Euro Tunnel

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone,

It
maybe old news to most of you but I have just found out that any
vehicle that has an LPG system fitted cannot travel on the Euro Tunnel
Train !!
I have just come back from a trip to the New Forest near Ringwood, with our first caravan which I must admit went without a "Hitch". ( Pardon the pun ! )
The
only thing was I hadn't realised how much extra fuel I would use even
though I was told that I would notice the difference once towing a
caravan. Hence the LPG conversion which would help keep the cost down
when taking our next trip over to Germany.
My Question now relates to having to travel by boat.
As the trip over the sea may be a little more unpredictable weather wise. Would it be an idea to put the stabiliser legs down on the caravan while on the boat to help keep movement down to a minimum ??
Plus it would be handy to hear from you more experienced chaps & chapesses out there, of some other precautions to take while having to take the more teadiest of trip across the sea by boat !!
Look forward to your help in this matter.
Regards,
Smokey.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I've had some rough crossings where the passengers were almost unable to walk around the ship, but the cars and vans were okay and I did not see anyone winding their steadies down. I suspect if that was required all passengers would be at their lifeboat muster stations with life vests donned!!

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for your reply. I wasn't sure how rough a crossing would have to be to effect the stability of a caravan.

A few years back I was on a ferry which was mentioned in the papers where people had been injured due to such rough conditions & being thrown about. Even with the slam gate at the front of the boat lowered to break the waves & stopping the front of the boat dropping below the water level, a lorry broke loose ending up with its trailer on its side on top of some cars !! But I guess if that was the case I don't think 4 stabiliser legs would have much effect anyway, "ha ha". Thanks again.

Smokey.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I wouldn't drop the steadies, but I do drop the nose wheel and wind it down so it is taking some of the hitch weight. This will stop the back of the car bouncing in bad weather which may - depending on type - overheat the shock absorbers. Also put the caravan hand brake on - remembering to take both off before leaving the ferry !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There will be some Board of Trade (or equivelent) regulations concerning ferries using UK ports. I dont know if these will have any regs conserning the securing of vehicles, but if not it will be down to each indivivdual ferry company. In which case their rules may be unique. I suggest you ccontact the ferry companies first hand.

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
OK thanks. I will look into the regulations of the P&O Ferry. Plus good idea about dropping nose wheel & hand break, makes sense. Ta.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We just took the ferry, not very rough but put the handbrake on. Iwas worried that we would forget to take it off so wrote myself a note and left it on the dasboard!
mel

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Yes I guess I'm worrying over nothing.

Not having towed a caravan before, ( although I have towed trailers ), I was concerned about going on our first trip away last week. But after stopping at the Fleet Services on the M3 & having to reverse around a parked Motor home & then into a space between 2 lorries ( which I managed to do in one complete move, believe it or not ! ) .......... well almost. I did have to pull forward a bit as I had stopped about 3 foot away from the lorry behind, which was a little too close. Although I did get the thumbs up from one of the lorry drivers. BUT my worries about getting around with the caravan disappeared completely. So once I get on & off a ferry for the first time, i'll think, " what was all the fuss about ?"

Your right. Just get on with it & enjoy the holiday. Yet another good bit of advice. Thanks.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I would not bother to put the nose wheel down as there is zero chance of overheating shock absorbers. The cyclic movement on a ship even in choppy or rough weather is totally different to the more rapid movement that a car suspension sees on the road. The energy being put into the shocks at sea is far lower. Having been on ships stuffed full of vehicles hitched to trailers and with aircraft too no shock absorber issues ever arose even with the Captains wife's Mini!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We took the Plymouth Santander ferry on a day that the weather was so bad they had to keep back the ferry for an hour as it was too rough to sail although they did not tell us at the time. The caravan did not have its legs down and was fine although on reflection I think they packed us in less tight than usual. This was with the older ship the Val des Er (Apologies if spelling wrong) than they do use now and it showed. One advantage for people like me is the weather put most people off their food and had restaurant to myself.
Have also had a bad storm on crossing from Caen and again no problem for caravan but it was full of school children bringing back chips and chocolate that they bought before we hit the sea.

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Well I guess I will just go with the flow. Thanks to everyone who has helped answer a few questions & I wish you all well.

Regards,

Smokey.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
i'm not sure if putting the wheel down on the front of a caravan is a good idea and could do damage the cars suspension can still travel upwards if indeed it is a bumpy ride the cars front suspension will still move as will the caravans but the normal action of suspension parts will be effected by the car being hitched to a caravan which has its wheel down....

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
Dont worry about it , I have been dozens of times without difficulty. Do turn your alarm off though and I uncouple my cable just in case a fault in the van drained my battery but probably not necesary. When being loaded onto the ferry I wait until the van in front has reached the top of the ramp as these can be quite steep and occasionaly wet before moving , I also watch out for jaywalking crew whom I have seen cause a van to stop on the slope and have my hand over the horn ready.On the deck dont assume that the crew member guiding you forward is watching out for your van and its proximity to overhead structures.
David

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Good point about unplugging the electrics. As for leaving hand brake on after the crossing, suggest you always do a walk-round inspection of the entire outfit before driving off - check door and lockers are still locked, windows closed etc. and that no damage has occurred. If not happy call one of the crew and point out any damage etc. there and then.

Never happened to me (touch wood) but have seen it with others.

Also a good point about not trusting the crew to watch your van against high projections. They usually just look at the front of the car and try to hustle you off. Extent your towing mirros as soon as safe to do so.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts