European Road Signs

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Hi Travelling to Europe soon. Does anyone know of a chart or booklet one can buy showing road signs and what they mean? Mainly Germany, Belguim and France. A booklet or A4 size chart perhaps. even one for each country? Thanks.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
They are very simalar to ours if not the same, although there are some odd ones used that have no equivalent here. A good road atlas will have a section on signs. This Wikipedia link shows each country so just click on the country to see its signs and print if required.

Comparison_of_European_road_signs

Reactions: Grey13
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi Travelling to Europe soon. Does anyone know of a chart or booklet one can buy showing road signs and what they mean? Mainly Germany, Belguim and France. A booklet or A4 size chart perhaps. even one for each country? Thanks.
I just googled ‘European road signs’.

Loads of info. Here is one.

I also think that the AA, RAC, and the clubs have loads of info even for non members.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Already saw that but none actually sell a booklet or chart of sorts that you can order and carry with you as far as I can see.
Cannot you look at the Wikipedia link for the respective countries that you will visit and print off the relevant pages for your own "booklet"?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
To be honest Grey, it is quite straightforward driving in Europe, just don't get trapped in the way of any Tramways, as I did. Tram Honking it's horn as I was blocking it, then a very loud crunch as two French cars collided whilst they laughed at my predicament, allowing me to drive away with the van unscaled.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
You are perceiving a problem that doesn't exist, European Road signs are, for the vast majority, the same as the UK (or rather the other way around) . Those that are not are pretty easy to interpret.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If it’s Grey’s first European road trip then I can understand his need to inform himself on things such as road signs, and probably caravan speed- weight limits, variations of lighting laws, effect of weather on speed limits etc. I found the CMHC touring guides excellent as in addition to the multitude of sites listed, the guide included information on technical aspects, toll roads, legal requirements, gas supplies, electrical standards etc in each country. All good for the pre trip preparations.

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
You are perceiving a problem that doesn't exist, European Road signs are, for the vast majority, the same as the UK (or rather the other way around) . Those that are not are pretty easy to interpret.
Hi Traveled, driven in Europe many times. However got a fine in Italy for going down a restricted road between hours that were banned, printed on the sign, but did not have a clue what that sign was or how to red the message! Preparation is vital! There is a problem! Anyway I think I am well prepared now! Cheers

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
If it’s Grey’s first European road trip then I can understand his need to inform himself on things such as road signs, and probably caravan speed- weight limits, variations of lighting laws, effect of weather on speed limits etc. I found the CMHC touring guides excellent as in addition to the multitude of sites listed, the guide included information on technical aspects, toll roads, legal requirements, gas supplies, electrical standards etc in each country. All good for the pre trip preparations.

The original request concerned road signs, nothing else!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The original request concerned road signs, nothing else!

Many threads open the discourse beyond the original question, and I see nothing wrong with that. If everyone stuck to your approach the Forum would be so boring. In fact after posts 2 and 3 I wonder why anyone else bothered posting. Your post # 8 did not exactly answer Grey’s question did it? So “stones and glass houses” spring to mind.

Reactions: Hutch
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
My biggest problem when first driving in France was giving way to vehicles on the right. Then, while driving on a perfectly straight, long road, a car came out of a side road just in front of me, without a glance.

I also drove in Abbeville. Which I believe was the last town to do away with this ridiculous priority idea. I don't think it exists anywhere, anymore, unless anyone knows differently.

IMG_1341.jpeg

John

Reactions: Grey13 and gnomee
Apr 9, 2022
Visit site
Am I the only person here who remembers travelling the German autobahns as a kid and being doubled up with laughter each time we saw a sign reading "Ausfahrt" ahead of every exit?

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Am I the only person here who remembers travelling the German autobahns as a kid and being doubled up with laughter each time we saw a sign reading "Ausfahrt" ahead of every exit?
At first, I thought it was a place. and it seemed to be signposted everywhere.

Worked it out in the end. I linked it to my needing to ask a little girl to turn the electricity off. Eventually, she said, ah, ausmachen.

John

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
That commonality is important for road safety - drivers don't have time to look up a sign in a booklet!

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I worked in Germany for a long while and would often bring my wife over for a break. We went touring to one German city by train and then walked around the city. My wife asked if I would remember where the train station was and I said yes, I remember the road name and general direction.

When we headed back to the station I couldn't find it in the road I thought it was on. Then discovered there was more than one road with the same name.....

Einbahnstrasse - One way street.

On the other amusing name confusion - Denmark has a Fartplan - basically a travel time table. Mind you those Rollmops :;)

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Even if the signs are the same they could mean different things. The weight load restriction sign, usually before crossing a bridge, can mean the maximum weight of each vehicle or the total weight of a trailer combination, depending on what country one is in. Also no overtaking signs for trucks include cars towing a trailer in some countries, not in others.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
In the UK, and I suspect the rest of Europe any weight restriction applies to the combined weight of any vehicle and trailer it is towing. If it wasn't you could in theory have a towing vehicle just under the restriction towing a trailer just under the restriction, so you would then have nearly twice the weight permitted being applied to the structure! Not a good thing eh?

There is another sort of weight restriction and that applies to an axle loading only. That shows a pictogram of an axle with a weight figure above it as belowv

1689840545501.png

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
In the UK, and I suspect the rest of Europe any weight restriction applies to the combined weight of any vehicle and trailer it is towing. If it wasn't you could in theory have a towing vehicle just under the restriction towing a trailer just under the restriction, so you would then have nearly twice the weight permitted being applied to the structure! Not a good thing eh?

In Germany at least weight restrictions apply to each individual vehicle. A 20 tonne limit, for instance would allow a 20 tonne truck towing a 20 tonne trailer. That's no different to two 20 tonne trucks crossing the bridge at the same time in close succession.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts