Expanding & Contracting side walls

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Just got back from 3 nights away, I'm knackered!!!
Does any one else suffer from the side walls expanding and contracting?
It's constant and none stop, sounds like a blimmin machine gun going off!!
Mornings when sun rises it starts so no chance of a lie in and thats after a restless night with it cooling down and contracting.
Even parked it up on my drive earlier and its still at it when I walked past it.
Thoughts go to more hairline cracks due to excessive movements on the panels, or am I over thinking it.

Had nothing like this with my last van.

Any thoughts/opinions folks except to get rid!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have to report that a 1980's caravan had a similar problem with the roof, in hot sunshine it would buckle upwards and leave gap of up to 25mm between the top of the washroom and the underside of the roof. However I can't say it made any noise that disturbed us. Perhaps it happened whilst we out and about.

Reactions: Gagakev
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We had a Lunar that did similar and you could see the walls pulling away from the inside furniture. It went back to the factory and the issue was resolved and we had it for many more years afterwards. It had one of the betst layouts at the time which is why we hung onto it for so long.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
We had a 2014 Swift that was awful for this, you could hear it creaking and groaning as the day got warmer. The roof was composite with aluminium outer skin, in hot weather the aluminium expanded and buckled the roof upwards, tearing it away from the fixings into the furniture, other Swift owners reported similar issues on Swift Talk. Our dealer replaced the screws etc and retightened everything but after 18 months we traded it in for one with a GRP outer roof skin, problem solved!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts