Experience and testing

Sep 5, 2017
Visit site
After my first posting some months ago and after reading at considerable length about caravans and all the challenges that come before me before I took the plunge into the caravan world and buying my own little space of happiness, towing seamed to be the crucial thing for me and weights and how the car will handle with a caravan on the back .
First of all I found some difficulties on asking for a test tow or a test drive with the caravan it seams this is not the done thing ,!which I found a little strange as you would not buy a vehicle without a test drive anyway maybe it’s just me after all there is so much information on line that maybe I would not need the test drive .
So how to choose ?stilll fixed on my idea of towing different vans to actually find out how it would feel , making friends with caravan owners was easy and very interesting but when I asked if I could tow their van they naturally declined
So on to my last option was to hire a van which I managed to do twice first caravan was a swift challenger sport 554 1343kg and the second a Abby aventura 1183kg both towed surprisingly well although I was surprised by the movement of each of the vans especially on motorways and dual carriageway, we did have a found 70kgs in each of the vans and 150kgs in the car .the car I used to tow was a Skoda Yeti 4 wheel drive 2.0ltr 2016 so I was in 85% golden rule but the movement still was a bit bothering me trucks passing Or myself passing a larger vehicle maybe with atc there’s more stability, my moans are very small and more than likely I would get used to the movement however I was not 100% convinced it’s also worth noting that nearly all the weight was in the car and not the caravan .
As luck would come some weeks later after along cup of coffee and afternoon chat with newly found friend whom I will call bill I had the chance that I had been looking for ,a chance to tow a twin axle caravan , bills car was get bit old and he been looking at the Skoda Yeti but wasn’t sure how his sprite Quattro EB would feel on the back 1419 kg unladen however we did pop along to the weigh bridge and it weighed in at 1540kgs
It’s worth noting my car is 1560 Kgs so we were approaching limits .
Needless to say we covered 160miles in one day uphill down hill motorways and towns overtaking and being overtaken , from my perspective the caravan felt so much more stable on the back of the skoda no movement what so ever I think the frase is “strong and stable” I felt very lucky to have this experience
I think my point that I’m trying to make how is it possible to find the right caravan unless you can actually tow the van in question ? Surely more dealers should encourage this kind of practice I mean I would have settled on the single axle caravan having never tried towing a twin axle
We can have all the data in the world but if it does not feel right it’s unhappy towing for along time
Is anyone else towing near the 100% ?

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Bigfoot, hi ,
I think you're always going to find that towing an empty van there will be a lot more movement in it , cos it's empty and you'll always get a bit rocking motion when you pass or get passed by an HGV or LGV or wait till you try or pass or be passed by a car transporter ! The joys of motoring !
Happy towing & touring !
Craig .

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " the car I used to tow was a Skoda Yeti 4 wheel drive 2.0ltr 2016 so I was in 85% golden rule"

There is no such thing as a "Golden Rule of 85%"
The figure was plucked out of the air decades ago and has NO LEGAL standing whatsoever.
It is, however a sensible guide for the novice starting out.

Going on to th etype of caravan, one of the most important things is having the correct noseweight, as close to the limits of the towball or chassis, whichever is lowest.
Towing an empty van is always a bit on the lively side, especially single axle vans.
Twin axle vans have the advantage of having 4 wheels on the ground, so appear more stable.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Bigfoot , after rereading your first post from a few months ago , why do you need to take the caravan out to tow to see what it's like when you're an HGV driver yourself , it's just a smaller version trailer ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Bigfoot, hi ,
I think you're always going to find that towing an empty van there will be a lot more movement in it , cos it's empty and you'll always get a bit rocking motion when you pass or get passed by an HGV or LGV or wait till you try or pass or be passed by a car transporter ! The joys of motoring !
Happy towing & touring !
Craig .

and

Craigyoung said:
Bigfoot , after rereading your first post from a few months ago , why do you need to take the caravan out to tow to see what it's like when you're an HGV driver yourself , it's just a smaller version trailer ?

There may be some truth in Craig's first comment but when you consider the payload of most vans is no greater than 15% of the MTPLM, the difference between empty and loaded is not that much so its unlikely to make a great difference to the caravans response to windage from other road users.

However where the payload will make a difference, is in setting an appropriate nose load, which does have a significant effect on towing stability.

Craig's second comment I have to assume was rather naive, An HGV driver's skill will definitely pay dividends especially in considering the time and space to make an outfit needs, The ability to read the road and weather conditions and how other drivers may react around you, But most HGV drivers who also caravan will tell you the characteristics of towing caravan are quite different to towing a articulated trailer.

The main axle system of a caravan is roughly half way along the caravans body resulting in a relatively large overhang with mass which radically differs from most Artic Trailers where the wheels are much closer to the rear of the trailer.

The HGV trailer transfers much more of its loaded weight to tractor unit, which because of the fifth wheel tow coupling system actually make the tractor unit heavier on both its axles.

HGV's are designed such the load can easily exceed the unladen weight of the tractor unit.

These there aspects alone introduce significant differences between towing a domestic caravans and driving articulated HGV's and require the driver to hone a different set of skills. So I am impressed that Bigfoot is taking the hobby seriously.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Prof, apologies but I was not meant to come across as naive but could bigfoot not take his car along to a caravan Club session where they teach you how to tow sessions and reverse through the club and experience one of their caravans on their track/roads/course to give him that feel as to what to expect ?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Prof, apologies but I was not meant to come across as naive but could bigfoot not take his car along to a caravan Club session where they teach you how to tow sessions and reverse through the club and experience one of their caravans on their track/roads/course to give him that feel as to what to expect ?
The CC course that I attended had very small unladen vans and didn’t go on any track or road. It was only slow speed manoeuvres plus the very valuable class room sessions. Like many others I gained experience by starting off light and gradually cars and vans got bigger. Now I’ve reached cruising altitude and am on my descent, but hopefully not final landing approach.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
If you were to try out the same caravan empty and laden it would tow differently so it really isn't something that's going to catch on at all, dealers are hardly going to ballast up a 'van just for people to give it a go, let alone a novice. Indeed then there's the change in weight distribution that will effect how it tows, often this is a trial and error thing anyway to get the 'van to feel right. You would then need to be on a variety of different roads with differing wind directions and surfaces, not to mention passing and being passed by a variety of different vehicles. Then of course once you have your perfect weight match you may decide or have no choice in changing the car or caravan and it would all have to start again. In answer to towing near the limit, never have and probably never will.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm like Clive. I had never towed a caravan before in my life but since the early ages of driving I've towed trailers up to 10 ft long single axle double axle now I'm a bus driver but I didn't think about taking a caravan out to test one before I bought one. I done it and gradually gained my experience by going out more and more . now we've gone from our lower entry level lightweight van to what we have now and can't get enough of it so I think bigfoot will pick it up very quick . It's all trial and error .
Good luck bigfoot .
Craig .

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
I must admit that it did not occur to me that there would be any great difficulty in towing a caravan because lots of others were already doing it; however I did anticipate some difficulty with reversing. I therefore took the caravan manoeuvring course just prior to collecting our first van, something that I consider value for money.

Sep 5, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for reply and understanding of the HGV as you have accurately stated about the trailer and the fifth wheel and also the load, it’s ture I’ve been driving HGV for around 20 years and never really towed a caravan for any length of time and to be honest I was never that interested but over the passed few years my interest has gained more pace , one thing you do notice particularly while having coffee in service stations a wander over to the caravan park and saying hello to people who are more than happy to talk about their experiences
In short of it I think caravaners are such a friendly bunch I have never run into someone who has given me the cold shoulder!
I’m really looking forward to joining the great community of caravaners
And I would like to say thankyou to yourself and everyone who has commented it’s great to learn from others
And yes towing the caravan is nothing like towing a trailer on a HGV so us truck drivers or this one doesn’t know everything
I’m still amazed how much manufactures of caravan can fit so much in ,its better than a hotel room
Thanks guys
Gavin

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Obviously I cannot answer for Bigfoot, but my suspicions is; he/she's not overly concerned about the manoeuvring the outfit, but more how the outfit feels when being driven. I have to agree with others who have said the feel is highly dependant on how the outfit is loaded, especially concerning the nose load.

The towing awareness courses are good, and especially useful for those who have not towed before, but even these cannot readily demonstrated the difference between specific makes of caravans, and of course the impact of the payload.

Once the basics of manoeuvring have been acquired, its more a question of suck it and see in relation to becoming familiar with the characteristics of any particular out fit.

Start "low and slow" only building up weight and speed when you are satisfied you have a grasp on the characteristics and the early warning signs of when the system is beginning to loose control.

I would start with ensuring the outfit is legal weight wise, and has at least 75% of its permitted nose load, then trial different nose loads ( keeping it within the permitted allowance) to find the one that provides the most confidence to the driver. However never believe the characteristics won't change because they are affected by road and weather conditions as well as how the car and caravan are loaded.

I reiterate that there are some combinations of car and trailer that despite looking good on paper can be very skittish and unsettling to drive, and others where even at high weight ratios the outfit seen very settled.

But equally give the same car and caravan to different people and their opinion about how it tows can be highly varied.

Whilst there are some bits of general guidance that seem to offer ways of approaching towing, and of course there are the regulations that set some absolute limits, there are no certainties in this game, its a question of juggling the variables until you find a set that works for you.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Prof
when you queried as to whether bigfoot is a he or she, did the name "Gavin" not give it away at the end of his last post !! :p

No
becasue I started to compose my comment before Gavin had made is last post, and I posted after. :silly:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
In addition to the good advice already offered on this thread I'd add that there are articles containing advice and tips on correct caravan loading procedures Here.
Most of the visible text on the Practical Caravan webpage consists of clickable links, for example it's possible to click on the grey text within the yellow page header to navigate to advice, blogs, news etc. From there use the drop down boxes at the top left and right to select the categories that you are looking for.
I'm a retired ex-hgv driver and I tow a twin axle (t/a) caravan.
Correct loading within legal limits and noseweight as close to the maximum specification for your outfit, again without exceeding the limits, are key issues in terms of real world caravan stability.
Ruts on motorway lanes one and two created by HGVs can induce some side to side movement no matter whether you own a single or twin axle caravan, and great care must be taken if you decide to overtake HGV's on downhill stretches of carriage way. It might be better to stay with the HGV's on motorways at around 50-55mph and allow them to overtake you for the first couple of trips until you are 100% confident and proficient in the stability and handling of your loaded outfit, after all, you're going on a break or a holiday so why rush?
Happy caravanning :)

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Gavin ,
It was on trial and error again for us this year as we went on holiday with a new tow car, and nearly an extra 2m in length on the new caravan compared to the last one, plus two adult mountain bikes on the bike carrier on the back of the caravan ! Didnt take to long to adjust and get used to it though . Just take your time, it's better to arrive safely than not to arrive at all.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Gavin ,
It was on trial and error again for us this year as we went on holiday with a new tow car, and nearly an extra 2m in length on the new caravan compared to the last one, plus two adult mountain bikes on the bike carrier on the back of the caravan ! Didnt take to long to adjust and get used to it though . Just take your time, it's better to arrive safely than not to arrive at all.

Lady Therapy is going to have to get used to the increased length in February. We'll be up to 42' now :whistle:

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I recently towed the caravan 60 miles each way to the dealers nearly empty and frankly there was no real difference in the behaviour although both ways the weather was kind to me. I have towed empty caravans many times and I have never had a problem so provided the OP towed in similar weather conditions each time I would think he would get a fair idea of the stability of the combination. I do agree though that different combinations that on paper should work might not do so.

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Bigfoot100 said:
I found some difficulties on asking for a test tow or a test drive with the caravan it seams this is not the done thing ,!which I found a little strange as you would not buy a vehicle without a test drive
LoL, buying a used car two years ago I found some difficulties on asking for a test drive even for that. Especially as used dealers tend to have cars hemmed in by other cars and don't want to shift them all, and one salesman could only offer me a test drive because "The boss is not around at the moment" (after anxiously checking the office). Needless to say I wasted no more time at those dealers who refused me a drive. I did not think I lacked credibility that badly, or I otherwise conclude that many people do buy a car without a test drive. My father-in-law always did.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts