European Vs UK caravans.

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 12, 2023
Visit site
Since there are no regulations specifying that tow hitch must point to the road - I do wonder why some sites insist on it - that's supposing there's enough room for a 6m gap whichever way you pitch.
I was once told it was for insurance reasons. The insurers insisted all caravans were parked ready to leave quickly in case of a flood / fire, and they were not willing to have you park with the doors facing the 'wrong' way (which makes sense on a hardstanding/gravel pitch as is common). Thats only happened to me once though. Most sites dont care as long as the door is on the right side.

Reactions: Beardy
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I was once told it was for insurance reasons. The insurers insisted all caravans were parked ready to leave quickly in case of a flood / fire, and they were not willing to have you park with the doors facing the 'wrong' way (which makes sense on a hardstanding/gravel pitch as is common). Thats only happened to me once though. Most sites dont care as long as the door is on the right side.
Sites I go to don't care which way round you pitch - there's enough room to pitch sideways if you want, and many do.

Reactions: Beardy
Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
Sites I go to don't care which way round you pitch - there's enough room to pitch sideways if you want, and many do.
I'm a newby so limited experience, but the bigger sites with hundreds of caravans parked in rows exactly 6m apart, all facing the same direction, don't appeal to me at all. The site I'm visiting next basically said (last time I visited) 'theres your hookup point, I'd appreciate it if you could avoid the bit where the last guests had their awning, other than that pitch where you want - I can lend you a longer cable if you need it'.

Reactions: Hutch
Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Spent bit time now working on new used Adria and very impressed with build quality and attention to detail. Our 2000 Bailey wasn't badly put together but just not quite in same league as Adria.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm sorry but some certainly used to I was ona CC site back the the 80's and two continental caravans arrived and parked up the wrong way, they were stopped in mid siting and told quite bruskly to turn them round.

You are correct there is no statutory regulation about it apart from local planning bylaws about spacing. But ultimately its up to th esite operator to set the sites rules.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I do think times have changed and pitching now has to be more precise, but the direction you face is generally optional.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts