Euroipean travel insurance

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Hi

Im taking my caravan to france this year for the first time, So I will need breakdown insurance and personal insurance for the family, can any one reccomend where to get the insurance from

Many thanks

Phil

Jul 6, 2007
Visit site
I have always bought,but never had to use thankfully,the Caravan Clubs Red Pennant Insurance.I know it is more expensive than some of its rivals, but I have been witness to arguements on sites between van owners and repair/recovery agents as to what they thought they were covered for, but turned out not to be.One guy had to pay up front for a recovery of car and van from Nice to Calais and then claim the money back-hopefully!In the end it is your choice, but check and double check the small print-after all you are on holiday and do not need the grief,(plus an ear bashing from she who must be obeyed).

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
Many years ago I was involved in a crash in Italy. Injury wise it was minor but two cars (one was mine) and my caravan were written off.

I was insured with Red Pennant and couldn't fault the service.

I also had a green card (car), caravan insurance and travel/sickness/personal injury etc insurance. All the repatriation was undertaken by subcontracting companies. In those days vehicles had to be brought back to the UK fo tax reasons.

However the bills were settled by all four companies and the Caravan Club's(CC) liabilities comparatively minimal but they were the most expensive to buy.

The biggest advantage is peace of mind but it's expensive and I feel that the CC might be taking advantage of it's monopoly.

I don't know who would pick up the bills if it had been a serious accident with a lot of injury and expensive repatriation.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Beware of Carefree breakdown cover through the Camping and Caravanning club. They do not provide hire cars with tow bars or supply any means of getting you to your intended destination as we found to our cost 2 years ago when the head gasket went on the car on our first day some 200 miles south of Calais. We spent a miserable 2 weeks with a hire car stranded on a small site in an uninspiring part of France. Its Red Pennant for me regardless of the cost

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts