European Carbon Credits Incoming

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I agree your points and would add that when towing with a petrol car its range and refuelling were active considerations. For example my Sorento, XC70 and Superb diesels could all make Penrith without causing any range anxiety. Yet my two petrol Foresters (XE and XT) and Saab 9000 could not complete that journey without a refuel. With the petrol cars a solo mpg of 32-36 mpg would reduce to the low 20s or sometimes lower on a long motorway journey. So top ups were necessary, but on motorways that wasn’t a problem, whereas on A roads it did have to be thought about with sometime with everything crossed that the fuel station was accessible and not closed. I look forward to one day owning an EV as the main car.
The excellent range of my VW Touareg, thanks to its 100 litre tank means I can make Inverness without refueling, despite the low-20s mpg when towing - so I don't really have to plan refuelling at all.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The excellent range of my VW Touareg, thanks to its 100 litre tank means I can make Inverness without refueling, despite the low-20s mpg when towing - so I don't really have to plan refuelling at all.
That’s some tank at 22 gallons. Hope your own is proportional to obviate the need for a stop. 🙈

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Real time was well spotted by the Prof. Nothing to do with towing but a 24/7 workhorse .

Mileages around N Yorks on a daily basis will easily go over 200 miles. So you get home at say 6.00 pm but are on standby for 12 hours for emergencies etc. At 6.00 pm the EV is nearly dead. A very rapid drink is desperate.
My power shower in old house 15 years ago was 11.7 kw , way beyond what has been written so far.
Not sure but the kit being fitted at homes of Engineers like my son may well be 3 phase rapid charge Or some hi tech Single phase. The KW Tobes quotes will not be sufficient in my Son’s case.
I don‘t know the tech details but there is no doubt those in the know are way beyond us lot. A loaded engineers “transit” sized van in darkest icy N Yorks will have to perform. No question of a flat battery. Hence my original enquiry. Will a 3 phase power supply offer a more efficient rapid charge than Single phase?
So a single phase dedicated supply at 100 amps should in theory supply , let’s say at least 23k watts?? But I appreciate there is a time frame for the time the receiving battery can soak in the charge.
I can echo Roger here. Dragging nearly 2 tons of TA from just south of Edinburgh to Wiltshire the Touareg did it on the a tankful. No way an EV could do that.

So in reality where are we as I know two major commercial concerns are going for it👍👍

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Real time was well spotted by the Prof. Nothing to do with towing but a 24/7 workhorse .

Mileages around N Yorks on a daily basis will easily go over 200 miles. So you get home at say 6.00 pm but are on standby for 12 hours for emergencies etc. At 6.00 pm the EV is nearly dead. A very rapid drink is desperate.
My power shower in old house 15 years ago was 11.7 kw , way beyond what has been written so far.
Not sure but the kit being fitted at homes of Engineers like my son may well be 3 phase rapid charge Or some hi tech Single phase. The KW Tobes quotes will not be sufficient in my Son’s case.
I don‘t know the tech details but there is no doubt those in the know are way beyond us lot. A loaded engineers “transit” sized van in darkest icy N Yorks will have to perform. No question of a flat battery. Hence my original enquiry. Will a 3 phase power supply offer a more efficient rapid charge than Single phase?
So a single phase dedicated supply at 100 amps should in theory supply , let’s say at least 23k watts?? But I appreciate there is a time frame for the time the receiving battery can soak in the charge.
I can echo Roger here. Dragging nearly 2 tons of TA from just south of Edinburgh to Wiltshire the Touareg did it on the a tankful. No way an EV could do that.

So in reality where are we as I know two major commercial concerns are going for it👍👍
A single phase charger will typically cap out at 7.3kW in a modern car, and 11kW on three phase. That’s not a limit of AC charging, but of the on board chargers in the car. The AC charging standard allows up to 43kW (3phase at 64A per phase), but the only car that ever deployed that was the the early Renault ZoE.
As far as I know, the only new EVs that can charge at 22kW are the Porsche Taycan and Audi ETron GT.
DC chargers are almost exclusively deployed in public spaces because they are both very expensive (£10ks to £100k) and need very large grid connections or battery balancing banks.
Having said that, an 11kW charger can refill 200 miles of range in my car in about 6 hours. But there is also no reason to always come back empty. There are rapid chargers, even in North Yorkshire, and most engineers need a lunch break. Sticking a car or van on a rapid charger at lunch time can refill you battery to 90% while to get a sandwich and cuppa, and use the loos. Getting home with even 30% would give another 100 miles range inside 3 hours…

If a vehicle has to be available 24/7 with zero down time allowed at all, maybe electric is not the right model. But that’s a pretty rare occurrence.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I reiterate the normal maximum charger for whatever reason on a single phase supply is 7.2kW. It would indeed be a special bespoke piece of kit if a single phase charger was rated any higher than 7.2kW.

They could only fit a three phase system if there is a three phase supply at the property. Generally it is not a simple job to uprate a single phase supply to a three phase supply , again it would be a bespoke arrangement and cost a lot to install, if indeed there is a three phase supply available adjacent to the property.

On the basis that your son's employer is providing the vehicle, and the necessary funds to set up the charging solution, then I hope they have looked carefully at needs of their employees, and are confident in EV's if that is what they are buying.

However , what t is almost certain is that the way batteries are developing, and the charger network expanding, in the not to far future there will be a workable solution to cover your sons needs.

Reactions: Tobes
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I reiterate the normal maximum charger for whatever reason on a single phase supply is 7.2kW. It would indeed be a special bespoke piece of kit if a single phase charger was rated any higher than 7.2kW.

They could only fit a three phase system if there is a three phase supply at the property. Generally it is not a simple job to uprate a single phase supply to a three phase supply , again it would be a bespoke arrangement and cost a lot to install, if indeed there is a three phase supply available adjacent to the property.

On the basis that your son's employer is providing the vehicle, and the necessary funds to set up the charging solution, then I hope they have looked carefully at needs of their employees, and are confident in EV's if that is what they are buying.

However , what t is almost certain is that the way batteries are developing, and the charger network expanding, in the not to far future there will be a workable solution to cover your sons needs.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Guys. My Sons car Corporate policy takes absolute precedence All EV by end 2023. As the diesels reach 3 years EV is the only option if I understand correctly it is the vehicles charger rather than the domestic supply that determines the charge rate plus the batteries. Thus I think it is fare to say single phase with a new 100 amp tail to a new consumer unit will be more than adequate for the moment. In fact enough for nearly three units at 7.2kw . Think I’m beginning to understand 😉

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A single phase charger will typically cap out at 7.3kW in a modern car, and 11kW on three phase. That’s not a limit of AC charging, but of the on board chargers in the car. The AC charging standard allows up to 43kW (3phase at 64A per phase), but the only car that ever deployed that was the the early Renault ZoE.
As far as I know, the only new EVs that can charge at 22kW are the Porsche Taycan and Audi ETron GT.
DC chargers are almost exclusively deployed in public spaces because they are both very expensive (£10ks to £100k) and need very large grid connections or battery balancing banks.
Having said that, an 11kW charger can refill 200 miles of range in my car in about 6 hours. But there is also no reason to always come back empty. There are rapid chargers, even in North Yorkshire, and most engineers need a lunch break. Sticking a car or van on a rapid charger at lunch time can refill you battery to 90% while to get a sandwich and cuppa, and use the loos. Getting home with even 30% would give another 100 miles range inside 3 hours…

If a vehicle has to be available 24/7 with zero down time allowed at all, maybe electric is not the right model. But that’s a pretty rare occurrence.
In our area BG vans have been using the chargers at Lidl for quite a while. There are loos in the shop and food if the driver requires, so I assume that they fit the charging in with the natural breaks that they would have anyway

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Guys. My Sons car Corporate policy takes absolute precedence All EV by end 2023. As the diesels reach 3 years EV is the only option if I understand correctly it is the vehicles charger rather than the domestic supply that determines the charge rate plus the batteries. Thus I think it is fare to say single phase with a new 100 amp tail to a new consumer unit will be more than adequate for the moment. In fact enough for nearly three units at 7.2kw . Think I’m beginning to understand 😉
Most corporate policies now have electrification as a requirement. My grandson's was PHEV or EV, my daughter's NHS lease car had to be SC, PHEV or EV. Mild hybrids were not acceptable. I really think that even before 2030 the choice of having an ICE will be very limited. but well before then EV and PHEV will be further improved and prices will drop in real terms especially given the introduction of the Chinese makes such as BYD, MG, Ora, and others where prices are keen and good warranties being offered.

Reactions: Tobes
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
... if I understand correctly it is the vehicles charger rather than the domestic supply that determines the charge rate plus the batteries. Thus I think it is fare to say single phase with a new 100 amp tail to a new consumer unit will be more than adequate for the moment. In fact enough for nearly three units at 7.2kw . Think I’m beginning to understand 😉
You cannot draw more power from the mains connection than it can supply . The EV connection point will be set to limit the power it can deliver so as not to exceed the mains cablings capability.

You cannot connect more than one charger to an EV at a time, so it's pointless trying to fit more than one charge point per vehicle.

The maximum amount of230Vac AC power an EV can accept will be limited by the size of the 230V ac to DC charger fitted in the vehicle. However the present level of charge on the battery will affect the the mount of power taken from the mains. The rate at which the battery will accept charge is dependant on how much charge it already has stored, the higher the state of charge the lower the rate of charging will be, this is one reason why in many EV's its recommended to only use a fast charger between 20 and 80% of battery capacity, and only go for 100% on overnight domestic charging when connection time isn't a concern.

You might find this youtube video helpfull. By the way don't be fooled by the headline!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR-xt3XlImw

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Yes. If they are installing a new tail from the road, then 3phase vs single phase is very little cost difference. 3 phase 22kW would be the way to go, as it gives you future proofing for a 22kW (vs 11kW or 7.2kW) supply today.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Yes. If they are installing a new tail from the road, then 3phase vs single phase is very little cost difference. 3 phase 22kW would be the way to go, as it gives you future proofing for a 22kW (vs 11kW or 7.2kW) supply today.
Tobes, Doesn’t single phase 100 amp supply give me 23k watts? But Inappreciate irrelevant at the moment due to the cars ability to only take on7.2 kw at present.
Great video Prof👍

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tobes, Doesn’t single phase 100 amp supply give me 23k watts? But Inappreciate irrelevant at the moment due to the cars ability to only take on7.2 kw at present.
Great video Prof👍
You seem to have got hung up on the 100A supply. Yes in theory i f you could load it fully, you could draw a total 23kW, but I'ts bad practice to fully load the conductors for any sustained length of time, They have that capacity to cope with surges, for example when you turn on motorised devices the start up can draw more than their constant current rating, so you need some head room in the system.

As things stand at the moment, you will not get an EV charge connection in a single phase 230Vac supply that exceeds 7.2kW

If your son needs a more powerful home charging solution, his employer is going to have to work something else out for him.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Great video Prof👍
It does, but a domestic single phase Charing point will only ever deliver 7.2kW (32A current limited). Installing one is also subject to DNO approval to be sure your local facility can support it. Installing a second would be subject to additional approval, but will charge 2 vehicles, not one twice as quickly.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
You seem to have got hung up on the 100A supply. Yes in theory i f you could load it fully, you could draw a total 23kW, but I'ts bad practice to fully load the conductors for any sustained length of time, They have that capacity to cope with surges, for example when you turn on motorised devices the start up can draw more than their constant current rating, so you need some head room in the system.

As things stand at the moment, you will not get an EV charge connection in a single phase 230Vac supply that exceeds 7.2kW

If your son needs a more powerful home charging solution, his employer is going to have to work something else out for him.
Which could be a three phase supply if a new supply and meter are already being dug and commissioned, but that will cap out at 22kW and the vehicle will likely only support 11kW.
BTW - the maxim charging speed is easily looked up at https://ev-database.uk/#sort:path~t...t=60~260|paging:currentPage=0|paging:number=9

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts