eternabond roof sealer

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
I need to seal the joint across my roof. I have already paid a small fortune to two seperate "professionals" but the leak persists.
This stuff comes highly recommended by a motor home owner I know
http://www.eternabond.com/RoofSeal-p/ho-rs.htm

Has anybody used it and comment on how effective it is?

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
hi Brandon

please can you tell me what van you have and also where the joint is?

first off a 'professional' repair place should offer 12 months warranty for any works

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
My caravan is an ABI Award Northstar.

The roof is in 3 sections - A higher level rear section (one Part) and a front section in two parts. The joint is the one across the width of the caravan separating the higher rear section from the two front sections.
The joint has been resealed using some sort of black mastic or other compound. The joint has screws the heads of which sit proud of the roof surface.

I am thinking a 4" wide flexible tape that covers all might be a better bet than trying to reseal with compound.

Also, I am advised by the experts never to go up on the roof (I am 15½ stone). I need some type of gantry or scaffold. Can any body offer some advice about this.

Thanks for replies.

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
Brendan,

Covering the entire section will not resolve the issue. Have you got damp on the inside?

regarding getting to the top. the best way is to higher scaffolding have this built ever side of the van and use scaffold board to get the the section you need. Pain i no.

if you have damp on the inside you will need to strip out and dry out all the damp. it may be the case that the leak is fixed but the if the damp has no where to go it just sits rotting the wood and courses spongy areas.

let me know if you have damp and we can go from there

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Yes. I have damp and the locations indicate that that the roof joint is causing the problem. I want to stop the water coming in first before I tackle the dampness.
The eternabond has prooved successful for a number of camper van owners that I am aware of..

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Brendon. I am no expert on this job I can only recommend what was recommended to me and that is Sikaflex I am assured this is the sealant used by the techies on here .Now as you were advised and its a laborious job but you must remove all of the old sealant,It was recommended to me to use a plastic scraper to get the thick of the old sealant off and use white spirit to shift what is left followed by Methylated Spirits to get rid of the residue.
I hope this has been of some help to you. By the way the Sikaflex has Caravan on the tube make sure if you use this to check the date on the tube as well .
Sir Roger .

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies and apologies for the tardy response.

I resealed with Tec7, allowed it to set and covered entire joint with Eternabond tape.

That Eternabond is seriously strong stuff. I gently placed a small off cut out of the way on the scaffold. It took all my strength to remove it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts