Excess weight in the caravan

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Deceiving insurance companies in order to get a reduced premium is folly, pure and simple.

If your son doesn't think he will be found out at claim time he is deluding himself.

It's because of the likes of your deceipt and the fact you got away with it 'many moons ago' that insurance companies are wise to it now.
Agree 100%!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Many modern cars "hide" away data in their electronics which can be seen by dealers, manufacturers and insurance assessors - much of that "hidden" data is actually visible with good diagnostic software which is available to owners and independent workshops but the critical stuff can't be over-written by such software.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It surprises me that AlKo were not prepared to fit a higher rated axle because they do offer such a service on the Continent.
Recertification is something that that one can organise one’s self. You don’t need to go through an intermediary, but you would have to contact the Vehicle Certification Agency and submit all the paperwork to cover the modification so that an IVA can be carried out. What that costs, I‘ve no idea.
Alko were not particularly helpful to my requests and even once ordered the new axle was delivered late. But I would not have bothered with recertification even if available. I would have retained the MTPML of 1300 kg .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Changing the axle wouldn't have increased the MTPLM without re-certification by the caravan maker - I am watching the axle on my caravan and may need to replace it in the future - I enquired of Fraser-Brown who stated that even though my present 1500 kg axle would be rated for 1800 kg when rebuilt that even they couldn't re-certify the caravan to show an upgraded MTPLM.
I looked at FB and discussed it with them. I found a caravan workshop who would remove and refit the axle but who obviously did not want to accept responsibility for its performance or warranty. They also asked me to supply the shipping frame. Whilst I may have finished up with an improved axle the costs were nearing a straight order for an Alko replacement from my Swift dealer with full warranty responsibility.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you are over weight and supposedly illegal I am not sure how it can invalidate your insurance? Does this mean that when you park illegally your insurance is invalid? :ROFLMAO:

Caravan insurance as you have frequently pointed out sometimes includes limits on things like weight which if you exceed it the insurance may be void.

But if as the OP has stated they are exceeding the permitted vehicle weights ,
If you exceed a statutory weight or load limit, (and the same applies to speed limits) regardless of the amount you are illegal. The lawmakers do not set a tolerance on the limit, its black and white and absolute. Its the law enforcement officers that may apply a tolerance based of the capability of the measuring equipment. Because of the costs involved in pursuing a case, the enforcers will usually only pursue a case where there can be no reasonable doubt about the measurements used to prosecute.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Caravan insurance as you have frequently pointed out sometimes includes limits on things like weight which if you exceed it the insurance may be void.

But if as the OP has stated they are exceeding the permitted vehicle weights ,
If you exceed a statutory weight or load limit, (and the same applies to speed limits) regardless of the amount you are illegal. The lawmakers do not set a tolerance on the limit, its black and white and absolute. Its the law enforcement officers that may apply a tolerance based of the capability of the measuring equipment. Because of the costs involved in pursuing a case, the enforcers will usually only pursue a case where there can be no reasonable doubt about the measurements used to prosecute.
The OP was in reference to the caravan and not the towing vehicle? Although the info is pertinent to the vehicle, I am not sure why the towing vehicle is even being discussed?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts