European Road Signs

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
So why have a restriction imposed! By your reasoning If I drive a truck grossing at 7.6 tonnes over a bridge with a 7.5 tonne limit I commit an offence but I could drive a truck weighing 7.49 tonnes towing a trailer weighing 7.49 tonnes across the same bridge without committing an offence?
A weight restriction applies to a vehicles Maximum Gross Weight. A Lorry and trailer is, in law, considered a single vehicle (that's why a caravan is covered for third party risks while it's attached to its towcar)

I would be grateful for a link that supports your assertion as I am always happy to increase my knowledge base, and likewise happy to be proven wrong (If I am that is)

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
A Lorry and trailer is, in law, considered a single vehicle (that's why a caravan is covered for third party risks while it's attached to its towcar)

That may be the case in the UK, but is certainly not on the other side of the Channel. A truck towing a trailer or a car towing a caravan is always treated as two vehicles, the argument being that if they were one vehicle, they'd have to be taxed and MOT'd together as one vehicle, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcloughie
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
So why have a restriction imposed!

The restriction will take into account not just one vehicle, but a whole convoy of vehicles passing over the bridge at the same time. Whether the convoy consists only of trucks or half the number of trucks towing trailers all of similar size, is immaterial.
What difference is it to the bridge if a truck of 7.5 tonnes towing a 7.5 tonne trailer or two 7.5 tonne trucks cross it in immediate succession?

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
So why have a restriction imposed! By your reasoning If I drive a truck grossing at 7.6 tonnes over a bridge with a 7.5 tonne limit I commit an offence but I could drive a truck weighing 7.49 tonnes towing a trailer weighing 7.49 tonnes across the same bridge without committing an offence?
A weight restriction applies to a vehicles Maximum Gross Weight. A Lorry and trailer is, in law, considered a single vehicle (that's why a caravan is covered for third party risks while it's attached to its towcar)

I would be grateful for a link that supports your assertion as I am always happy to increase my knowledge base, and likewise happy to be proven wrong (If I am that is)
In mainland Europe (not sure if all), trailers are regarded as a separate vehicle with their own registration identity - we don't do it that way in the UK.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Europe is not the only place with confusing or just bad signage.

Once when driving along a highway around Detroit I noticed that between the on/off ramps there where a number of bridges crossing over the highway. After going under several I came to one that had a height restriction on it. All the previous ones had nothing. If it was too low for you then your stuck - too late to get off and impossible to turn around.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts