European Breakdown Cover

K91

Jul 16, 2006
Visit site
I use ADAC (German AA) which covers car and caravan in UK and Europe and I tow a Bailey twin axle Wyoming.

As long as the axles are no more 1mtr apart your trailer or caravan are treated as single axle for recovery with ADAC. You can join online and they are cheaper than the AA (98 Euro for partner package last year). Home start, European breakdown and recovery for my wife and I travelling in any vehicle. In fact my daughter broke down the other day (in the UK) and because my wife was in the car ADAC sent the AA to rescue them.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
I use ADAC (German AA) which covers car and caravan in UK and Europe and I tow a Bailey twin axle Wyoming.

As long as the axles are no more 1mtr apart your trailer or caravan are treated as single axle for recovery with ADAC. You can join online and they are cheaper than the AA (98 Euro for partner package last year). Home start, European breakdown and recovery for my wife and I travelling in any vehicle. In fact my daughter broke down the other day (in the UK) and because my wife was in the car ADAC sent the AA to rescue them.
Thanks Keith for your reply. I ment to make a comment and put it in reply to topic instead.

We have an Eldiss Crusader Storm which is 8 metres and most companies will not take on a van this length such as Green Flag,AA and RAC the later will if you are a C&CC member (which we aren't)but if you add the membership in for that club the cost is only

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have always used the Caravan Club's Red Pennant cover. You may consider it expensive but I have yet to hear of any adverse comments regarding the service.

Jul 1, 2005
Visit site
We are also ADAC members, infact have just renewed my membership for this year. One of the easiest ways to join is to phone the information line 0049 180 5 10 11 12 the operators speak excellent english, You can arrange membership over the phone, they even let you know your membership number. About a week later you recieve your membership card with with a request for payment. They dont take Credit Cards over the phone,but they do accept them if you join up at one of there many offices throughout Germany. You could send euros through the post or arrange an international bank transfer from your bank to the ADAC bank. Dont let this put you off, they are a superb organisation with 16 million members,a unlike our AA/RAC who are now really just insurance companies,ADAC is still a motoring organisation a members club in every sense, not owned by anyone else.And yes they do like caravans and caravanners who are a welcomed section of ADAC membership. So, what do you get for your money?, ADAC PlusMembership covers your outfit a passengers,breakdowns,accidents,towing,hire car,emergency accomodation,repatriation of outfit a passengers back to UK and much much more. One big bonus with ADAC is that membership covers Air Ambulance repatriation back to UK which covers you WORLD WIDE. In fact last year i took out World Wide medical cover with them for just 15 euros for me a the wife for the year. Ive checked, its fully comprehensive a was recommended by our German friends. It certainly reminded me how we seem to be ripped off when it comes to travel insurance premiums here in the UK. Hope this helps.

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
We are also ADAC members, infact have just renewed my membership for this year. One of the easiest ways to join is to phone the information line 0049 180 5 10 11 12 the operators speak excellent english, You can arrange membership over the phone, they even let you know your membership number. About a week later you recieve your membership card with with a request for payment. They dont take Credit Cards over the phone,but they do accept them if you join up at one of there many offices throughout Germany. You could send euros through the post or arrange an international bank transfer from your bank to the ADAC bank. Dont let this put you off, they are a superb organisation with 16 million members,a unlike our AA/RAC who are now really just insurance companies,ADAC is still a motoring organisation a members club in every sense, not owned by anyone else.And yes they do like caravans and caravanners who are a welcomed section of ADAC membership. So, what do you get for your money?, ADAC PlusMembership covers your outfit a passengers,breakdowns,accidents,towing,hire car,emergency accomodation,repatriation of outfit a passengers back to UK and much much more. One big bonus with ADAC is that membership covers Air Ambulance repatriation back to UK which covers you WORLD WIDE. In fact last year i took out World Wide medical cover with them for just 15 euros for me a the wife for the year. Ive checked, its fully comprehensive a was recommended by our German friends. It certainly reminded me how we seem to be ripped off when it comes to travel insurance premiums here in the UK. Hope this helps.
Hi Jonathan this breakdown cover looks just right for me, can you tell me do they have a limit on how long you can be away for in England or on the Continent, some companies only cover you for 90 consecutive Day.

Thanks,

Gren.

Jul 1, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jonathan this breakdown cover looks just right for me, can you tell me do they have a limit on how long you can be away for in England or on the Continent, some companies only cover you for 90 consecutive Day.

