eurotunnel

May 5, 2005
Visit site
have been on solo and it looks really tight getting a van on .What is it like as I have enough Tesco vouchers to go on in february.

Thanks a lot

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi David

Have no worries about taking your caravan on eurotunnel. We have a large outfit (around 40ft) and have never had any problems.The staff are very helpful when guiding you on and it is not that tight if you take your time.

The caravans do not go in the same carriages as the cars so are you getting a little confused?.The openings are large and should not be a problem.

Hope this helps to put your mind at rest.

Regards

Nidge

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
David,

It's easy - easier than driving a large car onto the double decker car-carriages - at each end of the coach and caravan train, there is a flat-bed wagon that gives you plenty of space to drive straight into the double height carriage.

Robert

Jul 31, 2006
Visit site
David,

It's easy - easier than driving a large car onto the double decker car-carriages - at each end of the coach and caravan train, there is a flat-bed wagon that gives you plenty of space to drive straight into the double height carriage.

Robert
David,

It's a dodle!!!! could'nt be easier getting into & out of the double height carriages, just follow the loading staff's instructions & you'll wonder what was all the fuss about.

GeorgeB

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That is the only snag with an LPG powered car - we can't use the tunnell!! Crazily though, motorhomes with fixed gas tanks for domestic use, which fill from the same pump, are accepted.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
This land has a history linked to the sea and seafarers. If

we don't keep the ferries going what will the forces use if we need to protect ourselves again ?

Its a nice little relaxing cruise across the channel and gives a far more aestectic edge to start or finish of a holiday compared to tunneling under ;-0

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I only hope you don't run into the same weather conditions that we had when we went through the tunnel in February 1996 (anyone remember the freak snowstorm we had on the 19th/20th of that year?). When we turned up at Folkestone around midday we found the gates of the terminal shut because there were no trains (the train drivers could get to their shift because of the snow) and we had to sit out in the cold until they let us in just after 4pm. In the end, the first train didn't leave until 6pm and that got stuck in the tunnel because there was so much melting snow on the vehicles that the airconditioning in the carriages played havoc and set the alarm system off. After being stuck in the tunnel for over 2 hours because of a technical breakdown in the train ahead of us, our train had to reverse back out again to make a second attempt. We didn't arrive in Calais until after 10pm. What was supposed to be a 45 minute journey turned out to be 9 hours including all the waiting.

I don't want to put anyone off using the tunnel but I just want to point out that it can also be affected by inclement weather, just like the ferries.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I only hope you don't run into the same weather conditions that we had when we went through the tunnel in February 1996 (anyone remember the freak snowstorm we had on the 19th/20th of that year?). When we turned up at Folkestone around midday we found the gates of the terminal shut because there were no trains (the train drivers could get to their shift because of the snow) and we had to sit out in the cold until they let us in just after 4pm. In the end, the first train didn't leave until 6pm and that got stuck in the tunnel because there was so much melting snow on the vehicles that the airconditioning in the carriages played havoc and set the alarm system off. After being stuck in the tunnel for over 2 hours because of a technical breakdown in the train ahead of us, our train had to reverse back out again to make a second attempt. We didn't arrive in Calais until after 10pm. What was supposed to be a 45 minute journey turned out to be 9 hours including all the waiting.

I don't want to put anyone off using the tunnel but I just want to point out that it can also be affected by inclement weather, just like the ferries.
I should of course have said "the train drivers couldn't get to their shift"

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

we don't keep the ferries going what will the forces use if we need to protect ourselves again ?

Its a nice little relaxing cruise across the channel and gives a far more aestectic edge to start or finish of a holiday compared to tunneling under ;-0
And what about the people who work for the Chunnel company?

Sack em?

Dec 19, 2006
Visit site
No probs with getting the outfit on or off the train

BUT

Did not find it any quicker that the ferry because

a)...On the way out, there was a huge backlog because an accident on London's Magic Roundabout had delayed the arrival of passengers on the previous (Friday) evening which resulted in a delay which meant that although we were booked on a 8.00am ish crossing, we did not leave till 11.00am ish.....But the ferries were probably the same to be fair.

b).The return journey was delayed because our train and the next one were cancelled due to "technical" issues. Strange thing was..The passengers from the 2 cancelled trains managed to fit on the next train as well as those booked on it. Was the "technical" issue that non full trains loose money so have to be cancelled?

Have a good summer.

Dodger

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi All,

This comment is for "David" who started this thread.

Can I inform you all that P&O now accept Tesco vouchers for their Dover-Calais route.

It doesn't say so in any of the blurb on the Tesco website but I booked my trip with them last week. Admittedly I'm going in March(coming back April) but it only cost me

May 5, 2005
Visit site
we are now thinking of beginning of March,spoiled for choice so as to speak.Is there somewhere near to Tunnel to stay ,have stayed in carpark by harbour in Dover with no problem but shame to drive past then back.May use ferry anyway,there is much to be said for both.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
we are now thinking of beginning of March,spoiled for choice so as to speak.Is there somewhere near to Tunnel to stay ,have stayed in carpark by harbour in Dover with no problem but shame to drive past then back.May use ferry anyway,there is much to be said for both.
Last year we arrived at Dover 1hr 55mins before our scheduled departure time and the "madame" on the arrival gate pointed this out to us. We in turn pointed out that we had towed a caravan 330miles and it was hardly possible to get the timing right.

We were issued with an ultimatum. Either we pay

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
del,what do you do to get vouchers used do they take numbers over the phone or do tesco deal with it.

Thanks
Hi David,

I'll assume that the Tesco vouchers you have are relatively "new" I say this because I had an old

May 5, 2005
Visit site
I forgot to mention that the Tesco code for converting your vouchers is the P&O code for crossing the channel.I know it doesn't mention Dover-Calais (its one of the Portsmouth sailings from memory) but you will be able to confirm with P&O at Dover that they do accept the tokens.
Thanks a lot for that,you did well to sort that lot out. will give it a go

Dave

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site

Well we don't need the French ones ;-)

And there are plenty of jobs here any way for the Brits or they wouldn't have the open border fiasco!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts