Exit Entry System EES

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone know for May 2023 when the new European EES will commence. I have seen various missives showing proposals for banks of registration machines in airport lobbies but not very much relating to how it will be managed for ferry travel. We are thinking of going to France and Germany from the first week in June and would prefer to go when the initial chaos has subsided. :ROFLMAO:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Whether this helps I don't know but I have tried to serach the Gov.uk site without finding any update, so here is the link
What is the EES? The relationship between EES and ETIAS | ETIAS.info
Thanks. Reading it the trial at Helsinki airport doesn’t really relate to the summer exodus from Britain to Europe via Dover. Nowhere have I found anything as to how ferry travellers will be handled other than tablet devices could be used by passing them into the car. With say four passengers in a car that will take time and assumes everything works fine. The last time I went to India I opted for electronic entry and at the Border I was required to give fingerprints plus thumb print. Totally failed as a goodly part of my right thumb resides in the old Tremorfa steelworks in Cardiff. Totally confused the staff so they moved me over to the front of the non electronic queue. Not the sort of thing they would want in Calais.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Like most new practices and procedures, such things seldom start without any hiccups. It would be unrealistic to expect that things go smoothly at all borders right from the start. Some border controls will be better prepared than others, but it's difficult to say at this point in time which ones will have all the equipment up and running and the personnel trained on the first day. Some smaller ports of entry might need weeks before the queues get shorter. It's a bit like the lottery at the moment.
Sorry I can't be more explicit, but that's likely to be the position on day one. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes weeks, if not months, to be working properly across the board. Airports will undoubtedly receive preferential treatment, but I'm sure that the sheer volume of traffic via Calais, for example, will put pressure that things settle down very quickly.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Like most new practices and procedures, such things seldom start without any hiccups. It would be unrealistic to expect that things go smoothly at all borders right from the start. Some border controls will be better prepared than others, but it's difficult to say at this point in time which ones will have all the equipment up and running and the personnel trained on the first day. Some smaller ports of entry might need weeks before the queues get shorter. It's a bit like the lottery at the moment.
Sorry I can't be more explicit, but that's likely to be the position on day one. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes weeks, if not months, to be working properly across the board. Airports will undoubtedly receive preferential treatment, but I'm sure that the sheer volume of traffic via Calais, for example, will put pressure that things settle down very quickly.
Guess Portsmouth Caen in September might look a lower risk option, but there again a smaller port may get less attention to set things up, whereas the Dover Calais route would be the main focus given its importance. Perhaps Turkey might be a better choice in 2023.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Guess Portsmouth Caen in September might look a lower risk option, but there again a smaller port may get less attention to set things up, whereas the Dover Calais route would be the main focus given its importance. Perhaps Turkey might be a better choice in 2023.
How are you going to get your motorhome to Turkey without driving through the Schengen area? Maybe shipping it direct?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
How are you going to get your motorhome to Turkey without driving through the Schengen area? Maybe shipping it direct?
A motorhome? Just because I’ve given up caravanning I’ve not joined the “dark side”

Some EU citizens though do take caravans to Turkey. This Dutch one was at a caravaneserai near Konya in central Turkey.

FC133EB9-2565-47E3-A7C5-AAD803FE7285.jpeg

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
A motorhome? Just because I’ve given up caravanning I’ve not joined the “dark side”

Some EU citizens though do take caravans to Turkey. This Dutch one was at a caravaneserai near Konya in central Turkey.
Sorry, I assumed that as you are no longer tugging you would be motorhoming.
Yes, it is quite amazing where one finds people towing their caravan. Some years ago I met a German couple in Colorado who shipped their outfit across the Atlantic and were caravanning in the United States. Later, I also came across an Austrian registered motorhome in Amman, Jordan. They were on their way overland to South Africa. I myself have taken our caravan to Iceland.

Reactions: otherclive
Oct 31, 2022
Visit site
From reading the article it does not look like there is a huge change to the end user, the changes are mainly in the back end. At most I would assume a finger print reader being passed to you are the port, your passport is already scanned and the immigration official already compares your face to your photo. At airports it just looks like the automatic machines will be changed to add fingerprint readers where there are not already installed.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Machines cannot go on strike and a way forward for governments to save money in the long run and keep the country secure?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Machines cannot go on strike and a way forward for governments to save money in the long run and keep the country secure?
UK is set to introduce a similar system for entry/ exit controls but it seems to be moving to the right. Which may not be a bad thing as lessons will undoubtedly arise from the EU EES.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
UK is set to introduce a similar system for entry/ exit controls but it seems to be moving to the right. Which may not be a bad thing as lessons will undoubtedly arise from the EU EES.
I am wondering what happens when they have a power failure even if it is only for 30 minutes?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Any electrical system can have Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS) built in - at a cost.
Not sure how well UPS would work when there are multiple buildings however I would guess they already have such a system for screening of people currently entering a country.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not sure how well UPS would work when there are multiple buildings however I would guess they already have such a system for screening of people currently entering a country.
We don’t currently require fingerprints for people entering U.K. but the electronic passport gates that scan facial features and compare them to the passport photo and data have been in use quite a while. So adding fingerprint recognition would be an extension. Various methods for UPS so would not see that as a problem. The most significant time delay for EES will be initial capture of face and fingerprints and passport data. After that further visits should not cause undue delay as the biometric and passport are in the data base. How long validity will be I don’t know.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Year's ago we came into Gatwick or Heathow and went through the, fairly new, face recognition system. But it couldn't recognise mine. The officer tried it about 3 times then sent me to the supervisor desk. They took one look. Said take your glasses off. And, yes it worked fine. Why the first person failed to see this beats me, it must happen all the time.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Year's ago we came into Gatwick or Heathow and went through the, fairly new, face recognition system. But it couldn't recognise mine. The officer tried it about 3 times then sent me to the supervisor desk. They took one look. Said take your glasses off. And, yes it worked fine. Why the first person failed to see this beats me, it must happen all the time.

John
First time I went to go to an electronic gate at Heathrow an agent asked if I’d used one before. No I said. She then directed me to a manned desk. How was one going to learn to use an electronic gate with that attitude. Next time you could guess my answer should I be asked the same question.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts