Excellent Car Insurance Discounts

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi

The policies on both our cars were due for renewal next month. Both were insured with Saga, Comprehensive with Social, Domestic and Pleasure and Business Class 1 (needed for our work). The Saga renewals came in at c£1150. I tried various comparison sites and looked in "Which?" magazine.

I discovered that if I joined CSMA, for a £16 annual fee, I could get discounts with LV/Frizzel, which was in 3rd Place in the "Which?" "Recommended car insurance providers". Saga was in 7th place! I joined CSMA online, on the strength of temporay employment in the Job Centre during the summer of 1978!!!

I then used the link to Frizzle insurance from the CSMA website to get online quotes. I had to phone up to query some details of the online quotes but was given the online discount when I phoned and subsequently purchased the policies over the phone. When I purchased the first, cheaper, policy from LV, this then entitled me to a further discount, as a policy holder with LV, when I purchased the policy for the second car.

These LV policy premiums enabled me to make total saving of just over £250/21%+ on the comparable renewal premiums with Saga. In addition I have the additional benefits/discounts of CSMA membership. The only disadvantage was that Saga allowed me to pay the premiums in quarterly installments without additional interest charges but then I saved almost the equivelant of one of those installments!!

I hope this information may help others to get cheaper car insurance.

Tim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've been with what is now LV for 20+ years also through CSMA and have never been able to better their premiums for the facilities I require, so hope you get good service too. You may have discovered already yo will get further discounts for another car and/or house insurance from them too. The european car cover is also good.

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
We too have been members of CSMA and insured both our cars through Frizzel, now LV, there are many other benefits being a member, such as very cheap tyre deals and car purchase etc Take a look on the CSMA website and see what else they have to offer, they have a caravan section that hold Rallies and a very friendly bunch of people who made us very welcome. ( Despite my Moniker, I have nothing to do with the Insurance Industry !!!)

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
I too have been with Frizzel/LV in the past but have changed insurers a few times over the years when they have "hiked-up" the renewal premiums. I wanted to get a "Which?" mag recommended one as to achieve that they have to have both a good customer service score and a high-scoring policy - cheap prices aren't much use if the policy or service is poor.

I didn't bother to ask Saga to match the cheaper policies this year. Last year when I tried this they "split hairs" about minor details of the alternative cover to argue that the lower quotes WEREN'T comparable.

As well as saving on the legal assistance, free from LV via CSMA I, was, also, able to not pay for Continental cover on our second car which is never likely to leave the UK. For our towcar LV's 180 days is, unfortunately, plenty for us - I'll have to rethink when we reach retirement!!!

Tim

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
SAGA no longer have special terms on behalf of those 50 and over. We were with them a few years ago and the first two years the premiums were okay and then they shot up by nearly 50% despite being claim free so we dumped them. My father also dumped them as his premium shot up after about 2 or 3 years.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts