good as this one I'll be happy.

Next trip away in a few weeks time if the weather looks reasonable, probably around the Why Vally / Forrest of Dean area. There are a couple of sites we're looking at but I'll be interested in recommendations from forum members.
Welcome to the Forum and your Interesting write up. In the FoD we used Camping in the Forest Bracelands. Great trails from the campsite and lovely countryside. C&CC members get discount. I’ve even taken my tent there too. IMG_2212.jpeg

Reactions: Beardy
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If you join the CAMC that opens a whole new world of CLs on farmer's fields. They cater for a maximum of 5 caravans or units. Most have EHU hookups and there are always facilities for water, waste water and the obligatory ELSAN point. Most are priced around the £18 mark on average. There are a number in the Wye Valley / Forest of Dean. Across the river is Passage Farm with fully serviced pitches and also West End Farm.

Reactions: Dustydog and Beardy
Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
If you join the CAMC that opens a whole new world of CLs on farmer's fields. They cater for a maximum of 5 caravans or units. Most have EHU hookups and there are always facilities for water, waste water and the obligatory ELSAN point. Most are priced around the £18 mark on average. There are a number in the Wye Valley / Forest of Dean. Across the river is Passage Farm with fully serviced pitches and also West End Farm.
Hi Buckman. I joined CMAC as soon as I got the van so that I could use the CLs. I'll take a look at the sites you mentioned, thanks.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
BTW another nice site with fully serviced pitches in that area is Moorend Farm. If staying at either on a nice day we would drive up towards Gloucester swing left to cross River Severn and then meander down the road towards Chepstow and then crossing the Seven bridge to travel back to either campsite. A pleasant day out.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum Beardy. Well,done sussing out the CLs. We probably use them 80% of the time these days, especially those with Fully Serviced Pitches

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Great first post.
We bought caravan as gave more flexibility with accomandation. Better locations are typically regional parks and we are over tenting. Biggest hassle with tenting is cooking, with caravan there is nice self contained kitchen which is always warm and dry. Plus handy bathroom for those middle of night trips.

Motels etc need to book in advance and normally stuck in town. Also tend to eat out which makes for expensive holiday.

Reactions: Beardy and Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Great first post.
We bought caravan as gave more flexibility with accomandation. Better locations are typically regional parks and we are over tenting. Biggest hassle with tenting is cooking, with caravan there is nice self contained kitchen which is always warm and dry. Plus handy bathroom for those middle of night trips.

Motels etc need to book in advance and normally stuck in town. Also tend to eat out which makes for expensive holiday.
We find that after selling the caravan you have to start thinking about your plans much further ahead, like months not weeks. Also a van for two is rarely replicated if you want self catering accommodation. So you find yourself with two or three bedroom accommodation, which can work out quite pricey. Also deposits and final payment are higher and more in advance than most caravan sites we used. I’m currently planning a holiday in Scotland with an overnight stop around Penrith. So I looked at Travelodge who will take dogs. £119 for a room without breakfast next June. Blooming Nora !!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our main reason for buying a caravan was because finding accommodation when you have dogs was very pricy and the rooms normally not in a suitable location in the building. Second was the weather in the UK. Using a tent in South Africa was never a problem although many times we simply slept under the stars.

One amusing incident although it wasn't at the time is that we had been walking through the bush all day and needed to bivvy up for the night. We found what looked like a clearing and settled in for the night.

We got rudely woken up by a very loud noise which happened to be elephants trumpeting and they were very close. Needless to say we slithered off very quickly into the bushes to watch several or more elephants walking where we had been sleeping. It then dawned on us that we had been sleeping on their track to their watering hole or river. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Our main reason for buying a caravan was because finding accommodation when you have dogs was very pricy and the rooms normally not in a suitable location in the building. Second was the weather in the UK. Using a tent in South Africa was never a problem although many times we simply slept under the stars.

One amusing incident although it wasn't at the time is that we had been walking through the bush all day and needed to bivvy up for the night. We found what looked like a clearing and settled in for the night.

We got rudely woken up by a very loud noise which happened to be elephants trumpeting and they were very close. Needless to say we slithered off very quickly into the bushes to watch several or more elephants walking where we had been sleeping. It then dawned on us that we had been sleeping on their track to their watering hole or river. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
What about those slithering Mamba things??

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
What about those slithering Mamba things??
Except for the Gaboon viper and boomslang snakes were never an issue. They heard you coming and generally got out to the way. They viper like the puff adder would lie there in the path and you had to hack your way around them.

The boomslang as it blended in with the branches you simply did not see them, but luckily most of the time they got out of the way so very few people got bitten by them and luckily it took the poison. The antidote needed to be collected from Johannesburg over a 1000 miles away.

Having said that it was no unknown for a deadly poisonous snake to sneak into a sleeping bag during the night for the warmth without the occupant waking up. Not very nice for the occupant and they needed to lie very still when they woke up and realised there was a snake in their sleeping bag.

Reminds me of an incident with ex-MIL. Their home had an outside toilet which was basically a long drop. Off she toddles to the loo. A few minutes later we hear this terrible scream and MIL comes hobbling out of loo with her panties down around her ankles. I never knew anyone could run that fast with restriction around their ankles. On checking there was black mamba in the roof of the toilet. Lots of banging chased it away as we did not believe in killing any snake.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

We once got shocked by Elephants. We were on the Severn Valley railway. And were shocked to see Elephants across the fields. Took a few seconds to realise it was the West Midlands Safari Park.

John

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have found out that if I put out rubbish bins on a Wednesday morning it scares the Elephants away. Never seen them here in Milton Keynes.
But Royal Leamington Spa, might be a different thing as they have an Elephant walk to the river.
Why is that. ??

Reactions: Jcloughie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts