Epson Printer Cartridges

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
I have an Epson SX 425 printer and it requires new ink cartridges. I have always bought the correct Epson cartridges at great expense. Has anyone tried the much cheaper compatable cartridges of other manufactures for this printer to give accepable results.
Thanks

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I use an old Lexmark printer and use Catridge World to re-fill the original cartrige for £8 instead of over £30 for the genuine article.
I don't know about the Epson but I should imagine that the technology is very similar.
I tried a cheap replacement from E-bay but the printer wouldn't operate because there's a micro chip which stops you using anything but the manufacturers cartridge. With the re-fill I get the 'replace cartridge' error message but the printer still works ok. I'm going to have to buy a new original soon because the refill this time shows green ink instead of black so it's on it's last legs after 7 years of refills.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Lennie said:
I have an Epson SX 425 printer and it requires new ink cartridges. I have always bought the correct Epson cartridges at great expense. Has anyone tried the much cheaper compatable cartridges of other manufactures for this printer to give accepable results.
Thanks
hi Lennie,
to be brutally honest I would carry on using the correct cartridges if the printer is a good one, some of the replacment ones are not that good yes they work (sort of) but not to the correct spec for the machine, some functions will not work, ie refilled ones allways show the low ink levels, remanufactured ones dont use the same ink! so the consistancy will be different, and they can harm the machine,
I am on my 3rd printer, first one a lexmark was brilliant and very cheap untill the cartridge was empty the cost of a new one was more than the cost of a new printer, so I bought cheap replacements after fitting the printer shut down and would not restart, so it went into the skip.
second one a brother all in one "quite an expensive machine" used 4 cartridges of different colours each one was £10 each, again I sought a cheaper alternative and bought a refill pack, 4 weeks later the printer packed in, the print head had burned out due to the ink not being thick enough and had run all over the inside of the machine, skip no 2,
the one I have now is a HP 4500 series, and gets only genuine caridges it never lets me down and when the black runs low the program switches to mixed colour grey scale automatically something it would not do with a replacement cardridge,
it up to you but for my money somethings are not worth scrimping on printer cartridges is one of them.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Lennie said:
Thanks
We have an Epson and found it to be false economy buying refills. We have tried both sites suggested and on each occasion had to send back one or two of the cartridges. We now only buy original and although they cost a lot more, they seem to last longer than the refills and give a better quality print.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I had in mind the balance between printer original cost and the cost of subsequent inks.

If I had expensive printers then I certainly endorse Colin and Surfer's view.

However our four year old HP Deskjet cost £28.00 brand new when we were in Devon sorting out my dad's estate.
Original HP inks cost nearly as much as the printer did!!
smiley-surprised.gif

So on an old banger printer there is a train of thought that says maybe there is some merit in chucking the printer and buying a newer model which comes with inks
smiley-undecided.gif

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi DD, that last statment may well be true, many of the cheaper printers do seem to use the most expensive cartridges, funny that!!
while shopping for my 3rd printer i made sure the cartridges were affordable ok so the printer was £80 instead of £30 but the genuine replacements are only £12 for the pair or £15 for the extra capacity ones,(Asda) I use 2sets per year and the printer is now 3years old so I think i'm in front,

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Martin24 said:
Has anyone solved the problem of refilling the paper in wireless printers without having to get up and go to the printer??

I tried sending the dogs but they kept leaving footprints
smiley-laughing.gif

Dec 12, 2007
Visit site
Hi Lennie, I can reccomend Ink Express based in Wolverhapton but they post out the epson compatibles are very good quality and a lot cheaper they are online or you can phone them on 01902307111

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have used the own brand ones from Curries and Tesco, they appear to be the same, and have had very little trouble but when we did Curries did change a faulty one without question.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I've got an Epson DX8450 and never use Epson replacement cartridges,I use ASDA replacement carts.
However beware websites selling replacement cartidges,I found out that although a lot cheaoer you get less than 50% ink.( 6mL against 13 mL)

TRENDING THREADS