Thanks,

Gren.
Hi Gren, in answer to your question, no ADAC dont have any limits regarding how long you are touring for. The Germans seem to take a much more intelligent view of travel insurance than our companies,You pay your ADAC Plusmembership a you are then covered throughout europe for the year, they just dont question if you are travelling for two weeks or several months. You dont even have to register your outfit details it is personal membership so you could even call them out if you were a passenger in a car in the middle of France that had broken down for example. Our German friends are so surprised that we in the UK have to pay so much to top up our breakdown a insurance cover just to cross the channel, they dont have to do this when visiting the UK,their normal car insurance certificate is in fact a europe wide 'Green Card', fully comp cover valid for the full year throughout europe. Simple really. If you have any other queries re ADAC just ask. Cheers Jonathan

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks you very much Keith and Jonathan for your help in this matter we were getting frustrated with not being able to get cover for the caravan being over 8 metres and certainly the Red Pennant only people to do it being very expensive. Being retired and the Euro as it is every penny helps. Have discussed it with my other half and will be ringing ADAC tomorrow. Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Sorry I meant to include everyone who replied to my topic it is nice to know there are lots of helpful caravanners about.

Thank you very much.

Jul 1, 2005
Visit site
Thanks you very much Keith and Jonathan for your help in this matter we were getting frustrated with not being able to get cover for the caravan being over 8 metres and certainly the Red Pennant only people to do it being very expensive. Being retired and the Euro as it is every penny helps. Have discussed it with my other half and will be ringing ADAC tomorrow. Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers
Hi Dianne,just had a quick look at my ADAC Assistance booklet, Caravans are covered up to 10m in length, although all correspondence is in German its fairly easy to work through,in the assistance booklet it gives the main european emergency number at ADAC HQ in Munchen plus the numbers of their own emergency centres in in various european countries which include the UK. If you do decide to join a need any help with whats what just let me know,Dianne may i be so bold as to ask that if you do join would you be willing to give them my memb num,which i would e mail to you,as i might get a freebie gift from ADAC. Cheers Jonathan.

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
Johnathan / keith I have read your posts with interest & visited the ADAC site but cannot find the infomaton i'm loking for.

Most breakdown services cover the van when it is attached to the car, but if a problem with the van prevents the van from being towed repatriation of the van alone is not covered also problems with the van seperate from the car is not usually covered.I wonder if you can inform me whether ADAC operate in the same way

Thanks TD

Jul 1, 2005
Visit site
Johnathan / keith I have read your posts with interest & visited the ADAC site but cannot find the infomaton i'm loking for.

Most breakdown services cover the van when it is attached to the car, but if a problem with the van prevents the van from being towed repatriation of the van alone is not covered also problems with the van seperate from the car is not usually covered.I wonder if you can inform me whether ADAC operate in the same way

Thanks TD
Tony,

Just had the ADAC plus membership service booklet out, and got my wife to translate!!

Basically caravans are covered in the membership price along with motorhomes not exceeding nine people. The defining factor is height, width and length, so as long as your caravan does not exceed 3m high, 2.55m wide and 10m long you are OK. In the small print it mentions single axles, so assuming they don't like big, twin-axle jobs! They will cover these super large vans, but without the benefit of pick up, transportation or repairs.

So reading between the lines, if your van is normal sized, with a single axle all is well, and the cover is for van whether attached to the car or not.

I certainly remember seeing ADAC transporters recovering caravans which had been involved in accidents.

A quick phone call to the information line at ADAC is always worthwhile - there is always someone who speaks English available and they are very helpful. The number is 0049 1805101112.

Jul 1, 2005
Visit site

Thanks TD
Tony, forgot to add that Keith's post above is quite correct regarding ADAC definition re twin axles that are no more than 1mtr apart,you will receive full recovery anywhere in europe with a twin axle.

Jul 30, 2008
Visit site
Many thanks for all this info. We are touring Poland, Germany & Austria this summer (3 months) and need a "good" european based sevice especially for Poland.

Used to use ADAC when we lived in Denmark in the early 80's along with the Danish FALK and both were excellent - I had forgotten about them until your timely posts.

Will sign up with ADAC prior to our trip

Many thanks

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site

Thanks TD
Keith/Johnathan Many thanks for your reply will try the number

TD

May 14, 2008
Visit site
Re Pauls comment on breakdown services, www.vehicle-rescue.com, has anyone any experience of using this and if so, what are your comments. Looks like a ghood buy unless anyone can tell me different.

TRENDING THREADS