Essential Starter Kit

Aug 3, 2008
Visit site
Hello all just about to order a brand new caravan for the first time and completly new to caravanning also, therefore thought I would ask all you professionals what's the essential kit that I will need to buy before starting out on my first trip!

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
I'm one for lists (bit of a control freak!) so here is mine from when we bought our first caravan last year.

Water Carrier

Waste Water Carrier

Electric Hook Up Lead (25m)

Gas Bottle (7KG) and Spanner

Hitch Lock & Wheel Clamp (essential requirement for most insurers)

Steps

Corner Steady Winder

Leisure Battery (110amp if having a motor mover)

Toilet Chemicals

Water Pump

Levelling Ramps & Wheel Chocks and blocks for under legs

Spirit Level

Small Tool Kit

Sleeping Bags or Quilts

Pillows

Melamine Crockery

Plastic Glasses

Cutlery & Sharp Knives

Scissors

Saucepans

Baking Trays

Kettle & Toaster

Tin Opener & Corkscrew

Salt & Pepper Pots

TV

Tea Towels

Dustpan & Brush

First Aid Kit

Awning & Groundsheet

Mallet

Some of these things you'll get with a new van - think that they have to give you the EHU lead, step and corner winder but make sure that you ask what's thrown in before you buy them. With some careful bartering, you might get lots of the other items too.

We prefer to keep bedding etc in the caravan over the season but you could, of course, just take your quilts and pillows from home. We bought some new items for home and put our old things in the caravan. Check oven size when buying bakeware and be aware that storage space for pans etc is often very limited.

There will be lots of things I've missed but this was just my starting point. I've still got a wishlist of about 20 items that we'll slowly acquire as finances permit! Gas barbeque is top of the list but we're making do with our old folding camping one for now.

Hope this helps.

PS Forgot to add - many bottles of wine!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts